Motorola Reveals Specs and Features for the New Moto X

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Seriously? I am surprised more people aren't annoyed by 16GB phones.
Memory is cheap.
My Wife is a pretty average user and with a new kid around (pics, pics, pics), space constraints are a CONSTANT hassle for her. Granted she has a 16GB iPhone (but she'd have the same issue with any 16GB phone) but she is constantly running into space issues because of all the pics.

16GB is mediocre. At best.
And "ONLY" $50 for another 16gb? Robbery....
64GB SD Cards are $50....

Other then that, though, and the size...
I DO like it.
I can relate. My wife has the 32g iPhone and reserved the 64g iPhone 6 today.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Same here, I had to move my wife's pictures from her 32gb maxx twice now over the course of almost a year.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's just the point, too. The very first Droid had 16GB 7 years ago. We haven't advanced enough yet to have 32GB be the base model??? Storage is cheaper then it was then...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, once again a phone larger than I wanted (two front speakers only adds to the bulk)....and no SD and I really don't want to shell out for a phone with only 2gigs of ram.

I think I'm at the point where I actually need a new phone, but will probably grab a discounted original Moto X (supposedly going on sale tomorrow for $199).

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Like, 2 phones have more then 2GB of RAM. ?!?!?!
And 2 is pretty good for any modern phone today.

I do think it's funny that Moto said about the first MotoX (and still says on the main MotoX page):

It just fits

We think your phone should actually fit your hand, not the other way around. So we went ahead and made one that does just that.
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/moto-x/Moto-X/FLEXR1.html

Err.... so what happened with Gen2????

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Like, 2 phones have more then 2GB of RAM. ?!?!?!

That's likely to change this holiday season. 2gigs of ram is very likely to be marginal, at best, in a year or two just like 1 gig is and was.

I'm convinced holding back ram and storage is tacit "collusion" to drive people to upgrade every 2 years. Instead they "invest" the money in megapixels and dpi that have gone well past the point of any marginal utility to the consumer, but those features won't leave you're phone a laggy and buggy mess (driving you to upgrade) as the OS and apps become more power/resource hungry.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$200? Believe that (aka buy that) when I see it. :D

Supposedly, for the Moto X+1 it's $500 retail and $99 on contract. I can't see any reason I'd want to pay $300 more for this over the discounted original Moto X.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP updated with more accurate info regarding the single front-facing speaker on the Moto X.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The PRICE isn't the point I was trying to make. Why even SELL a 16GB phone?

What cracks me up is all the mid/low tier phones with 8gigs of storage or less require and so get an SD slot. I'd rather have 8gigs of storage with an SD card supporting 128gigs. It's almost comical to sell a high-end phone with 16gigs of non-expandable storage - OS, apps, data & cache are chewing up 5-6gigs in most cases. I have a handful of reader apps downloading several gigs a week of content for offline reading (which is a great way to save on data caps, although I'm unlimited).

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm wondering about the camera. Not so much the clarity but the resolution size. 13 MP??? Really??? Why? The original Moto X ( which I currently have) is 10 MP and I think that is a bit much. If the new X has selectable resolution on the camera, great! I wish the original X had that...but instead I'm "stuck" with this massive picture resolution which, if I want to send a picture text to someone, it takes a bit longer than it should.

Its time phone manufacturers give up the megapixel "war" and focus on image quality and file size of the images. I really don't need to be printing poster-size prints from my cell phone.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
2300 battery not enough IMO and I agree 16gb get them out of here ...lol

M8 tap'd

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not to beat the 16GB horse to death, but this thing shoots 4K video??? Um... how big are THOSE files going to be?