Motorola says buy a different phone

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course they say that. They really don't want you to root any of their phones, or at least Verizon doesn't.

Anyway someone will figure it out. They always do.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just an observer on this. I have no intentions of buying the X. I just want to see what happens with it.

If indeed they can't root this puppy I'd be worried about what plans they have for the Droid 2, which I do believe will be my next Droid.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I suggest all of you take Motorola's advice and show them that even though we are the minority we have a voice.

indefactorX

Reaction score
Has the milestone been fully rooted with custom roms?

Apparently so:

Motorola MILESTONE Rooted

I also have no doubt in my mind that within the first few months of its release, the Droid X will also be rooted

I do intend on getting one of these for my wife & the Droid Pro(2ghz myth phone) for myself

And i will wait just as patiently as i did for root to come to the Droid 1

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have to say Motorola is being a little like Apple in this situation. But that is their right. I don't HAVE to buy their phone(s).

I guess I won't be buying phones when they first come out anymore until I find that there is a following for customizing the software. That
, at least to me, is where the fun of having a smart phone is at. A big dissapointment for me from Motorola but there are plenty of other cell phone makers out there who will gladly take my money. But until I have to upgrade the Droid is great for now thanks to all the great devs here and elsewhere.

Sent from your Droid

Darkseider

Reaction score
Has the milestone been fully rooted with custom roms?

Apparently so:

Motorola MILESTONE Rooted

I also have no doubt in my mind that within the first few months of its release, the Droid X will also be rooted

I do intend on getting one of these for my wife & the Droid Pro(2ghz myth phone) for myself

And i will wait just as patiently as i did for root to come to the Droid 1

It has been rooted but the bootloader is encrypted meaning no custom ROMs.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I have to say Motorola is being a little like Apple in this situation. But that is their right. I don't HAVE to buy their phone(s).

I guess I won't be buying phones when they first come out anymore until I find that there is a following for customizing the software. That
, at least to me, is where the fun of having a smart phone is at. A big dissapointment for me from Motorola but there are plenty of other cell phone makers out there who will gladly take my money. But until I have to upgrade the Droid is great for now thanks to all the great devs here and elsewhere.

Sent from your Droid

Agreed and well said. I hope more people take this stance and show Motorola that their decision to lock their phones down was indeed a bad one.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. If you can root it you can still overclock it. There's other things to do besides custom rom. I'm running straight Froyo 2.2 right now and I'm happy with that. Wouldn't you be able to get your hands on leaks of future OS and install them just like with Froyo?

Darkseider

Reaction score
I don't get it. If you can root it you can still overclock it. There's other things to do besides custom rom. I'm running straight Froyo 2.2 right now and I'm happy with that. Wouldn't you be able to get your hands on leaks of future OS and install them just like with Froyo?

Nope. Unless it comes over as an OTA with the digital signature intact the eFuse will brick the phone. Welcome to the new Motorola.

Reaction score
Of course they say that. They really don't want you to root any of their phones, or at least Verizon doesn't.

Anyway someone will figure it out. They always do.

I got very much discredited because I said the same thing...

Reaction score

Nope. Unless it comes over as an OTA with the digital signature intact the eFuse will brick the phone. Welcome to the new Motorola.

But SOMEONE will be able to break it, we know that always is true. Someone will find a way to fake the signature

Darkseider

Reaction score
I'm just an observer on this. I have no intentions of buying the X. I just want to see what happens with it.

If indeed they can't root this puppy I'd be worried about what plans they have for the Droid 2, which I do believe will be my next Droid.

Hook the phone MAY be rooted but due to eFuse even that is in question at this point. Same can be said of the Droid 2 which is identical internally minus the form factor/screen size. With that being said unless Motorola has a change of heart prepare for the "Apple of Verizon".

Darkseider

Reaction score

But SOMEONE will be able to break it, we know that always is true. Someone will find a way to fake the signature

Problem is every try that is a fail = one bricked phone due to eFuse. Not to mention from what I have read the encryption on the bootloader is 1024 Bit which means never in our lifetime + a few others. The Droid X and all handsets coming from Motorola in the future will have these security measures intact unless Motorola themselves change their policy. They have now effectively become the "Apple of Verizon".