Motorola says buy a different phone

tktouch12

Reaction score
the thing is, cant we do a lot of this stuff with root? obviously not as much, but we can pull files and push them back modified. can't we still theme the framework-res.apk? and edit system files to try to do tweaks?

and if we somehow got an sbf could we flash custom roms from rsd lite? because i'm pretty sure i used rsdlite to flash a whole rom once.

Reaction score
I think this could backfire on them if "power users" unite. I personally touted this phone left and right and got at least 7 other people to get it. I'd bet that a lot of people on this board were instrumental in convincing people to purchase a droid. Word of mouth spreads, If people ask me about it I'll tell them its a POS and to buy another non Motorola device. Bye, bye motorola look's like you may return to the depths from which us droid users rescued you from.

I have already done this based on the news. One is waiting for the Fascinate, two people are going to T-Mobile tomorrow and getting Vibrants and two others cancelled their pre-orders with best Buy and went with EVO's. The more people I can steer away from Motorola the better. They deserve at a minimum to fail with the Droid X and worse case bankruptcy and closing shop. I have no tolerance for this from any product manufacturer regardless of the industry.

I disagree with bad mouthing them and turning people away. They can still get the Droid which is a great phone. If more people get the "un-encrypted" Droid maybe they will think, hey people want an open phone and possibly change their minds. Small chance I know but it may happen, or maybe they might release another open phone in the future due to complaints. Either way we can't change anything immediately.

Sent from your Droid

Darkseider

Reaction score
I think this could backfire on them if "power users" unite. I personally touted this phone left and right and got at least 7 other people to get it. I'd bet that a lot of people on this board were instrumental in convincing people to purchase a droid. Word of mouth spreads, If people ask me about it I'll tell them its a POS and to buy another non Motorola device. Bye, bye motorola look's like you may return to the depths from which us droid users rescued you from.

I have already done this based on the news. One is waiting for the Fascinate, two people are going to T-Mobile tomorrow and getting Vibrants and two others cancelled their pre-orders with best Buy and went with EVO's. The more people I can steer away from Motorola the better. They deserve at a minimum to fail with the Droid X and worse case bankruptcy and closing shop. I have no tolerance for this from any product manufacturer regardless of the industry.

I disagree with bad mouthing them and turning people away. They can still get the Droid which is a great phone. If more people get the "un-encrypted" Droid maybe they will think, hey people want an open phone and possibly change their minds. Small chance I know but it may happen, or maybe they might release another open phone in the future due to complaints. Either way we can't change anything immediately.

Sent from your Droid

The thing is as much as I love the Droid I will not suggest it to anyone because in most people's eyes it is dated. Especially with the likes of the Galaxy S and EVO 4G. Knowing that they are looking for new and shiny and the utter disdain I have for Motorola at this point I tell them to get any of the Galaxy S variants OR an EVO 4G. Motorola can go scratch. There is no tolerance in me for this kind of behavior at all. For Motorola to completely snub the Android community shows to me that they cannot be trusted.

The Droid single handedly rescued Motorola from going the way of the Dodo. It was because of the huge dev community and the love of the phone that people suggested it to friends and family. Motorola deserves nothing more than failure at this point. Just like GM and Chrysler, FAIL. Ever wonder why Ford is doing so well? Quick hint, they LISTENED to their customers.

cj1896

Reaction score

Sent from your Droid

The thing is as much as I love the Droid I will not suggest it to anyone because in most people's eyes it is dated. Especially with the likes of the Galaxy S and EVO 4G. Knowing that they are looking for new and shiny and the utter disdain I have for Motorola at this point I tell them to get any of the Galaxy S variants OR an EVO 4G. Motorola can go scratch. There is no tolerance in me for this kind of behavior at all. For Motorola to completely snub the Android community shows to me that they cannot be trusted.

The Droid single handedly rescued Motorola from going the way of the Dodo. It was because of the huge dev community and the love of the phone that people suggested it to friends and family. Motorola deserves nothing more than failure at this point. Just like GM and Chrysler, FAIL. Ever wonder why Ford is doing so well? Quick hint, they LISTENED to their customers.

