Motorola 'Reinventing Itself'; Cutting Staff and Concentrating on Fewer Devices

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 13, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Things have been rather quiet on the front with Motorola since Google acquired them. However, if you read between the lines of this newest report, this could be the "calm before the storm" that heralds a huge comeback for the manufacturer. According to a new report from the New York Times, Motorola is in a transition period where it is "reinventing itself."

First, the company is going to get more focused and streamlined. This means they will have to make some painful cuts. They will be cutting about 20% of their workforce, which amounts to about 4,000 people. One third of those cut will be in the United States and the rest will be internationally as Motorola leaves unprofitable markets. This includes deep cuts to to their upper management. They are letting go 40 percent of their vice presidents, and they already replaced senior executives. Additionally, Motorola plans to reduce operations in Asia and India, and focus research and development in Chicago, Sunnyvale and Beijing.

Second, Dennis Woodside, Motorola’s new chief executive, shared in an interview that the other big change for the company is their renewed focus on just a few quality phones instead of the 27 they released last year. They intend to stop making low-end devices. Here's a statement from Mr. Woodside,

Mr. Woodside expanded further on this sharing that he wants to make the company’s products "cool again." They have a new R&D department they call their Advanced Technology and Projects. This team of about a dozen advanced metal scientists, acoustics engineers and artificial intelligence experts are working on some pretty exciting stuff. For example, our future Droid devices will have sensors that recognize who is in a room based on their voices, cameras that take much crisper photos and batteries that last for days.

Here's a quote with a few more details on this group,

Sounds pretty enticing! Motorola already has great brand recognition with both Droid and RAZR. If they can really make good on these innovations and ignite the marketing fire for their lineup, we could see both Apple and Samsung with a serious competitor to contend with. What do you guys think?

Source: NYTimes
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but it is much needed. Moto is so scattered and unfocused that some drastic changes had to be made. It looks like some pretty exciting times are ahead for the consumer and Motorla Mobility
    2 people like this.
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

I want to see a phone like the galaxy s series that gives us an awesome phone every year one slider one on screen.
    4 people like this.
  4. Rindaen

Rindaen New Member

Hate that there will be people in US and other countries loosing there job,
    but glad to hear they will put more focus on the products.
    Would be nice if a device didnt reach its end of life before the contract is up :/
    1 person likes this.
  5. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree about the jobs... it sucks...

But perhaps moto and Google and moto are gonna finally kill some rancid fruit :)

I hope they finally develope android in some areas that its lacking so far...
  6. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Didn't Motorola say they were releasing fewer phones last year? I don't think they've released a lot of phones this year so far.
  7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

It's just mind-boggling how many different handsets there are out there. A smartphone is, more or less, about as "commoditized" as a product can get.

Not to mention, there aren't many successful business models I'm aware of that ask themselves "How can we offer MORE devices unneccessarily? How else can we waste money cannibalizing our own sales?"

It's almost like OEM's were afraid if they only made 1 phone that Apple would sue them for copying their business model.
  8. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

It's a smart move. Once they become focused they can be a much, much more competitive company. Considering that the OG Droid really got the Android scene taking off it's clear that a lack of leadership caused the company to stagnate. Nothing else explains a company flagging after having so much momentum.
    1 person likes this.
  9. shakes268

shakes268 New Member

4,000 jobs is quite a bit. In some places, thats more than the size of a small town.

This adds fuel to the "Corporate greed" fire and the Occupy movement will probably have a field day.
    I wonder how many of them tweet from Android devices? Andy graphics with his hands in people's pockets pulling out money or Andy pointing at people across a table going "You're fired!"

Way to be evil Google.
  10. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

yes 4k jobs is a lot to lose, but if Moto kept going in the same direction it was heading before the Google buyout then it could have been A LOT more people losing their jobs. Moto mobility was in really bad shape before Google stepped in. If they had not been purchased (by an American company at that) then there was the chance that the company would have gone bankrupt and that would have meant that a lot more would be unemployed. If a foreign company came in and bought them, they could have packed up and moved everything overseas and then where would they be? So while the "corporate greed" has cost a number of jobs, things could have ended up a lot worse for a lot more people.

I think its great that Moto is going to concentrate on a fewer high-end devices, as opposed to rolling out a different variation of the same phone weeks apart (Bionic, Droid4, RAZR, RAZR MAXX) and then having to actually support these phones afterwards (STILL waiting on an official ICS release for my Bionic). Who knows, maybe we'll get an unlocked bootloader now that Google is in charge.

I could really care less about what the occupy people think, or what device they use to spread their beliefs. this is not the place to discuss politics.
    3 people like this.
  11. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

pc in my opinion this is key to their success or failure. Samsung figured it out before any of them. They need a brand. If they don't choose the RAZR as their brand then they had better get something out this year that is innovative and make it their brand for the coming years.
  12. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

Ck i hope so i like the razr branding. The galaxy s phones are nice but google needs a successful product that doesn't look like the iPhone. And motorola has an opportunity to do that with the razr branding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

The only trend that I don't like about the RAZR line of phones (locked bootloader aside) is the non-removable battery, that was one of my major reasons for not getting the iphone in the first place. My brother has the MAXX and was complaining that his battery life sucks if he leaves 4G on all day, I'm sorry but thats not an option for me. I have a device that is capable of utilizing 4G...Guess what, as long as there is a 4G signal where I am, thats what I am going to use. I don't pay an arm and a leg to VZW so I can NOT use one of the main features of the phone. I have extra batteries so that when it gets low, pop in a backup and keep on going.

Moto could very well take the RAZR line and run with it. Many people already associate android with the DROID name, more-so than they really should, but that's how well a job the DROID advertising was done. It has people identifying the operating system with a very specific group of phones.
  14. androidlearner

androidlearner Member

Well technically Motorola has 2 brands. Droid (Removable battery and slider keyboard) and Razr (Non-removable battery and virtual keyboard). Razr also has the Maxx sub-brand for people who would rather pay less for the smaller battery as they might not need the extra battery life. If they stopped locking boot loaders, it would help a lot also.
  15. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

DROID is a Verizon brand, unfortunately, not a Motorola brand. That's why you will see non-Moto devices on VZW with "DROID" branding.
    1 person likes this.
  16. metalspring

metalspring New Member

well yes and no...the name "droid" may be a verizon branding, however maybe they just need to create their own name for it since they do come out with 1 a year i believe
  17. npro1464

npro1464 Member

I wish the stupid "Droid" branding would go away for good. The logical flaw people often make is one of my biggest tech pet-peeves (DROID = Android, therefore Android = DROID :icon_evil:). I think people are FINALLY coming around now, and the Droid fad might be dying. It may never go away, but with the Galaxy and Nexus devices taking over, this might finally be going away.
  18. deadernie

deadernie New Member

Call me weird or whatever, but every mobile device I've had spanning almost 20 years has been Motorola. There always seems to be a more solid and well built feel to their product.

If all this keeps Moto going and innovating new stuff then I'm for it.
  19. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator

The Razr is the Droid Razr...its part of the Droid line of phones. To date Motorola has not released an Android smartphone with Verizon that was not Droid branded.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  20. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

It's definetly bad to see people lose jobs, however this doesn't seem like a "we aren't making money so we're downsizing to make investors happy". It seems like they're actually changing to a more profitable business model, either way I hope they have a great departure plan (financially) for the newly unemployed.
    1 person likes this.