Motorola Refutes Claim that they Plan to Decline and Terminate XOOM Production

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-xoom-tablet-ces-2011.jpg

A recent article at Digitimes.com claimed that according to suppliers forecasts, Motorola would be declining and terminating the Xoom during the second quarter of this year. Here's a quote from the original article,
But Motorola's Xoom orders in the second quarter will drop gradually each month, and orders will only last till the end of June, the sources said.
The story seemed a bit "suspect" so we did run anything on it until we could get more details. It was a wise move on our part to do so, because as it turns out, Motorola themselves were contacted and completely refuted these claims. Here is a direct quote from representatives at Motorola,
The Digitimes article is NOT accurate. Motorola Mobility is planning to manufacture and sell the Motorola XOOM beyond the second quarter.
The likely scenario that is emerging from the whole story is that they plan to introduce a new Xoom SKU into their system towards the end of the second quarter. When one of their suppliers saw the declining older SKU number, they jumped to conclusions and assumed that Motorola was going to shut down the Xoom altogether. That seems like a pretty ridiculous "leap pf logic", don't you think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Phandroid and Digitimes

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
And then in the 3rd quarter a new tablet comes out and the Xoom dissappears. Its how it works with companies other than Apple. Apple will only give you one thing forcing you to buy only one thing for as long as they see fit. With competition of the Android tablets, companies have to keep innovating because if they don't, someone else will.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...might be the Incredible discontinued rumors all over again....lol

Those were some wild threads back then.

hesham1

Reaction score
Hopefully with that new SKU we'll see a much lower price tag on the xoom. They would sell a lot more of these things if they were competitively priced

Sent from my HTC TOUCH PRO 2 FROYO X using DroidForums App

jv59

Reaction score
Please Note.

I was just at a Verizon Wireless Zone (not actually Verizon) store and the sales person told me that the Xoom was being discontinued in few months. This information was based on an email he received from his corporate headquarters. If this information is untrue then Motorola better make sure this rumor doesn't spread any further.

allintrest

Reaction score
Office Max said the same thing,

I was their bragging on my Acer A500 3.2 and the sales guy told me Xoom to be discontinued co-ink-i-dink, weird huh