Motorola Takes on Water Losing $285M Selling Phones in 2011

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
^^^Moto mobility lost money last year, too. There's a reason they are being sold - typically struggling companies don't sell-off their best divisions.

The dumb phones and tablet flops are probably big drivers of the losses. And, like I said, they are probably not realizing nearly the return on smartphones they could because with all the models they aren't getting scale on neither components nor R&D.

Snow02

Reaction score
The locked bootloader has very little to do with their losses. Even if they did change their stance and unlock the bootloader, that *might* recoup about 5% of the losses they've experienced. They definitely do need to slow the release of their phones though. They've been pissing off the consumer for a long time and now that they see that they're really hurting themselves even more so, they'll finally slow production.

Really? I've personally steered 3 sales away from motorola specifically because of their bootloaders. This is in the last couple months. I wonder how many others have done the same. You're pulling that percentage out of thin air.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Its kind of harsh to try and convince the sale based on an element which 99% of people have no interest in. I'm more concerned with where motorola is spending the billions in revenue these 40+ million devices have generated.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I think it's due to poor release dates. I _don't_ think it's due to having locked BL at ALL. Only a small percentage of people know or even care about that.

I think it's because they thought that they could say they were going to release a major phone in February, only to release it what in September? Then released another phone on top of it, and yet another on top of that? o.0 You can't always outsmart your customers.

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really? I've personally steered 3 sales away from motorola specifically because of their bootloaders. This is in the last couple months. I wonder how many others have done the same. You're pulling that percentage out of thin air.

No...I'm not. In fact, I believe 5% is generous. The modding community is small. Your 3 sales don't even make a dent.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
No...I'm not. In fact, I believe 5% is generous. The modding community is small. Your 3 sales don't even make a dent.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
You were being VERY generous in my honest opinion. I'd say .125%. HTC is unlocked and suffering through the same thing. It's not about boot loaders, it goes deeper than that I believe.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
just poor planning, forecasting, design and execution. probably riding on the success of OG Droid thinking. I personally dont like any of the motorla phone after the D1. so i switch to the nexus, so did my little brother (had og droid), my wife got the rezound, brother gf got the rhyme, my other little brother is getting the nexus (og droid),the 2 other one are getting a rezound or nexus (both has droid x). so thats 5 former motorola owner not buying motorola. we have various reason for not buying another motorola.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
When you get to a point where you really dont need a bunch of commercials and advertisement and the product sells itself (ie iphone) then you have reached the pinnacle.

I'm not sure what tv you're watching, but I see commercials for iPhones, iTouch and iPads all the time... maybe because I don't have cable and just a few channels I don't have much choice but to watch commercials (flipping through 10 or less channels takes 10 seconds). And no, I'm not counting the Best Buys commercials saying "we sell Apple products now". I work during the day so I don't watch a lot of tv, but still have saw a lot if iPhone commercials. I think the iTouch ones were more around christmas (you know, the one where they advertise face time and playing games against each other, aimed at tweens).

So back on topic, Moto advertising is just part of business.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe Moto should actually advertise for their product instead of robots fighting and phones being thrown through poles and signs.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.