Motorola's ICS Device Specific Update Plans Released

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmm why is the motorola razr (international) seeing updates in q2 but in the us droid razr may not see it until possible q3 at the earliest? :frown:

Look no farther than the ugly V logo on your phone. They are always the source of these delays. Big Red will never get their crap together.

Hail

Reaction score
A selling point for me.... I still love this Razr Maxx though.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

BigZig

Reaction score
I said i would not root my BIONIC because i became addicted to flashing roms every 5 mins with my OG Droid. but looks like i will have to bite the bullet on this to get some version of ICS before i upgrade again. Once i do upgrade again you better believe i will not be getting a Moto.(Should have waited for the Nexus).

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Yall aren't looking at it from a software developer's mind....

4.0x just came out less than 3 months ago. Would you rather....

1) Put it on your flagship devices as fast as possible and watch the consumers moan and cry about stability and performance
2) Wait until the bugs are ironed out and give the consumers a stable version of ICS

There's SO many things still needing fixed in ICS right now. I catch bugs or performance issues all the time on my nexus. Why risk it on millions of devices????

Even more importantly, do people NEED ICS?

Think about it

You got a new smartphone user. First smartphone ever (or someone who switched from BB/IOS)

They bought a Razr in Nov. It's Feb. Projected rollout for ICS is...let's say May. That's less than 6 months of learning gingerbread (which they don't even know they're running. I bet big money on that!) to being forced to update OTA to ICS....where it's nothing like GB. New features to learn. New functions. New swipes. New everything.

It's going to fluster 'em. AND it might have bugs since it's so early?!?!?! You got bad word of mouth on your hands and someone ragging Android in general out to all their friends!

The company I work at...we don't release software until needed and try not overlap if it ain't broke. If X runs 1.4 perfectly, and 1.5 is different....we keep them on 1.4 and let the new folks run 1.5 until it just makes sense to run 1.5 across the board.

The general public won't know/won't care that Moto isn't bringing ICS to you ASAP. And you probably should be happy you ain't getting it until it's ready. They promised it in the future, and you'll get it. Don't worry.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think this coincides with the news/rumors from last week about Google not directly supporting CDMA devices - the CDMA network poses special issues for these OS's.

i was originally pretty torn between the RAZR and GNex, and ended up with the GNex. very happy with my decision. but, this news really stinks for people (like CK) who factored into their buying decision the fact that their were reports/assertions that ICS would come to the RAZR in early 2012. i genuinely feel bad for them - they paid dang good money for a dang good device to Moto and VZW, and now Moto and VZW are jerking them around.

at this point, i think a simple firing of Jha is too good - there needs to be a public flogging to go along with it.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Take your time Moto.. Get the bugs ironed out... Well maybe not THAT much time..

----posted maxx'ed out----

ambrown

Reaction score
I will gone by then on to another device or devices

Yeah, by the time most devices get the update the new phones just coming out should be ICS native... Unless they're dumb enough to keep putting out phones with stock gingerbread :|

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I hear people saying that you want it bug free and all that, but honestly when Moto releases it, it's still going to have bugs. It takes them way too long to do upgrades. Pretty much all devices have bugs, I would rather have a device with the newest OS than something old that's going to have bugs too. The bugs that are in ICS really aren't that bad, or maybe they just seem that way to me since I'm not running 4.0.2. You can't even run Chrome if you have GB. Maybe some people really don't care about updates, but me personally, I would like to have the most features possible and each update brings more functionality.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
huskerkate said:
i think this coincides with the news/rumors from last week about Google not directly supporting CDMA devices - the CDMA network poses special issues for these OS's.

i was originally pretty torn between the RAZR and GNex, and ended up with the GNex. very happy with my decision. but, this news really stinks for people (like CK) who factored into their buying decision the fact that their were reports/assertions that ICS would come to the RAZR in early 2012. i genuinely feel bad for them - they paid dang good money for a dang good device to Moto and VZW, and now Moto and VZW are jerking them around.

at this point, i think a simple firing of Jha is too good - there needs to be a public flogging to go along with it.

I'm pretty good Husker. The handset has run perfectly and I'm not the least bit anxious to get ICS. I've seen it and used it. While its going to be great I can wait. No complaints on my end to be perfectly honest

Sent from my DROID RAZR

CBdubz

Reaction score
Yall aren't looking at it from a software developer's mind....

4.0x just came out less than 3 months ago. Would you rather....

1) Put it on your flagship devices as fast as possible and watch the consumers moan and cry about stability and performance
2) Wait until the bugs are ironed out and give the consumers a stable version of ICS

There's SO many things still needing fixed in ICS right now. I catch bugs or performance issues all the time on my nexus. Why risk it on millions of devices????

Even more importantly, do people NEED ICS?

Think about it

You got a new smartphone user. First smartphone ever (or someone who switched from BB/IOS)

They bought a Razr in Nov. It's Feb. Projected rollout for ICS is...let's say May. That's less than 6 months of learning gingerbread (which they don't even know they're running. I bet big money on that!) to being forced to update OTA to ICS....where it's nothing like GB. New features to learn. New functions. New swipes. New everything.

It's going to fluster 'em. AND it might have bugs since it's so early?!?!?! You got bad word of mouth on your hands and someone ragging Android in general out to all their friends!

The company I work at...we don't release software until needed and try not overlap if it ain't broke. If X runs 1.4 perfectly, and 1.5 is different....we keep them on 1.4 and let the new folks run 1.5 until it just makes sense to run 1.5 across the board.

The general public won't know/won't care that Moto isn't bringing ICS to you ASAP. And you probably should be happy you ain't getting it until it's ready. They promised it in the future, and you'll get it. Don't worry.
No one cares how they feel! please the costumers

CBdubz

Reaction score
By the time the Razr gets ICS there will be a new OTA upgrade probably named Chessecake or something -_-