Motorola Rolls Out New Simplified Logos; 'motorola a Google company'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto_new-purple.png

It definitely looks like Motorola is shifting gears with their present and future image. They just rolled out a couple of new and more simplified logos. As you can see both logos de-emphasize Moto's own name by eliminating the capital letter on the front. It does however capitalize Google when calling itself "a Google company." Perhaps this is meant as an homage to its new parent company.

new-moto-logo-color-ring.png

Both of them keep the M badge, but one is using a muted grey color and splashes a ring of color around it, while the other is purple without the ring. It's also worth noting that they are no longer using Motorola Mobility (at least in this first examples), which could be further examples of the simplification.

Sound off what you guys think of the changes.

Source: TheVerge

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
A logo change doesn't do much for me, but it could be a sign of good changes to come. I'll reserve judgement until their first new phone releases under this new Google ownership.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I'm liking it...I just hope that they don't stick with the normal Motorola phone designs and rather go with a more Nexus device design. IMHO, Motorola makes butt ugly phones.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One more step toward Cyberdine becoming a reality? :D

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Rhino94

Reaction score
A logo change doesn't do much for me, but it could be a sign of good changes to come. I'll reserve judgement until their first new phone releases under this new Google ownership.

Like you said logos and names mean nothing unless their product is worth noting. But like I have said in another post the New Moto will be a changed one and they will have the attention of the whole world. If Google can pull this off than Google may just make one of the biggest comebacks in history

silverfang77

Reaction score
So when do we get our Motorola Nexus with 1080p display, 5 GHz octacore CPU, 64 GB storage, 16 GB RAM, slide out keyboard and stereo speakers on the phone's front bezel, also free OS upgrades for life?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Like you said logos and names mean nothing unless their product is worth noting. But like I have said in another post the New Moto will be a changed one and they will have the attention of the whole world. If Google can pull this off than Google may just make one of the biggest comebacks in history
The materials used on Moto devices impress me, but the looks itself, I wasn't a real fan of. I'm wondering if with this new "partnership" whether their design team will aim for a more curved look like many of its competitors. The only exception to that I've seen is Sony Xperia phones and they are one of the best looking devices on the market imo.

If Moto wants to show the world their change, it all starts with design.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'm not getting my hopes up but I am excited and a bit anxious to see what the new motorola has in store for the future of their devices! :nerd:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Frankly I am glad to see the name, Motorola (or motorola as the case may be), staying in the forefront. All too often, great names in corporate history go the way of mergers and acquisitions. I understand the need to build a brand and that multiple brand names under one umbrella manufacturer can lead to fragmentation and lack of identity, however there are plenty of highly successful examples of manufacturers where multiple branding has been both status quo and very rewarding for them.

Imagine for a moment if all the Acura's out there were simply known as Honda's. There would be very little separating them from the core brand of Honda cars, as well as Honda trucks, and even Honda small engines, as well as Honda power tools. How many Acura owners would feel as special with their car being compared to or associated with a concrete wet-saw or chainsaw?

estore.png

How about traveling, and deciding to stay at one hotel over another...how many executives would rather say they're staying in the Residence Inn, versus simply the Marriott, or feel real good about telling their clients or customers that they're staying in a EconoLodge or Super 8 Motel versus the Wyndham?

Wyndham & Marriott.jpg

There is a lot to be said for Multiple Brand Coherence, as depicted here;

Multiple Brand Coherence.jpg

The inference is that with multiple brands under an umbrella brand, the individual sub-brands benefit from the strength and protection of the parent or umbrella company. This then suggests that by having too much individuality leaves you at risk of more individual scrutiny and potential dire consequences. Bad news about a mere sub-brand isn't likely to bring down a major conglomerate, however if the brand stands on its own, then it's out there and open to attack from all sides.

Also sub-brands can be easily (let's say more-easily), plugged in and removed while the umbrella brand still weathers the storm. Take Coke for instance;

Ever heard of OK Soda? Yep...Coke. Citra? A little sour for the market. Vault? Looks like it missed the Pommel Horse...another one bites the dust. And Tab Clear - well clearly not a winner here.

Coke Failed.png

And yet, Coca Cola is still one of the most widely distributed beverages in the world, holding 41% of the US market for Soft Drinks, just with Coke and Diet Coke, followed by Pepsi at 15%. If you add in the other sub-brands, Sprite and Fanta, Coke reigns as the king garnering more than half the total US market share.

http://www.accuval.net/insights/industryinsights/detail.php?ID=142

From Wikipedia;

Advantages[edit]

1. Promotion is very cheap and easy for products falling under umbrella branding. This strategy is generally implemented by firms coming up with a new product.
  2. For all the different products and services, advertising, promotion and Integrated Marketing Communications tools can be combined.
  3. Also, launching of a new product under umbrella gains recognition easily as it is introduced in the market which has already accepted the brand image.
Disadvantages[edit]

1. If any one product under umbrella branding does not do well in the market then it can affect the overall brand
  2. Different brands in umbrella branding will have different qualities which will vary and thus it can be an obstacle for smooth functioning of brand as well as firm.
  3. Also, if there is negative publicity for any product or even new product it can affect the other brands under umbrella branding.
Purposes[edit]

1. It is easy to identify the new brand in the company under umbrella branding by the customers.
  2. It gives uniformity to all the brands falling under it may be through one designated approach of advertising, promotion, packing etc.
  3. It is a very economical strategy to be implemented.
  4. It is probably the best way to enter into new segments or introduce a new product to market.
  5. It will be very profitable for firms which are having different quality of brands and different images of brands if followed properly.
  6. It is the branding strategy that gives the probability of a brand extension for every possible quality of profile.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute....I thought Google bought Moto Mobility, not the whole Motorola company? I must be wrong, otherwise I don't see how they could use the "Motorola" name.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Correct. Motorola SOLUTIONS is still a separate company.

Must be something in the sales contract that said they could do this....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Someone needs to update their history pdf. : )

http://www.sicom.com.uy/recursos/museo/history-motorola-timeline-overview-1p06mb-20.pdf

It would be nice to see Moto lead the wave again.

Ha!! Apparently Motorola has made more than one BRICK!

1962 HT200 Portable Two-Way Radio
Motorola introduced the transistorized Handie-Talkie HT200
portable two-way radio in 1962. It weighed 33 ounces (935
grams) and was nicknamed the "brick" because of its shape
and durability.

1983 World's First Commercial Portable Cellular Phone
The world's first commercial handheld cellular phone, the
Motorola DynaTAC phone, received approval from the U.S.
Federal Communications Commission on September 21,
1983. The 28-ounce (794-gram) phone became available to
consumers in 1984.

(Note: the DynaTac 8000X was also affectionately referred to as "the brick" for both its dimensional size and weight.)

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
motorola better do something fast because my brand loyalty is gradually starting to shift towards Samsung. :disappointed:

My preferred list of features:
• Physical keyboard
• Removal Battery
• NFC
• More stock Google Android and less motoblur
**to name a few**

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The motorola Stark Industries IronMan logo

moto_new-ironman_2.jpg