Motorola Xoom Traveling Experience

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Xoom1.jpg

When released over a month ago, the Motorola Xoom was one heck of a tablet. The Xoom had every feature you’d have on your phone and some that made your laptop envious. But, does this combination equal the perfect traveling device? Thanks to my local Verizon PR firm, I got the chance to take a review model of the Motorola Xoom with me on a trip to Florida just a few weeks back and I thought I would share my experience.

Portability:
Many have voiced their opinion on the Xoom, calling it too heavy and big. In my experience with the Xoom, it was just right. Carrying it in my laptop backpack next to my HP Dv4, the Xoom did not take too much room away from my books. It slid right in and while it’s not the thinnest Android tablet on the block, (I think the Galaxy Tab 10.1 takes the cake for that), it certainly isn’t too thick. Pulling out the Xoom for security check was not too hard, and did not require me to put much force into getting it from my already cramped backpack.
When I was walking, the device felt good. Although, it did in fact get heavy at the end of the trip, it mostly felt just right and the size of it was certainly not a problem for me considering I have pretty big hands.
While it’s slightly bigger than most, it is not to a point where it’s unusable, so the size is just right. But, this device will not and should not win the portability championship award.

Features:
This is really where the Xoom puts everything else in the dust, including the iPad. The Xoom has more features than I have room to list. Thanks to the new Honeycomb OS, Android is certainly not the weak point of this tablet as it was the case with the Galaxy Tab. Honeycomb has a host of new features over previously used Froyo. It even comes with support for the new Tegra II dual core processor on a tablet optimized UI.

Traveling with the Xoom made me love technology even more. Things I would have needed my laptop for could be done on the Xoom. I was browsing the web, creating a Wi-Fi hotspot for some iPad owners, taking pictures, playing games, listening to music and everything else that I could do while sitting there for 3 hours. The time there was noticeably shorter because I was distracted, and unlike the experience I had with the Galaxy Tab, the Xoom didn’t break a sweat going back and forth through all these running applications. That alone makes this a great buy.

Xoom2.jpg

Overall:

If you’ve been considering getting the Xoom for whatever reason, I’d say go for it. This tablet is nothing short of pure awesomeness, and while the price is a bit much, you’re not getting anything less than what you’d get if you paid for a phone in the same price range --which I do all the time. If you’re looking at getting a 3G model, Verizon is the best company for that. I say this because I was in Pensacola where T-mobile has almost no bars. Luckily for me, my phone can us Wi-Fi for reception and Verizon had great 3G coverage down there, which meant during the whole trip, my phone was tethered to the Xoom just to make calls and get SMS messages. For those of you that like standing out, this is what you want. I received countless views and question asking what this was and if it was better than the iPad, which of course my response was, yes.

With all that said, if the Xoom is just not for you, Verizon and others will most likely be getting the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 soon. So, if you have time to hold out, I’d wait for that, but this goes to show you that even with its size, the Motorola Xoom is always going to be a pleasure to travel with.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
That's great that you had a good experience with it, but it was a free experience. The Xoom is overpriced, especially with these other tablets coming out. I'd take the Asus Transformer over the Xoom any day.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's great that you had a good experience with it, but it was a free experience. The Xoom is overpriced, especially with these other tablets coming out. I'd take the Asus Transformer over the Xoom any day.

First I travel extensively right now so much so the Xoom has already gone more than 4k miles. It has replaced my lalptop in every way while I am away from work. It isn't over priced at all. You just don't see the value in the hardware as it's the same dollars the ipad is.

As far as the asus goes since it isnt released yet its hard to say. though I can say with 100% belief the Xoom is the best tablet on the market right now hands down. It is also the one that will get updated and support from Google first which will make the ownership experience better than say my galaxy tab. Over all a 9 out of 10 since Sd card support hasnt been enabled

cpjr

Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......and so is value.

It all depends on your needs ;)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......and so is value.

It all depends on your needs ;)

Agreed.....

I get to use it all from phones to tablets and having more than one unit here to play with. The Xoom is the best so far. I am waiting for the HTC tablet to roll since I like sense UI and I would like to see it on a tablet

cpjr

Reaction score
I had an iPad (and loved it), but sold it shortly before I knew they were going to be announcing the ipad2 so I could get my money back out of it (sold it for what I paid for it).

Love the Xoom but Im holding off to take a look at HTC's also and will probably end up with it or the Xoom.

zenman77

Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving my Xoom wifi/3g and purchased a wifi version for my Mom and she could'nt be happier either. After using it, I don't feel that it was overpriced at all and I did'nt at the time of purchase for that matter. There are some great products out there and as I always assert, we come out the winner as these companies battle for our attention and dollars.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
This table is nothing short of pure awesomeness, and while the price is a bit much, you’re not getting anything less than what you’d get if you paid for a phone in the same price range

Except my phone didn't cost anywhere near as much as this Xoom

accellpo

Reaction score
Great review! I haven't seen anything yet that would make me give up my Xoom. The newer tablets coming will have close to the same specs, or worse. But the real difference is the Xoom will probably get updates 1st.

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This table is nothing short of pure awesomeness, and while the price is a bit much, you’re not getting anything less than what you’d get if you paid for a phone in the same price range

You most buy your phone with contracts then. My last 4 phones have cost me $540... without contracts because I don't like commitments ;)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

First I travel extensively right now so much so the Xoom has already gone more than 4k miles. It has replaced my lalptop in every way while I am away from work. It isn't over priced at all. You just don't see the value in the hardware as it's the same dollars the ipad is.

As far as the asus goes since it isnt released yet its hard to say. though I can say with 100% belief the Xoom is the best tablet on the market right now hands down. It is also the one that will get updated and support from Google first which will make the ownership experience better than say my galaxy tab. Over all a 9 out of 10 since Sd card support hasnt been enabled

Yeah I can see how it would be worth it if you're replacing your laptop with it. Me on the other hand, I won't be replacing my laptop with it. I'll just have it in addition. So, to me it's just not worth the price. Although I can afford it, it's not really beneficial to me to go spend hundreds on a device that I can't use as a main device. Of course, I'm just a college student right now. Maybe once I'm making 6 figures I can just start buying these things as soon as they come out for the heck of it.

Detonation

Reaction score

You most buy your phone with contracts then. My last 4 phones have cost me $540... without contracts because I don't like commitments ;)

Contract or not, you still have to pay $600+ for the Xoom. At least with phones you have the option to pay much less if you're willing to sign a contract.