"Motorola Services" Is The Most Datahungry App I've Ever Seen

matthileo

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed "my data manager" from the android market, and I've discovered that in less than 24 hours "Motorola Services" has consumed over 219mb of data, more that 20 TIMES the second most. (Screenshot here)

Any idea why it may use so much data. I have Twitter and Last.fm installed, both of which use contact syncing, and they don't consume nearly this much.

xxspark89xx

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed "my data manager" from the android market, and I've discovered that in less than 24 hours "Motorola Services" has consumed over 219mb of data, more that 20 TIMES the second most. (Screenshot here)

Any idea why it may use so much data. I have Twitter and Last.fm installed, both of which use contact syncing, and they don't consume nearly this much.

Ouch! That's not good, especially for people that got stuck with a limited data plan!!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I think that app may carry out downloading tasks for other apps. Did you stream music or download anything?

OP
matthileo

matthileo

Reaction score
I think that app may carry out downloading tasks for other apps. Did you stream music or download anything?

Yes, but that showed up in the data usage for those apps

[sent from my droid]

endobrian

Reaction score
I don't see last.fm on that screenshot. I bet that "Motorola services" app is doing port redirects or some business. Each streaming song is 3-6MB.

All you have to do is clear the stats, and rerun the test without running last.fm.

good luck

OP
matthileo

matthileo

Reaction score
I don't see last.fm on that screenshot. I bet that "Motorola services" app is doing port redirects or some business. Each streaming song is 3-6MB.

All you have to do is clear the stats, and rerun the test without running last.fm.

good luck

You don't see last.fm in that screenshot because 1) That's only the very top of the list, apps that have used less data aren't shown, and 2) I don't use last.fm for streaming very ofter. Just scrobbling and contact sync so far on this phone.

dragorn

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, however this is my suspicion:

The data use app can't see what app uses what data - all it can see is that data is being sent (network interface statistics) and what apps are currently active (running apps priv).

I've definitely seen the data counter go wacky on my device and start counting data for both my podcast download and some other apps I KNOW did not do data transfer, simply because they were active.

I'd wager that the motorola services app is active nearly all the time (doing what I don't know) and is being counted as the consumer of data when it isn't.

Being a dual-core processor probably exacerbates this error since it CAN be running all the time while another app is on another core.

I'd try running another data counter - netcounter always worked for me - and moderate your known data use. See if the daily use is up significantly from what you expect.

OP
matthileo

matthileo

Reaction score
Ran tests using Google Music, drop box, and the browser. The data counter goes up for these apps, but doesn't effect Motorola Services. It seems to all be pretty accurate.

My guess is that the Motorola services application handles all the data related to blur, including the built in social networking accounts and the universal inbox.

[sent from my droid]

AZDroid09

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I installed the data manager app and after a day of use Motorola Services only used 0.7mb on my Droid 3. I don't use the blur social networking, I prefer to choose my favorite apps for each service.

OP
matthileo

matthileo

Reaction score
I disabled two accounts. Hopefully that helps

[sent from my droid]

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing its something to do with using accounts thru Blur or Motorola. I cant check my phone to see, but I was gonna try to setup Yahoo with the Add Accounts settings and I got a pop up about agreeing to use Motorola something, might have said Services. I declined. I never used Blur or Motorola for anything like that before.

I bet its like AZDroid said.

I see Twitter in the screen shot. Is that thru the Add Accounts settings, or is that its own separate app you installed?

OP
matthileo

matthileo

Reaction score
Twitter in the screenshot was from the official application. Not blur
[sent from my droid]

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got my phone back and checked. When you go to Settings/Accounts and Add account, if you never set it up before an Agreement will pop up if you choose certain accounts to setup.

Its the Motorola Service Agreement. Did you setup any account thru Accounts settings? Maybe something with Twitter is being used by Motorola Services. Its one of the accounts on the Add account page.

Last edited: