Motorola XOOM $800 plus minimum 1 month service?

UNC

Reaction score
There is a reason why Apple haters are everywhere. Many of us were customers of theirs and got fed up and went elsewhere. We could devote many pages to the stupid and restrictive things that Apple has done over the past couple decades. Whether they are intentionally denying users what are considered industry standards, or outright lying about how fast their computers are(Or aren't, as the case was), their approach to the market and their customer base is very arrogant.

In any case, the Xoom has a fraction of the storage, power or flexibility of a comparably priced laptop, no matter how you slice it...

They are cool. But not $800 plus tax plus a data plan worth of cool.

Well then, let your dollars do the talking... they don't need to be bashed on every thread. Most people think their products are better than anything Motorola could possibly release...

Now, about the Xoom....

Why is it hard for people to understand!!!
Texaco oil = Xoom
Pennzoil = Laptop

Sure the Pennzoil is better and cheaper, but that Texaco oil offers CONVENIENCE because they sell it everywhere. You pay a premium for convenience... A tablet is more convenient than a laptop.

Did you ever say "why would I pay 5x more for a laptop with half the features of my PC?" when laptops first came out??

Honestly, why do you even have a smartphone? Couldn't you just use your laptop and a dumb phone? That $30 extra a month could go a long way.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If we are talking convenience then a $200-$300 smartphone from swappa.com would be more convenient that the xoom. It all boils down to ones definition of convenience. Locked bootloaders and rip-off pricing isnt convenient to me. A device that can only do about 60% of what a laptop can is not convenient to me.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most people think their products are marketed better than anything Motorola could possibly release...

Fixed that for ya. ;-)

Now, about the Xoom....

Texaco oil = Xoom
Pennzoil = Laptop

Sure the Pennzoil is better and cheaper, but that Texaco oil offers CONVENIENCE because they sell it everywhere. You pay a premium for convenience... A tablet is more convenient than a laptop.

Did you ever say "why would I pay 5x more for a laptop with half the features of my PC?" when laptops first came out??

Honestly, why do you even have a smartphone? Couldn't you just use your laptop and a dumb phone? That $30 extra a month could go a long way.

Because there is a world of difference between a desktop and a laptop.

When you have a device that is the same size as a laptop, there isn't much difference. And there is a difference between the smart phone and a laptop when it comes to convenience.

The problem with the Xoom, is that it offers the functionality of the smart phone, but without the phone, and they make it as large as a laptop and charge just as much, if not more. And then they require a data plan.

That's the problem that I have with it.

It doesn't do more than the phone, it does less, and it isn't more convenient than the laptop, but it costs more.

If you have cash to burn on a "gadget", no problem. I just don't think that it is worth what they want for it.

OP
A

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Most people think their products are marketed better than anything Motorola could possibly release...

Fixed that for ya. ;-)

Now, about the Xoom....

Texaco oil = Xoom
Pennzoil = Laptop

Because there is a world of difference between a desktop and a laptop.

When you have a device that is the same size as a laptop, there isn't much difference. And there is a difference between the smart phone and a laptop when it comes to convenience.

The problem with the Xoom, is that it offers the functionality of the smart phone, but without the phone, and they make it as large as a laptop and charge just as much, if not more. And then they require a data plan.

That's the problem that I have with it.

It doesn't do more than the phone, it does less, and it isn't more convenient than the laptop, but it costs more.

If you have cash to burn on a "gadget", no problem. I just don't think that it is worth what they want for it.

Just wait for the price to drop or for the Wi-fi only XOOM.

That's what I'm doing.

When they get all the people they can to buy it at $800 they will drop the price.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just wait for the price to drop or for the Wi-fi only XOOM.

That's what I'm doing.

When they get all the people they can to buy it at $800 they will drop the price.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a cool device. But it seems that they are taking the Apple approach, where they can put whatever they want out, cripple it as much as they want, and the legions of loyal lemmings will pay top dollar for it without question and defend it to the death, even if the facts speak otherwise.

It works very well for Apple, and I think that Motorola wants to be Apple in some ways.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If one waits for the price to drop on the xoom....one will be waiting a long time. I guarantee the price will not drop till around Christmas time...and buy how much? If it drops to $500 it is still overpriced.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
If one waits for the price to drop on the xoom....one will be waiting a long time. I guarantee the price will not drop till around Christmas time...and buy how much? If it drops to $500 it is still overpriced.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I don't think any tablet with specs like the XOOM will drop below $500... the Samsung Galaxy tab isn't even close in specs and it's $500. I think if you want a xoom spec'd tablet you're probably going to have to step into the overpriced zone for you or maybe the Wi-fi only XOOM will drop below 500. Who knows!