Motorola & Verizon Officially Reveal the Droid Turbo!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
except unlocked bootloaders has absolutely ZERO to do with the fappening,

people (read celebrities) being morons and using easy to crack passwords is the problem.

but sure, lets all blame it on me wanting to have FULL control over my device which can make is safer than the stock bloated POS I get from verizon.

Microsoft doesn't tell me I can't have admin access on my own PC why should verizon tell me I can't have root access on MY $700+ dollar phone? nuf said

No, but the unlocking the bootloaders removes a layer of security and we all know when something big hits the news companies will go overboard that way they cover all their bases especially on the legal front.
With people wanting to byod and company information security being a big thing the industry is not going to go backwards on security no matter what the 1% want or how loud they scream. All they will say is you have a device that fulfills that if you buy a device with our branding on it (especially the big 2 who have more to lose) expect it to be locked down as tight as possible and if someone finds a loophole we will close it on the next update.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
No, but the unlocking the bootloaders removes a layer of security and we all know when something big hits the news companies will go overboard that way they cover all their bases especially on the legal front.
With people wanting to byod and company information security being a big thing the industry is not going to go backwards on security no matter what the 1% want or how loud they scream. All they will say is you have a device that fulfills that if you buy a device with our branding on it (especially the big 2 who have more to lose) expect it to be locked down as tight as possible and if someone finds a loophole we will close it on the next update.
what layer of security? same as flashing the bios on my motherboard or video card. I can already do that after I buy/build it, my Internet service provider doesn't tell me I'm not allowed admin or root access, if they tried to public would lose their minds.

the real issue us that most people do not realize it's the same thing. Big Red and others have done such a good job that common joe blow end user has absolutely no idea that it's exactly like twc cox or comcast controlling your PC AT HOME because you are "utilizing" their network.

will it change? probably not. should it? YES, am I going to complain about it, damn right, I'm allowed to. maybe we will get a company that understands this someday.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Very cool! .. Any word on speaker location? Please tell me it's not on the back. :)

Yes, as others commented the speaker is not on the back. The tiny pin-hole opening next to the camera on the back is likely a noise-cancelling microphone.

motorola-droid-turbo-camera.jpg

The logo is not slotted but is solid and simply scored for texture, and as I mentioned, the speaker and earpiece are apparently combined.

droid-turbo.jpg

Note the line indicating speaker touches the front of the phone, to the left of the camera and is part of the earpiece slot.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what layer of security? same as flashing the bios on my motherboard or video card. I can already do that after I buy/build it, my Internet service provider doesn't tell me I'm not allowed admin or root access, if they tried to public would lose their minds.

the real issue us that most people do not realize it's the same thing. Big Red and others have done such a good job that common joe blow end user has absolutely no idea that it's exactly like twc cox or comcast controlling your PC AT HOME because you are "utilizing" their network.

will it change? probably not. should it? YES, am I going to complain about it, damn right, I'm allowed to. maybe we will get a company that understands this someday.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Good luck, let us know how that work out for you.

I on the other hand am satisfied with the nexus devices as a truce offering. I fought that fight for years and finally realize the best I am going to get is a nexus and I am satisfied with that. There are other more important issues that garner my time and effort.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
joe blow end user has absolutely no idea that it's exactly like twc cox or comcast controlling your PC AT HOME because you are "utilizing" their network.

It's not REALLY the same. What does a LOCKED phone really keep you from doing?? Removing pre-installed apps? That's really about it, let's be honest. Or installing a new OS (ROM) on it. Which you really shouldn't be able to do without voiding your warranty. As pc747 put it: don't like it, get a Nexus and speak with your dollars.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not REALLY the same. What does a LOCKED phone really keep you from doing?? Removing pre-installed apps? That's really about it, let's be honest. Or installing a new OS (ROM) on it. Which you really shouldn't be able to do without voiding your warranty. As pc747 put it: don't like it, get a Nexus and speak with your dollars.

how about properly backing up my apps and data when wiping or switching phones? what about being able to change the colors of MY device to suit my tastes... how about changing or moving some options where I prefer them not where the "design" team wants... simple things I can do on my computer. my smartphone is after all a true pocket PC. I'll happily sign a waiver and void my warranty, My PC doesn't have a warranty, I built it myself, if I break it, it's on me. I voided my first Xbox, it's still working... I've voided my Wii etc etc... doesn't bother me I JUST WANT THE OPTION. that's what's so annoying.

tl:dr MURICA I don't pay $700 to be told what I can and cannot do on MY device. except, that's what everyone expects now.

