Motorola Tweets Older Devices (like Bionic, Droid 3, DX2) Will NOT Get Unlock Tool

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you for enlightening me ol' keeper of root knowledge. I had no idea what goes into rooting a phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Haha. I only know enough to get me into trouble. :p And now that we've successfully derailed this topic from it's previous intent, I think it's best we move on.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't followed kexec as close as some others but I believe it's still only running one core which seems to me like it would slow the phone down rather than speed it up. From what I do know about it is that it doesn't unlock the bootloader. It's able to hijack the kernel and run a custom kernel from boot. So while it will/should bring improvements to our phones I don't know how great those improvements will be.

I've never been one to flash different kernels (on unlocked devices) as I never seem to realize a noticeable difference. I quit overclocking my phones once I upgraded from the HTC Eris (absolutely required on that phone). I love the openness of unlocked phones in the fact that I can flash any radio to get better reception or different roms: MIUI, CM, AOSP, AOPK, Sense roms (most fully or almost fully functional), etc. I realize that most of these roms are available for Razr now but I haven't found a single non blur rom that consistently keeps data and mobile connection (big deal to me).

I love the build of Moto devices. They have less hardware issues, better battery, and better reception. Incorporate that with an unlocked bootloader....I'll make the jump when we get one on Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kexec is functioning on both cores. The main thing that doesn't work is the camera. Its super smooth. For some reason, instead of the 840 mb of available memory the RAZR usually has, kexec only has 658 which can cause some ram issues. I'm sure they're working on it.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
This really isn't a surprise; VZ has made Moto devices harder and harder to tweak with each update so it would be strange indeed if VZ allowed them to now easily unlock those devices. Secondly, VZ says that it will remove unlocked Moto devices from its network, whatever that's all about. Sammy and HTC phones can be unlocked and stay on the network but Moto phones can't?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
This really isn't a surprise; VZ has made Moto devices harder and harder to tweak with each update so it would be strange indeed if VZ allowed them to now easily unlock those devices. Secondly, VZ says that it will remove unlocked Moto devices from its network, whatever that's all about. Sammy and HTC phones can be unlocked and stay on the network but Moto phones can't?

I don't even think any current Verizon devices will be supported under the unlock tool. But let's assume I'm wrong. It's just a threat from Verizon. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

skennelly

Reaction score
IMO, Motorola has bent over backwards to accommodate vzw by locking and encrypting their bootloaders.

Scenario:

Motorola realizes they could sell more devices if they were unlockable. They see that Samsung and HTC don't have to play by the same rules. So they want to release the unlock tool. Vzw throws a tantrum, acts like a 2 year old, and says "you do that and we'll kick your unlocked phones off our network."

Sent from my SCH-I535

jayman350

Reaction score
IMO, Motorola has bent over backwards to accommodate vzw by locking and encrypting their bootloaders.

Scenario:

Motorola realizes they could sell more devices if they were unlockable. They see that Samsung and HTC don't have to play by the same rules. So they want to release the unlock tool. Vzw throws a tantrum, acts like a 2 year old, and says "you do that and we'll kick your unlocked phones off our network."

Sent from my SCH-I535

yup, that sounds about right. I still don't understand why the HTC/Samsung phones are allowed to be unlocked, yet Moto is being held to a different standard?

Oh and I'm not surprised at all that the current devices that are available now are not on the unlockable list, why would they give you incentive to keep your current phone instead of upgrade to a newer unlockable one?