Motorola Vs HTC Droids

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
So I got myself a Motorola Doid and my Wife the HTC Droid Eris. Honestly believe the Eris is a better phone. Some things about the Motorola that are just stupid:
1) Cannot group contacts. I mean how stupid is that? Here is a super smart phone, supposedly, and I have to download some app to make contact lists and still jump through extra hoops to send group text and email? The Eris does this just fine.

2) When I open the Droid to use the keypad, it does not find words or correct mistakes automatically. Why use the stupid keypad? I coulda saved alot of weight if I just bought the Eris. The on screen keyboard works fine.

3) Droid has only 3 main screens where the Eris has 7.

Yeah I am just not seeing why I paid the extra money for a Motorola, especially after having a Razr, or should I say 4 Razrs, over the last few years.

Some things I like about the Eris:
1) Not Bulky like the Droid and you can put the rubber protector around it. Also, Screen Protector is near invisible. After 4 tries on my Moto, I gave up trying to get the screen protector perfect.

2) 7 Screens, Better Widgets.

3) Trackball is neat and easy to use.

4) You can group contacts. It syncs to multiple emails much better for some reason.

5) Much cheaper than the Droid.

The only thing it does not have is the flash for the camera. Can anyone else make some comparisons?

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I got myself a Motorola Doid and my Wife the HTC Droid Eris. Honestly believe the Eris is a better phone. Some things about the Motorola that are just stupid:
1) Cannot group contacts. I mean how stupid is that? Here is a super smart phone, supposedly, and I have to download some app to make contact lists and still jump through extra hoops to send group text and email? The Eris does this just fine.

2) When I open the Droid to use the keypad, it does not find words or correct mistakes automatically. Why use the stupid keypad? I coulda saved alot of weight if I just bought the Eris. The on screen keyboard works fine.

3) Droid has only 3 main screens where the Eris has 7.

Yeah I am just not seeing why I paid the extra money for a Motorola, especially after having a Razr, or should I say 4 Razrs, over the last few years.

Well, if you're still in your 30 days and you feel the Eris is better for you by all means take the Droid back. Droid isn't perfect for everybody.

JaCelica2k

Reaction score
Everything you listed is software related (Read: can be modified/updated). The main difference between the phones is the hardware. If you dont like it switch. In response to your comments/thoughts......

1) I have never done this so it doesnt apply to me. Maybe its a big deal to you. I put a few contacts in "favorites" and everyone else can easily be found via search.

2) The autocorrect is for the virtual keyboard because it is more likely you will make mistales. On a hard keyboard the thought is you wont really mess up and "auto-correction" would be an annoyance. At least thats how I'd see it.

3) Download any home replacement app......they all allow this functionality.

I was really torn between the two when I got mine at first but now I am sure I made the right decision.......
- No Sense overlay = quicker adaptation of android os updates
- android 2.0 > android 1.5
- Google Maps with turn by turn navigation is worth the difference alone
- Camera/Video camera are much better on the droid
- Screen resolution is much better on the droid
- Because Droid is beginning to account for the largest share of android marketplace, more apps will be designed for droid and other high res screens and will later be modified for other phones as well.

All comes down to what you like and what works for you. Wish you the best on your decision.

imiller913

Reaction score
It's all about what fits you best if you think the eris is better for you then give it a try.

shademar

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a clear personal preference. That's why there are different models to choose from :). Perhaps try to exchange through vzw or look for someone with the opposite problem? (Or see if your wife likes the droid more. :icon_ banana:)

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I looked at both before getting the Droid. I like a LOT of things about the Eris but the Droid won out for me. Why? It's faster and seems better for a business/casual user like myself. I have been using lots of Google apps for years. I use them for my business and the Droid (imo) is better for business than an Eris.

I have nothing at all against the Eris. If I didn't want/need the extra power the Droid offers, I'd have an Eris right now instead of a Droid.

As far as your contacts, you can go into Gmail and group your contacts. Haven't looked at what it looks like on the phone but I'm guessing it should work.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the Droid. But it certainly isn't for everyone. You might look into an exchange with Verizon if you're within the 30 days?

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by the Moto Droid only having 3 home screens. I hope that will change with future software updates. Didn't think much of it at first, but I am quickly learning how quickly the apps will fill up the screens.

Motorola has a more aggressive advertising campaign, that's why you paid more.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I'm not enamored with the physical keyboard myself but I like having the option to slide it out when I feel like it.

There's no such option with the Eris.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by the Moto Droid only having 3 home screens. I hope that will change with future software updates. Didn't think much of it at first, but I am quickly learning how quickly the apps will fill up the screens.

Supposedly the 2.1 update will give us 5 home screens. In the meantime, I've created folders and put my apps into the folders (categorized by function: Phone, Internet, Games, Utilities, etc...) Saves a lot of space, although it does mean an extra tap -- tap to open the folder, then tap on the app you want to run.

OP
L

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
Well thanks for posting what you like as I did not realize the Moto had so much more. Really, the biggest annoyance is the grouping. I am the Chief Pilot for a large flight school and communicate with my Flight Instructors primarily by mass text. Grouping would make it so much easier to do this.

Besides that, I think everything else I am complaining about could easily be fixed. I'll look into Gmail contact grouping. That might work.

shademar

Reaction score

Motorola has a more aggressive advertising campaign, that's why you paid more.

Check out Launcher+ if you want to add more homescreens without changing the overall look of the homescreen. Or any of the home replacement apps. They all have plusses and minuses (I'm using home++, which is great.)

Android 2.1 will add more stock screens and is rumored to be coming to the droid in the next month or so.

Reaction score
for what its worth i just DL an app called more icons its great it allows you to group icons 4 in the same space as 1 icon.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I do agree that the Eris does have some bells and whistles that I would like on the Droid, but over all there is no comparison whne it comes to speed and flexibilty of use.

To the OP, how do you like the lag on the Eris.. it seems like it takes forever for something to happen on the Eris compared to the Droid. When I use my wife's Eris it really does get frustrating waiting for a screen to open after I press a button, it is so bad I sometimes wonder if I hit the button or not.

Also I have had to do battery pulls on her Eris, but never on my Droid.

In a nutshell my wife's Eris feels and acts like a fluffy toy, where my Droid feels and acts like a real machine.

It will be interesting to see if this changes once the Eris gets 2.0 or 2.1, but it is so laggy even my very patient wife is considering returning her "Droid Jr" for a real Droid

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score

Supposedly the 2.1 update will give us 5 home screens. In the meantime, I've created folders and put my apps into the folders (categorized by function: Phone, Internet, Games, Utilities, etc...) Saves a lot of space, although it does mean an extra tap -- tap to open the folder, then tap on the app you want to run.

That's a good idea, I just did that with my games, awesome, thanks:icon_ banana:

Last edited: