Motorola Photon announced for Sprint, ships with unlocked boatloader?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I thought it was also clear, that I was talking about devices released on Verizon, like the XOOM example you used. If Moto said, "we are releasing the XOOM with an unlockable bootloader" they need Verizon's approval to make that statement (meaning Verizon has to approve the device). If HTC says "we're unlocking all bootloaders" that doesn't mean Verizon approves unlocked HTC devices on their network. HTC is not Verizon is not Motorola. I'm not taking it out of proportion, I'm actually amazed that this even has to be discussed lol. I would think it would be obvious to everyone.

But I wasn't saying HTC was Verizon. I just simply asked if HTC had to go through the same process as the one you said Motorola went through. And I stated that this whole thing was my opinion and simply used HTC as my "somewhat" source

Sent from my DROID2

You said "So ur saying that someone also gave aproval for htc to announce that they won't be locking bootloaders...I don't think so..."...and no one is saying that. No one ever said that. HTC doesn't need to consult Verizon when they make business decisions, and no one said they do or implied they do.

This started with you stating that it's not the carriers who decide if bootloaders are locked, and then taking one twitter post out of context and assumed that to mean that we will get unlocked bootloaders.

What I'm saying that yes it is carriers who decide to allow unlocked bootloader phones on their network. they have the final say as to what devices are on their network. if an HTC phone comes unlocked on Verizon, it's cause Verizon approved it. So while HTC doesn't have to get verizon's permission to unlock their phones or make announcements about unlocked phones, they sure as hell need Verizon's permission to keep it unlocked or not if they want to sell to Verizon customers.

But I didn't mean that just because of that twitter post we were gonna get devices with unlocked bootloaders. I simply said that VZW WILL allow devices with unlocked bootloaders in their network, that is all

Sent from my DROID2

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I wasn't saying HTC was Verizon. I just simply asked if HTC had to go through the same process as the one you said Motorola went through. And I stated that this whole thing was my opinion and simply used HTC as my "somewhat" source

Sent from my DROID2

You said "So ur saying that someone also gave aproval for htc to announce that they won't be locking bootloaders...I don't think so..."...and no one is saying that. No one ever said that. HTC doesn't need to consult Verizon when they make business decisions, and no one said they do or implied they do.

This started with you stating that it's not the carriers who decide if bootloaders are locked, and then taking one twitter post out of context and assumed that to mean that we will get unlocked bootloaders.

What I'm saying that yes it is carriers who decide to allow unlocked bootloader phones on their network. they have the final say as to what devices are on their network. if an HTC phone comes unlocked on Verizon, it's cause Verizon approved it. So while HTC doesn't have to get verizon's permission to unlock their phones or make announcements about unlocked phones, they sure as hell need Verizon's permission to keep it unlocked or not if they want to sell to Verizon customers.

But I didn't mean that just because of that twitter post we were gonna get devices with unlocked bootloaders. I simply said that VZW WILL allow devices with unlocked bootloaders in their network, that is all

Sent from my DROID2

Oh ok...apologies

yahwarrior

Reaction score
Sprint's service has greatly improved in my area so maybe it has in others.Unlimited data plans are what is needed for smartphones and sadly Verizon will never have that again.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sprint's service has greatly improved in my area so maybe it has in others.Unlimited data plans are what is needed for smartphones and sadly Verizon will never have that again.

Neither will sprint for long. I'd rather stick with a good carrier then run around chasing unlimited data