Nexus devices lack and SD card, I don't have a 64gb SD card just to let it sit there, it's constantly full of music movies and pictures.

now back on topic,

this phone looks absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to try it next to the Z3V note 4 and nexus 6... I can't make a choice until then.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how about properly backing up my apps and data when wiping or switching phones? what about being able to change the colors of MY device to suit my tastes... how about changing or moving some options where I prefer them not where the "design" team wants... simple things I can do on my computer. my smartphone is after all a true pocket PC. I'll happily sign a waiver and void my warranty, My PC doesn't have a warranty, I built it myself, if I break it, it's on me. I voided my first Xbox, it's still working... I've voided my Wii etc etc... doesn't bother me I JUST WANT THE OPTION. that's what's so annoying.

tl:dr MURICA I don't pay $700 to be told what I can and cannot do on MY device. except, that's what everyone expects now.

Nexus devices lack and SD card, I don't have a 64gb SD card just to let it sit there, it's constantly full of music movies and pictures.

now back on topic,

this phone looks absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to try it next to the Z3V note 4 and nexus 6... I can't make a choice until then.

Bro we hear what you saying and not saying we disagree. The fact of the matter is we fought that fight for years and there are many threads that I have started here urging people to sign petitions, email and call your carriers and so on. The fact of the matter is this is where we are at and no matter how loud you yell when you look around you begin to notice the people yelling with you have worn down and straight up given up. I have rooted every device I have owned since the droid days and to be honest the reason to root now is shrinking. For me the only few reasons I unlock my bootloader and root is for TIBU (which 5.0 is close to making that obsolete), xposed so I can add battery percentage in the notification bar, and so I can add my reboot menu. Everything else I am good with stock android. Now I understand we are all different and use our devices for different reasons, but with devices like the One+ and Nexus we as tinkers have choices. It is obvious that we are not going to be able to make the manufacturers take a step backwards. So instead, as @PereDroid said, decide with your wallet. And you do have an option if you on verizon for an unlocked device with a sd card and removable battery Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Verizon Charcoal black . So frankly we have been heard and have been given choices.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
how about properly backing up my apps and data when wiping or switching phones?

Well when you switch phones, all makers have some type of app or software that moves everything for you.
Ok, not so for wiping.

what about being able to change the colors of MY device to suit my tastes...
OK, I'll give you that one.

how about changing or moving some options where I prefer them not where the "design" team wants... simple things I can do on my computer.

You can't change your reboot options nor arrange the control panel however you want.

I JUST WANT THE OPTION. that's what's so annoying.
Can't argue that either.

As said, I don't disagree with you. Just playing a bit of devils advocate.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bro we hear what you saying and not saying we disagree. The fact of the matter is we fought that fight for years and there are many threads that I have started here urging people to sign petitions, email and call your carriers and so on. The fact of the matter is this is where we are at and no matter how loud you yell when you look around you begin to notice the people yelling with you have worn down and straight up given up. I have rooted every device I have owned since the droid days and to be honest the reason to root now is shrinking. For me the only few reasons I unlock my bootloader and root is for TIBU (which 5.0 is close to making that obsolete), xposed so I can add battery percentage in the notification bar, and so I can add my reboot menu. Everything else I am good with stock android. Now I understand we are all different and use our devices for different reasons, but with devices like the One+ and Nexus we as tinkers have choices. It is obvious that we are not going to be able to make the manufacturers take a step backwards. So instead, as @PereDroid said, decide with your wallet. And you do have an option if you on verizon for an unlocked device with a sd card and removable battery Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Verizon Charcoal black . So frankly we have been heard and have been given choices.

I know, and I'll keep getting devices I can get root on. I mostly root for the exact same reasons, I like being able to backup everything or select items... backup data on games that doesn't do it in the cloud... I've got saves from 2 years ago I put back on sometimes... give me this option stock and I won't need root so much.

there are more nefarious reasons why root is nice, I like being able to play some games and just give myself coins instead of buying them for those ridiculous prices... though that's few and far between I don't play many games on my phone anymore aside from FF and some others.
Well when you switch phones, all makers have some type of app or software that moves everything for you.
Ok, not so for wiping.
it's not the same as TiBu, they're proprietary tools don't always work.
You can't change your reboot options nor arrange the control panel however you want.
on my PC? depends on whether it's windows or linux, etc... not to mention I used litestep on windows for years, shell replacement FTW
As said, I don't disagree with you. Just playing a bit of devils advocate.
I know, I'm just frustrated... and going to deal with it... there is almost always a way to crack a device, it's just a matter of waiting.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Dev editions have consistently been jokes that are left high and dry in terms of software support and updates .However, Sony, HTC, and LG make devices that are relatively easyto tinker with, and the Nexus devices further still. Overall, that's not a bad selection, and I will support it by buying from companies who follow suit.

The situation isn't all that dire, but I have to say it sucks that the Droid line has gone from the premier device for both hardware and customization to a shiny that will never be as amazing as it could have been.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Sorry... the speaker on my phone SERIOUSLY drives me out of my mind. ;)

jsandy

Reaction score
:)[/QUOTE

As soon as it is rooted with the hotspot exploit (or at least works with foxfi/pda net) I'm kissing my Note 3 goodbye. I need a phone that I can actually communicate on. I'm tired of griping about Samsung" crap radio.