Motorola X vs Nexus 5: Is the Nexus 5 really the Nexus we were waiting for?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Nov 12, 2013.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,137

My thoughts after the break.

Video Source: PocketNow

#1 pc747, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,137
    Back when the Motorola X was released I questioned it's innovation and pointed to the Nexus line for what Motorola needs to shoot for. Now we are a week (or two) in from the nexus being released for purchase and after seeing reviews I am beginning to wonder if the Nexus line needs to strive to be more like motorola. On paper the Nexus looks like the better device but clearly more and more are preferring the X over the Nexus 5. After seeing a comment on Android central where Jerry said he preferred the motorola X that sent me looking around the community only to find that many were feeling the same way.

As a person loving the nexus devices I too find myself feeling like the nexus device is an awesome device for the price point but not the phone I was waiting for. Having read the issues people were having with the nexus 5 and the many people having to get replacements, I begin to ask myself is it worth the headache to have a nexus. The same complaints I had with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (quality control, low volume, poor battery life, horrible camera) seem to follow to the current nexus 5. Thanks to the dev community I have all the features of the nexus 5 on my Note 2 with a better camera, awesome battery life, and my s pen features.

So here are my questions to the community (providing the nexus 5 was able to work on Verizon):

1) Would you choose the Moto x (including dev edition) or the nexus 5?

2) Would you rather have a cheaper device that cut corners or pay a little more for a solid device you can count on?

#2 pc747, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Sorry for sidestepping the questions, but to offer another 2ยข:

I don't think either phone is close yet to really implementing what Google is capable of doing. Or maybe I just have the words "Google" and "Android" confused in my head, but if not, I'd expect Google to put the full power of their software genius behind their flagship phone, and in particular, give us a device that is truly intelligent. But for the time-being our smart-phones are not really there.

FWIW the X is a good step toward a phone that is seamlessly integrated into our life, and a real digital assistant that senses and responds to what's happening in a meaningful way. Still, it's a small step. Unfortunately, if my instincts are right, we may not see the phone I'm envisioning any time soon -- instead, I wonder if Google is putting all that development magic into Glass. :unsure:

-Matt

#3 gadgetrants, Nov 12, 2013
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    I'd take the X over any "stock" Android device 10 x out of 10. Why? UI and features that are actually VERY useful. No gimmicks or flash, just real world useful features that allow you to do everyday tasks with just a few words (OK Google Now) Not to mention the ingenious notification alerts. Even opening up the camera is unique. The X, in my opinion, is the best smartphone on the market right now. It's too bad Samsung has become the Apple of the Android world because Moto has put out an incredibly unique handset with the X. The tech blogs love the X. Your average consumer, on the other hand, has Samsung on the brain (nothing wrong with that, they certainly paid millions upon millions to own the Android space)

5. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,044
    Both, moto x and nexus 5 are junk phones. Would I take one for free and use it? Absolutely! Would I pay money for either? Hell no!

6. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Yeah... you make some excellent points CK. It's really sad that Motorola is having such a hard time gaining traction in Android-land lately. This is especially true when you consider it was their Droid series that really kicked off the Android craze. They need to rekindle that magic somehow...

7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +678
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    All of this just reaffirms my happiness with going with the Note 3, not to mention the fact we have ROMs rolling out as we speak. That said, the Moto X is a great device and I still tinker with the one I got my wife a month back.

Motorola really knocked it out of the park with this device.

I love my wife, but if they can make a phone where all she has to do is use it and it just works, that is a win. Battery gets her one day easy, if not two days if she keeps of Simpsons Tapped Out and Candy Crush Saga.

Every week or so I make sure she reboots and clears out the cache, other than that the device is a work horse.

8. tech_head

tech_head Silver Member

Ratings:
    +281
    No the same customer.
    High End Android vs Average Joe Android.
    1080p vs 720p
    IPS Display vs AMOLED
    Real Quad Core CPU vs Dual Core S4
    GPU rendering was a no contest.
    Benchmark performance is no contest.

