Motorola says buy a different phone

Reaction score
To be honest, I could really care less as long as it can be rooted. I just don't want to pay extra for tethering. People are throwing a hissy fit here about not being able to overclock a phone that can't be made to lag in the first place. This is a phone for consumers, hackers need not apply. Believe it or not, consumers far outnumber tinkerers. Did anybody consider that the phone may actually be good enough stock that custom roms will be completely irrelevant?

From the technical specs, it should be more than sufficient for the average consumer. well said.

Wnclivin

Reaction score
Coming from using WinMo for the past few years, I'm actually looking forward to a solid-performing device that I don't have to flash a new ROM every day....it gets very addictive! I am optomistic of having Wifi router without having to pay for it, perhaps root will accomplish that.

Mule65

Reaction score
Changed my mind an just ordered the DX for $135 online with my discounts (PRMCD10 10% off promo). My old phone is dying and I can't wait. I could exchange for a Galaxy S if it arrives in 30 days but DX + Froyo may trump that.

cerebrix

Reaction score
not sure if you guys have seen this but...

Droid X actually self-destructs if you try to mod it

apparently theres an efuse that bricks the phone if you change the bootloader. doesn't look like anyone will be rooting this phone.

and on that note, my droid 1 will be the last moto product i ever purchase. i wouldnt allow ford to put something in my car that blew my engine if they didn't like the intake or exhaust i put on it, and i wont stand for this either.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why should have all gathered together and purchased moto stock when it was $hit.

then WE would have a say in those PC Business decisions ...

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I'm sure people will buy the X , heck ,they bought millions of iPads and iPhones . There aren't to many that won't buy it because it's locked . I think more people won't buy it because of the screen size or color rather than the fact it's locked .
But for sure I won't buy it , I wouldn't buy a laptop that its not allowing me to have administrator rights or change the OS , this phone is not that different from a laptop . When I pay for a device its mine to do whatever I want with it , if I want to make sex with it , I should be allowed to .

CrazyJek

Reaction score
To be honest, I could really care less as long as it can be rooted. I just don't want to pay extra for tethering. People are throwing a hissy fit here about not being able to overclock a phone that can't be made to lag in the first place. This is a phone for consumers, hackers need not apply. Believe it or not, consumers far outnumber tinkerers. Did anybody consider that the phone may actually be good enough stock that custom roms will be completely irrelevant?

Yes but this can go both ways. While majority of the people buying this phone will not be tinkering with the OS, installing ROMS, rooting for hardware tweaks, etc... why not still provide an option to be rooted and ROM'd for the 5-10% of its tinkering user-base? I don't get why Motorola would hurt even any of its potential consumer-base right now...

I mean, provide a root option and you get roughly 100% of your potential average consumer-base that WONT root, and you still get roughly 100% of your hacker consumer-base that WILL root and ROM, not to mention more DEV support... You get what im trying to say?

By doing this, all they are doing is hurting their pockets anywayz. Sure, the average joe will still buy it, but now most tinkerers will not. Some average joes still might not even buy it after they read some biased reviews by tinkers saying the phone sucks. The only reason why i can see this happening is because of verizon making it mandatory. Im sure verizon does not want people tethering the phone without paying $20 extra... not like the 5% of the phone users doing it free of charge will affect the multi-billion dollar company that routinely adds a dollar or so to the monthly bill of its customers.

Add 1 dollar a month to one person... it almost goes unnoticed and they dont care as it is only 1 dollar. Do it to 3 million people or more and it goes unnoticed to those 3 million, but the company just made an extra 3mil this month.

I was going to possibly trade my Incredible for this phone with my g/f's mother if she didnt like the DX. However, after reading this, i will not. Incredible stays. I just wish HTC would send out Froyo sometime soon and not at the end of the year.... or AT LEAST FIXED THIS DAMN BATTERY CHARGING SOFTWARE BUG! Im sick and tired of turning my phone on and off and on and off repeatedly for a full charge.

Ricowan

Reaction score
People keep throwing around numbers like 5%, or 10% as the number of users who want/need to load custom roms, etc. I personally think it less than that by several decimal places, but there's no way to know that at all.

I jailbroke my iPod Touch. I know, it's not a phone, but the reasoning applies: I jailbroke it because I wanted to be able to install apps from sources other than the official app store, and I wanted to put my wallpaper behind the application icons. That's all. And that can already be done on all Android phones without changing the rom.

I actually like that fact that it won't be possible for me to accidently install an app that requires root access and turns out to contain a trojan or something worse.

I'm still getting my Droid X today, and I'll be very happy with it. dancedroid

P.S. I have no doubt at all that this lock-down is the direct result of VerizonWireless telling Motorola they will stop using their phones if they don't lock them down better. If you want to change how phones are being locked-down, you need to be concentrating on the carrier, not the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score
But for sure I won't buy it , I wouldn't buy a laptop that its not allowing me to have administrator rights or change the OS , this phone is not that different from a laptop . When I pay for a device its mine to do whatever I want with it , if I want to make sex with it , I should be allowed to .

All Motorola is being locked down. Other brands will surely follow. They're all obsolete in under two years anyhow.

smokiedabong

Reaction score

All Motorola is being locked down. Other brands will surely follow. They're all obsolete in under two years anyhow.

That's why I won't buy a Motorola and I'll wait for Samsung Galaxy S . Better display , better processor , better graphic acceleration , better battery , way , way better camera and also already has root and custom ROMs

Mule65

Reaction score
That's why I won't buy a Motorola and I'll wait for Samsung Galaxy S . Better display , better processor , better graphic acceleration , better battery , way , way better camera and also already has root and custom ROMs

You forgot better plastic and Bing!

Darkseider

Reaction score

I can justify plastic and Bing! At least when rooted running a custom ROM all you will have left of the two is plastic. :)

cj1896

Reaction score

You forgot with droid X waiting eons for an update, and crappy motoblur!

bbgott

Reaction score

Who do you think roots these phones, it's not the consumers, it's the tinkerers. If you as a consumer want a rooted phone, then you as a consumer need to stand up and support the tinkerers out there. The things like free tethering and other goodies that come along with a rooted phone are also the targets of a boot loader lock such as this.