+1 and the only thing that will make them listen to their customers is a drop in cash flow. Vote with your wallets people!

Reaction score

Sent from your Droid

It did save Moto's kiester. And you do have a valid point on people wanting new and shiny. But that's not to say they won't change their minds. But then again they never changed much on the Razor and beat that dead horse. I guess my feeling is you shouldn't be so quick to shun, only on the account they did give us a great phone to start with. But time will tell how this plays out.

Sent from your Droid

Mule65

Reaction score
I've decided to pass on the DX and wait for the Verizon Galaxy S. A release date would be nice.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I've decided to pass on the DX and wait for the Verizon Galaxy S. A release date would be nice.

I applaud your decision and hope more and more people follow your example. The only message Motorola will understand is "low cash flow".

OP

713King

Reaction score
I held off on DI for this phone, now ill wait for December and see what's new at that time

nphil

Reaction score
Just when I thought Motorola phones were becoming worthwhile to own once again... This "eFuse" BS is disheartening at best.

I'll jump back on the HTC train, thanks. If only they would release OMAP based phones. Sigh.

Droid Legion

Reaction score
Well, I just checked Motorola's stock and it's up $0.25/share. I wonder how it'll do in the coming 2-4 week period if the number of X's are not sold compared to their projections.

I know a lot of people who can't get the Incredible are shooting for the X, instead.

Time will tell.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Well, I just checked Motorola's stock and it's up $0.25/share. I wonder how it'll do in the coming 2-4 week period if the number of X's are not sold compared to their projections.

I know a lot of people who can't get the Incredible are shooting for the X, instead.

Time will tell.

I picked up a boatload when it was at $6.80 per share two weeks ago. Judging by the response and reviews on the internet I suspect sales will be brisk and a nice spike is on the way. It's at $7.56 at closing today!

Go Moto!

Also, Motorola has an earnings report and projections coming up on the 29th.

Come on Droid X! comeon comeon comeon comeon...

Reaction score
I see all of your points, but I mean its only one drop of ink in a sea of milk. The droid family, correct me if I'm wrong as I am a current black berry owner, has opened up the eyes of smart phone users. The options that motorolla had opened up is a lot less limitless then blackberry and its counter parts. Yes, the original droid was like a sandbox for us to play with and create ROMs for and make it completely customizable, but they probably will unlock it with consumer requests more then the boycotts a majority of you are instantiating. Yes low business does catch manufacturers eyes, yes it will cause a change but will it be the one all of you want? Dedicated owners towards motorolla that are purchasing their new(er) products and requesting a change will also make the dev voices heard. Ok, it might be a cheap ap that they might release to over ride this eFuse but hey, a one time $5 fee for an ap like that, I'm not complaining. I know now I'll hear all about the fact of "it's not the $5's thats the problem, it's the premise of this issue that I have a problem with." Ok ok I see your point, but still who said it's motorolla's fault 100%? Ever think that Verizon made it mandatory as a steak holder of this product to instantiate this? If anything I'd split the blame.

I'll still be purchasing this phone as I need to move away from BlackBerry who has done nothing but provide an expensive paper weight. I'll live with the choice as I'm paying full retail for it when the store opens and offers it in the next 12 hours and 40 minutes and hope the Samsung galaxy has everything else when I'm eligible for my upgrade early next summer, or what ever the next competitive phone is.

I say give them a shot...

Reaction score
But SOMEONE will be able to break it, we know that always is true. Someone will find a way to fake the signature

If you got discredited for it the first time you said it, it sure didn't slow you down for saying it a second time.

Time will tell, indeed.

Well in the past people said things couldnt be hacked, smartphones no different and that changed. The MotoDroid was rooted, and that had the same problem.

However, if the encryption is 1024 bit... yes i would believe it may be, at least for now, uncrackable.

dwagner88

Reaction score
To be honest, I could really care less as long as it can be rooted. I just don't want to pay extra for tethering. People are throwing a hissy fit here about not being able to overclock a phone that can't be made to lag in the first place. This is a phone for consumers, hackers need not apply. Believe it or not, consumers far outnumber tinkerers. Did anybody consider that the phone may actually be good enough stock that custom roms will be completely irrelevant?