Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I beg to differ on blackberry devices being locked down. Apps are created in pretty much the same matter as android. Not to mention I was running leaked and hybrid os's for a while before I jumped to android. The main reason I jumped was the expandibility of the os. Not that it was any more open. The main reason it seems so "locked down" in rim land is everything going through rims servers, which is lately showing to be a HUGE falicy.
    But I agree with most here. Im happy with what I can currently dowith my DX but in the future ill be looking more closely at htc and samsung.

2. xCaldazar

xCaldazar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't all that bad now that these new phones have so much power. It makes me very happy I got my D1, really an awesome phone, helped it not become outdated by being able to root it and put new higher clock speed kernels.

3. cideas

cideas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    guess I'll be keeping my Droid 1 for a while

4. Adrozz07

Adrozz07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is hope. Sometimes a little defiance can pluck the human nerve in these corporate robots.

5. MoeDaddy

MoeDaddy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well there has been over 600,000 downloads of Koush's Rom Manager which is only works on a rooted phone. So that is a good indication of how many out their root their phones. And while that number is small compared to the total it still isn't small enough to forget. Between my family and friends we have 12 android phones and 8 out of 12 of them are rooted. Granted that may not be the norm...

6. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    LOL at the complete arrogance and childishness displayed in this thread. Not by Motorola, but by everyone in here that thinks they are owed an unlocked bootloader from a company just because. Well thats just silly. Motorola, much like any other company on this planet would do, is just trying to protect its name and its reputation going forward. Yes, being able to load custom ROMs and kernels is nice, but at the same time, its ridiculously easy to screw up your phone if you're not careful, and when you do, and the phone is truly bricked, they know you are bound to return it, blame Motorola, and get a new one. Just look at how many times its happened on here. You are cutting down on their profits because you are actively erasing everything they set up on the device, screwing up, and returning it for a new one under a warranty they cannot verify that you broke.

This community, especially the ones who root their phones and install custom kernels is just a drop of water in the toilet for them. Go ahead, threaten to go somewhere else. I guarantee you that they really just don't care. They are just making a business decision, and if you don't like it, tough toodles. I'm sure they'll really care about the couple hundred thousand who use this ability when the remaining user-base is 100x greater, if not a whole heck of a lot more.

7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Moto apologizes for the hastily posted "If you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we'll continue with our strategy that is working thanks."

Looks like whomever was running Motorola's YouTube page today might have gone a wee bit rogue. To recap, a comment on a video of the Atrix 4G was greeted with a tongue so sharp we had to make sure it wasn't ours. "If you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we'll continue with our strategy that is working thanks." Whoops.

The comment was deleted not too long after we first reported it. But the fallout continued, with Motorola issuing an apology on Facebook, and saying there may be a compromise for those who wish to do a little hacking:

We apologize for the feedback we provided regarding our bootloader policy. The response does not reflect the views of Motorola.

We are working closely with our partners to offer a bootloader solution that will enable developers to use our devices as a development platform while still protecting our users' interests. More detailed information will follow as we get closer to availability.

There also was this response to a followup on the YouTube page:

So we attempt to answer nearly all comments raised on this channel across over 130 videos and in a timely fashion. Sometimes we make a mistake, and the remark we agree could have been better phrased and more polite. So we do apologise, and that we will continue to monitor feedback on the wider discussion and pass that along. Thank you.

Mistakes certainly do happen, and we certainly understand the ... patience ... required when working in public. We'd cut Moto a little slack here -- but we'll also keep an eye out for any more shenanigans.

8. GeneRs

GeneRs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [/QUOTE]

They really "made" Android when it comes down to it. The g1 was on T-mobile for goodness sakes. Motorola could put out mediocre handsets for the next 3years because of the success of the D1 (anyone remember the razor?) Theyre not concerned about the MAYBE 1% of the population that posts on forums like this.

Also the reason that every Moto handset with have blur from now on. WHY? Because they can.[/QUOTE]

If they aren't concerned about our measily 1%, then why bother locking down their phones in the first place? Seems just the opposite IMO. I'm not sure how much they actually lose from people who brick their phones cause they don't know what they are doing and send them back as defective (pretty messy practice btw. Take responsibility for your mistakes people). But if 1% of us root and load custom roms, i would say less than half screw it up. Then, if half of those send their phones back as defect, how many would that actually be?

I understand the idea is to make money. But there is also a cost to doing bussiness. This seems less like a way to insure people get a good quality product and more like a way to dictate to the masses what they are allowed to do with something they own. Can't wait till the car companies start locking stereo systems so we can't change those either.

#92 GeneRs, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  9. Dan_08

Dan_08 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Lot of going back and forth on why Motorola should care about the hacking community. while we may only account for 1% (unk actual#) of total android sales, I can almost guarantee we can be credited for more than tripple the sales figures....

How many of you have persuaded friends, family members and co-workers to buy droids? I know I have personally have talked to 3 or four people into buying them. They may not be into hacking but they bought them off my recommendation. Now lets say Moto sticks to giving the hacking community the finger, most of us would probably recommend a different phone.

Just my thoughts. Either way I got a D1....

10. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    With the onset of the EVO 4G on Sprint, and with all the other great Android phones that are coming out this year, I think it is fair enough to say that there is a great chance that the developers will be scattered across many platforms anyway this year.

Plus, I think it is a bit of a stretch (in fact, I think it is an incredibly large stretch) to credit all of the growth of Android to developers. Not with the marketing blitzkrieg that Verizon and Motorola put on last year on television, radio, print, and the internet. Thats like saying the iPhone wouldn't be as popular as it is without people being able to jailbreak it. Really? Please. Android is a great OS, and the Droid and Droid X were great phones that would have still been incredibly successful even without sites such as this. And to think that all of the Android users from the Droid would immediately flock to whatever phone we all suggest next... lol, right, ok, you keep thinking that.

Let me reiterate what I said before. Motorola is trying to create a brand that remains constant throughout its platform. They want people to know what brand is being used without people having to look at the logo on the hardware. They also want it locked down so that they know if something screws up and the phone is bricked, its their own fault instead of some 17 year old hack programming as a side venture when he's not learning basic US History in high school. Right now, they have been losing money on the Droid because they did not build in some kind of safeguard against tampering. People abused the system, and they saw a loss in profits that they would rather not see going forward. Doesn't matter if they are making a couple hundred million a year, if a couple thousand phones are being replaced every year due to faulty developers bricking phones with a retail price of $300 each, thats close to a million lost in sales. Any company would do whatever they could do eliminate that, its good business.

Motorola owes us nothing. Stop acting like they do.

11. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    +1. Couldn't have said it better myself. There's not some evil conspiracy from Motorola to hold down its customers. They're doing it for money. Which is what every company does. To expect otherwise, makes no sense. They don't have to unlock their bootloaders, especially because less then 1% of their base wants to hack (FAR less than 1% considering this forum has less than 1% of ANDROID users combined...)

It's all about making money. Nothing deeper then that...

As much as people want to think that the hackers are the one who rejuvenated Motorola (lol wut??) that's clearly not the case...I would think the $100M+ marketing campaign had a little bit more to do with it...

12. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    because the "hackers" are not the only ones who try to get a trade in for their bricks. There are plenty of people who try to play the system. By locking down the bootloader, they take one group out of the equation. There are people who will "lose" their phone, or report their phone "stolen" when they want a new one, or they drop their phone and it breaks. It happens everyday. I mean, when VZW was giving away D2's in place of D1's for a bit, people on this very forum were playing the system so they could get their new phones....

#96 czerdrill, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011