Motorola RAZR Developer Edition will include unlocked bootloader in Europe!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I need some sort of hardware warranty, especially with Motorola. I have had to use my warranty too many times with my X to be comfortable.

X

That is my concern as well; whats to keep motorola for selling us bad razrs for 600 and say "no warranty you are out of luck, but thanks for the $600". They need to do better than that. I am all for manufacturers voiding warranty IF YOU unlock the phone. I mean if I buy a phone and day 1 unlock it with out atleast checking it over than that is on me. I would rather you sell it locked and let me play with it for awhile to make sure its a good device and then do like htc where I can unlock the bootloader via website and my warranty just be voided. And in any case where I will buy a phone that my warranty is voided upon unlocked I will definitely be buying through a company like best buy where they have solid insurace. Because verizon's 3rd party insurance do no cover jailbreaking, where best buy insurance quietly does. Yes its a step in the right direction but they need to go a little further.

loki993

Reaction score
They just need to offer a way to unlock the current bootloaders like HTC does. All this is and will be, if it even actually happens, is a very poor attempt at appeasement. "give the people that want an unlocked phone a "dev" phone for 600 dollars with no warranty or carrier and maybe they'll shut up about bootloaders"

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Interesting but not revolutionary.
Their next product will be. It will be called the "OMG Razr Maxx Ultra HD" and will be released 5 days after the unlocked Razr Maxx is released in the US. It will be just like the Razr Maxx unlocked, but will include a 720p display. $299 at Verizon.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
As for the warranty stuff...in their defense they do say this is a "developer" phone. It isn't really intended for the average person. It is intended for developers.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
That is my concern as well; whats to keep motorola for selling us bad razrs for 600 and say "no warranty you are out of luck, but thanks for the $600". They need to do better than that. I am all for manufacturers voiding warranty IF YOU unlock the phone. I mean if I buy a phone and day 1 unlock it with out atleast checking it over than that is on me. I would rather you sell it locked and let me play with it for awhile to make sure its a good device and then do like htc where I can unlock the bootloader via website and my warranty just be voided. And in any case where I will buy a phone that my warranty is voided upon unlocked I will definitely be buying through a company like best buy where they have solid insurace. Because verizon's 3rd party insurance do no cover jailbreaking, where best buy insurance quietly does. Yes its a step in the right direction but they need to go a little further.
I believe thats the way it will be done. The device ships locked and the consumer unlocks the device.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As for the warranty stuff...in their defense they do say this is a "developer" phone. It isn't really intended for the average person. It is intended for developers.

Right but if they buy a phone that off the back has a voided warranty and the volume rocker doesnt work and the screen has dead spots then that could be an issue. In other words my concern is motorola selling lemons to developers.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I don't see Verizon having two developer phones on their network simultaneously if/when it comes to the US. I sure hope I'm wrong though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Right but if they buy a phone that off the back has a voided warranty and the volume rocker doesnt work and the screen has dead spots then that could be an issue. In other words my concern is motorola selling lemons to developers.

[video=youtube;H6Q4s_ZdvAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Q4s_ZdvAQ&ob=av2e[/video]

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Their next product will be. It will be called the "OMG Razr Maxx Ultra HD" and will be released 5 days after the unlocked Razr Maxx is released in the US. It will be just like the Razr Maxx unlocked, but will include a 720p display. $299 at Verizon.

+1... ten

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Captmilk

Reaction score
He's an Idea. Let all donate to a "Unlock the Bootloader fund" the first person able to do it gets the cash. Maybe that will entice those Motorola employees out there to give up the goods....(I am just kidding)

xiogua

Reaction score
He's an Idea. Let all donate to a "Unlock the Bootloader fund" the first person able to do it gets the cash. Maybe that will entice those Motorola employees out there to give up the goods....(I am just kidding)
I like that idea, and I would donate if I had a credit card.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reaction score
15 days after* that way you cant return the first phone.