Buy the X if you like it, but it's not even in the running compared to a S600 or S800 phone for running games and anything GPU intensive.

9. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +373
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    I don't understand the issues with the N5. It is essentially the same phone as the G2. Which is a solid device and a beast. You figure if they got it right once they would be able to duplicate it. As far as the Moto X I would have loved it more if it had a bigger screen. It was fast, fluid, felt good in the hand. It was just too small for me. I had already decide when replacing my Razr Maxx that if I was paying full retail that I was gonna have at least a 5" screen. The G2 is the first phone I have bought in a long time that has me really excited about having a new phone. And as far as having a Nexus device I have my Nexus 7 for tinkering if I feel the need. The G2 is great as it is as my daily driver. It has many useful features straight out of the box without being cluttered like Samsung devices. I haven't even felt the need to root it yet. And have yet to find anything about it I don't like.

And I agree with you CK. Samsung has become the Apple of the Android world. That is what market saturation and millions in advertising does. It makes every Average Joe out there think that Samsung is Android and there is no other options. I still hear people calling Samsung phones Droids. It makes me cringe.

#9 Garemlin, Nov 12, 2013
  10. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    You do realize that several tech sites have run the standard benchmark tools that everyone uses and even with the Moto X's "mid-range" specs, it still was on par and even beat several of the newer devices regarding their benchmark scores, right? Personally, I find benchmark tools to be useless. User experience and fluidity within the UI is all that matters to me in terms of performace. And the Adreno 320 GPU in the Moto X is pretty much top of the line (the 330 I believe is a small step up). The quad-core vs. dual core argument isn't valid anymore. Especially now pertaining to Motorola. Motorola's "budget device" that is considered quite a step down from the Moto X, the Moto G, has a quad-core processor and is nowhere near on par with the Moto X "spec-wise". Speculation regarding the Moto G's pricing is dirt cheap and Motorola has already established that this phone will be their mid-range device. The information you're providing is simply false.

#10 patmw123, Nov 12, 2013
  11. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +199
    This is the main reason that the X doesn't get as much notice as it deserves. Hard core analysts look at the individual specs and declare it to be "mid-tier". The Moto X is an awesome phone that turns out to be WAY more than the sum of its individual parts.

Hard core phone-gamers may not be impressed with it. For the other 98% of users it's a remarkably fast, amazingly smooth, rock solid stable, long battery life, every day workhorse.

12. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,285
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Let's forget benchmarks y'all...Using a phone everyday is what is important...Does it do all the things you want and does it perform well at tasks you throw it? Moto X has unique features so kudos to Moto..It's obvious they hit it out the park with consumers..NO phone is perfect...there is always something you wish it could do better...or something that might be missing where you say "Why didn't they include this?" it's about preferences....Some like a better camera...some like better battery...some are in areas that need a better radio....some like to root and custom flash ROMS...It's way too early to judge that N5...It's price point is solid and I know plenty of peeps that got it bc they enjoy tinkering with the phone (like I did with my old G-NEX)..I personally can't see leaving Samsung...Why? Not because they make the best phone...bc they make the best phone for me...Phablet with a massive screen ..awesome battery ...and s pen features that can't be matched ( to me) ....I like what Samsung is doing and although many compare them to Apple...it works!! Except they don't put out the same phone every year...they have given us options in all categories...I like a company that won't stop raising the bar...it's easy to hate on them but from where I'm looking it makes it better for us...more choices...and more companies trying to one up each other...

Moto X vs N5 ? It's a tie !! We all win because it's ANDROID !!

Search tags for this page
how long should i charge nexus 5 first time
how much memory is available for nexus 5?
moto x v lg g2
moto x v nexus 5

motorola x vs nexus 5

motorola x vs nexus 5 review
nexus 5 first charging time

nexus 5 vs moto x

nexus 5 vs moto x battery life
nexuz 5 versus moto x audio quality