Motorola Xoom Parts Priced

Big Ry

Reaction score
Markup on electronics is a turd.

True, there's a lot of room for these prices to come down. But point of contention - those prices don't include R&D, marketing and distribution costs.

What I take from that is it's got about $35 more in parts and retails for about $70 more than the IPad. Doesn't seem outrageous, but then again there's a lot more competition out there than with the launch of the IPad so you would have expected price to go in the opposite direction.

Also, not sure if that includes the LTE hardware or if that's a "free" upgrade.

I know, but they are making bank at the same time.

Another good example, got a friend who is a Best Buy store manager, so when I need something I let him grab it....

Stuff like TVs dont have alot of markup, but accessories and such are CRAZY.

I bought a flat panel TV wall mount and 2 HDMI cables a couple months ago, price tag at BB:

Wall mount - $149
HDMI cable - $79 EACH
Total - $307 + tax

My buddy paying actual store cost:

Wall mount - $27
HDMI cable - $6.99 each
Total - $40.98 + tax

Yeah, $266 difference.

Monoprice(dot).com

40" 180° swivle tilting wall mount $26
HDMI cable <$5

I nearly pooped a brick when I discovered this place. My 40" sammy is still hanging just fine and no issues with the HDMI or other cables (microUSB) that I've bought there :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm so disappointed with Motorola's ineptitude with the Xoom. I've been putting off buying a 10" tablet for a year now just waiting to see what Android would offer. No offense Archos 101 owners but that thing looks and feels like a cheap toy. Paying $800 for a Xoom with features that cost extra and that I don't even want (3G), I'm flat out tired of waiting. I don't feel like rooting or jailbreaking I just wanted an internet tablet with decent screen real estate and strong specs for future growth. Moto is just jerking us around with the wifi model, and guess what...

...I'm out.

If the iPad2 has half decent specs tomorrow and is available I'm placing my order.

Dumb Motorola... DUMB. You just lost one customer, and the longer you wait to release the wifi tablet the more that will respond just like me.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I'm so disappointed with Motorola's ineptitude with the Xoom. I've been putting off buying a 10" tablet for a year now just waiting to see what Android would offer. No offense Archos 101 owners but that thing looks and feels like a cheap toy. Paying $800 for a Xoom with features that cost extra and that I don't even want (3G), I'm flat out tired of waiting. I don't feel like rooting or jailbreaking I just wanted an internet tablet with decent screen real estate and strong specs for future growth. Moto is just jerking us around with the wifi model, and guess what...

...I'm out.

If the iPad2 has half decent specs tomorrow and is available I'm placing my order.

Dumb Motorola... DUMB. You just lost one customer, and the longer you wait to release the wifi tablet the more that will respond just like me.

You know you can get the Xoom on Motorola's site using the coupon for $600 right?

cpjr

Reaction score
True, there's a lot of room for these prices to come down. But point of contention - those prices don't include R&D, marketing and distribution costs.

What I take from that is it's got about $35 more in parts and retails for about $70 more than the IPad. Doesn't seem outrageous, but then again there's a lot more competition out there than with the launch of the IPad so you would have expected price to go in the opposite direction.

Also, not sure if that includes the LTE hardware or if that's a "free" upgrade.

I know, but they are making bank at the same time.

Another good example, got a friend who is a Best Buy store manager, so when I need something I let him grab it....

Stuff like TVs dont have alot of markup, but accessories and such are CRAZY.

I bought a flat panel TV wall mount and 2 HDMI cables a couple months ago, price tag at BB:

Wall mount - $149
HDMI cable - $79 EACH
Total - $307 + tax

My buddy paying actual store cost:

Wall mount - $27
HDMI cable - $6.99 each
Total - $40.98 + tax

Yeah, $266 difference.

For the record, the cheapest brand hdmi cables have been shown to provide at most a 1.4% (and hardly if at all noticable to the eye) difference in picture quality.

Back on topic!

True, but when I can buy the expensive, well made cables for $7 each, Im gonna ;)

cpjr

Reaction score

...I'm out.

You know you can get the Xoom on Motorola's site using the coupon for $600 right?

My understanding is that Motorola blocked the coupon code from working.

the3dolla

Reaction score

...I'm out.

Didn't think you could still do this.. can you?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

The Ocho Cinco 25% off code only worked for barely 2 hours last Friday night I think it was, before Motorola fixed their website.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I would have bought one too at $600 but no way would I pay 800. I can see that moto is thinking ok lets gouge the early adopters and then drop the price but that just smacks the face of your loyal customers. I guess apple has proven that people love to be slapped around and will keep coming back for more. oh well...

The other issue is how outrageously high phone retail prices are and that they have to make the tablets higher or phone buyers feel ripped off but that is a topic of another thread i guess...

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
These studies are always bogus. No one knows how much time went in to R&D, design, and engineering. Not to mention testing and troubleshooting. While the components may cost a certain amount, the cost to Motorola to bring this thing to market is significantly higher on a per unit basis.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just as an FYI... prices for ipad 2 are as follows

The iPad 2 will ship in six configurations: WiFi Only 16GB ($499 USD), 32GB ($599), 64GB ($699), and WiFi+ 3G 16GB ($629), 32GB ($729), 64GB ($829)

So the 32GB version with 3g, is about the same price as the xoom (80$ on a 750ish machine isn't going to be a breaking point for most). The xoom comes with an expansion slot for 32GB more (not working yet)

Last edited:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Jobs just said it during his Apple presentation. They just posted the prices at the Apple Store it hits the shelves on the 11th. They lowered the original base model first generation iPad to $399 (refurbs are $349).

iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (U.S.)

The phone reps said that you can't order the iPad2 until the 11th. So, no pre-ordering.