Motorola support is a clown show

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh my.

So my Moto 360 (1st gen) bought in Sept. 2014 directly from Motorola stopped working this morning. It had been giving me some issues lately. It would shut off and not turn back on until I placed on the charger. Even if it was charged over 90% already. This was annoying but I was dealing with it.

Today I went to check my heart rate and it shut off. Wouldn't come back on. Even placing it on the charger.

I went to Motorola's site. The 360 I purchased directly from them is not part of my devices on my Motorola account. I look up my order history to grab my serial number to add it. Blank. That's weird.

So I call them. Support person asks me for my email address. Asks me for my serial number. SN is ONLY on the box, not on the device. WHAT? LOL Are you serious? He pulls in a sales rep. She looks up my account. After 15 minutes she finds my order.

She informs me that she can't find a s/n on the order. So I would need to look on the box. Thanks for the new info.

The support rep lets her hang up. He says you are out of warranty. I tell him I know that, all I want is the information to have the device sent in for repair. How to go about it, the cost etc.

Support rep informs me that the repair is free, but the out of warranty fee is $100. ?!?!?! He then goes on to tell me that I could buy a new 1st gen on Amazon for about the same amount and Motorola would honor the 1 year warranty from purchase date forward.

Bottom line, Motorola, since being bought be Lenovo, is a joke. No record of a device purchased directly from them?!? Seriously? Plus why charge an out of warranty fee rather than a repair fee? I am sure the battery is done, why not let me pay shipping, for a replacement battery, and a cost to have it put in? Maybe that is $100, maybe more or less, but at least I could make the decision as of what to do.

Motorola will never see a penny from me again. My wife is still on her 2013 Moto X, getting ready to replace it and was considering the Moto Z Force. No chance now.

I am done with Motorola.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Huawei sent my wife brand new watch after hers started boot looping after a major software update. Yeah it took about 2-3 weeks but she got a brand new spanking watch free of charge. It was under warranty still though.

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I pulled this thing apart after watching a couple of youtube videos on how. I cracked the back, and I cut the o-ring seal. But I got it apart and it was definitely a battery problem. Battery is warped and out of shape probably from heat. Thanks Motorola, you sold me a $250 watch that lasted 22 months, and gave me no support on it.

I get warranty vs. no warranty, etc. But this battery should have lasted longer than 22 months.

I'l go back to a dumb watch until I decide what to replace it with. Leaning towards Gear 2.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That sucks. Unfortunately as you know, due to the widely varying quality of Lithium Ion batteries and the unique charging characteristics their risk to failure is significantly higher on average than less volatile chemistry such as Alkaline or Ni-Mh. It's a shame that the support staff aren't competent enough to properly advise you. I'm shocked that they suggested buying one off Amazon. Was it a corporate store or an "Authorized Dealer" for Verizon?

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Unfortunately as you know, due to the widely varying quality of Lithium Ion batteries and the unique charging characteristics their risk to failure is significantly higher on average than less volatile chemistry such as Alkaline or Ni-Mh. It's a shame that the support staff aren't competent enough to properly advise you. I'm shocked that they suggested buying one off Amazon. Was it a corporate store or an "Authorized Dealer" for Verizon?

I called Motorola directly.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not to defend Moto at all, but I'm sure the repair would be $100. And if you can get brand new for $100 on Amazon....
But yea, I'd be pissed too if a $300 watch new died in less then 2 years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I called Motorola directly.
So sorry. I missed where you indicated that you bought it directly from Motorola and so when you said "I called them", I mistook it to mean you called a retailer in a Verizon store.

Truth is for me at least, I've gotten great support from Motorola, but I DID have to walk the support staff through the process speaking in very low-level English, using simple words and very detailed description of the issue and what needed to be done.

Each time Motorola sent me replacements for things such as Turbo Chargers, car mounts, docking stations, etc. they shipped it to me for free and all I had to do is send back the broken one. I was under warranty so that is definitely a difference.

I am still surprised they suggested Amazon.com but I'd doubt that's Motorola's protocol and more likely it was the rep just trying to offer you an option and solution perhaps better than s/he could.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As others have stated, I have also had excellent experiences every time I have dealt with Motorolas customer support. They took really good care of me and replaced whatever was defective with no hassle. I know that's not always the case though. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk