Motorola Reveals Specs and Features for the New Moto X

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I think they are expecting cloud storage to be used. Even at 32 GB or 64GB.

16GB is useless if you do anything more than use your phone strictly as a text/call/email device. If you shoot 4K video and your 16GB phone has a few apps and pictures on it, it's a dice roll. If it takes too long to send to the cloud it's gonna CHOKE.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
16GB is useless if you do anything more than use your phone strictly as a text/call/email device. If you shoot 4K video and your 16GB phone has a few apps and pictures on it, it's a dice roll. If it takes too long to send to the cloud it's gonna CHOKE.

The 4k video is a good point (although shooting in 4k seems extreme overkill)....higher res videos and photos are but one storage hog.

And I'm not sure it's even possible to shoot video and simultaneously upload/store it in the cloud. I want to say something like 10 minutes of 4k video will fill-up 16gigs.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not to beat the 16GB horse to death, but this thing shoots 4K video??? Um... how big are THOSE files going to be?
1 minute of 4k video takes up 1gb of storage. So don't expect to shoot more them 10 minutes of 4k video on completely empty device before running out of storage.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
All I'm going to say is that I had to alter how I used my phone because, like a dummy, I got the 16GB version. Not a fault of the device... totally my fault. My phone hovered at 2-3GB free constantly, and it really cramped my style. I eventually got over it, but I really need the breathing room if I ever ended up in a pinch. Now, I definitely have that breathing room.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
It's a wonderful device for the price...however no SD card expansion and 32GB will be maximum internal storage capacity (assuming a 32GB version is released). Damn...at least stock Android sans bloatware and Android L coming out in the upcoming months will be something to be motivated for. As for the so called Moto Nexus...again no SD card storage, but what can you expect with a Nexus device. Thanks Verizon for ruining the raw Android experience.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
While I'm definitely buying this phone, there are a few head-scratchers for me:
  • Why not make it dual-speakers? The G has it.
  • The indent on the back. I read that consumer feedback led to it being made larger, but if that's all it serves, I feel it could have been smaller. (Maybe they thought it was more symmetrical to make it the same size as the camera ring.)
  • Battery. All day is fine, but why limit it to that benchmark. Put a bigger battery and tout your 2-day battery life. Especially if L improves upon it.
  • There currently is a 64GB version of the X, so I'm surprised they aren't releasing one now. I just hope they don't do like last time and release it late in the cycle. I can see this annoying a lot of people.
I'll just have to assume costs and/or production considerations led to some of their decisions

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on this!! :D

kitty start

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
+86
The back cover has so many color versions,but it looks not fashion enough.Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor is so common.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can live with a locked bootloader....but I NEED root, and that concerns me. I'm am leaning heavily towards Moto as I'm one of the rare types that still relies on my cell as my primary phone, especially critical for business.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Still waiting.... :(

Still waiting. Checking the Moto Maker site. 2 and 3 times a day.
Drop the price even $25 for the 64GB model and I'll buy it.
Getting a little nervous, though. Noticed today one of the backs is UNAVAILABLE. Never seen that before. Does that mean the X 1st Gen will be discontinued??
I LOVE the size and price of the OGX and am chomping at the bit to get one before they go bye bye. Do NOT love the price and size of the 2X.
(OGX = Original Generation X).

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Right on. That's the plan for now. Just put a new ROM on my phone that I don't hate so hopefully it will get me through.

Reactions: cr6