Motorola Photon announced for Sprint, ships with unlocked boatloader?

Tillmorn

Reaction score
It won't ship with it sure...but if Moto is really pushing for unlocked status in late 2011? Maybe an OTA or something with it? Either way, Sprint does seem to be getting a more and more impressive lineup. I wonder how service is around SC....

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Article updated.. You know what they say.. if it's to good to be true, it probably isn't..

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Checking on the Engadget Website, its also 4G, and it has a GSM Radio in it, too, so Sprint users finally get an awesome Global Phone!

That's great for them but it also means those of us with Verizon can rest easy knowing that Motorola can make Global Phones that are also 4G and have amazing specs.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow..

Too bad Sprint sucks in my area. Its Verizon or AT&T for me. If this really is unlocked and the one on Verizon is locked...I dont know what to say...

You could easily say that Verizon is the muscle behind locking their phones bootloaders.

Also, Sprint sucks for me too. Oh well.
it isnt the carrier that decides to lock the bootloaders

sb1831

Reaction score

One can't assume they play no part in the decision, though, right?

Well u ppl can play the blame game but verizon announced via twitter that WE CAN HAVE DEVICES WITH UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS...

Sent from my DROID2

Talk about taking something out of context and reading what you want into it.

@VZWSupport
VZW Support
@andrewwalberg I have confirmed we allow phones w/ unlocked bootloaders to be activated on our network. Sorry for the misinformation.

Where does it say that they'll be actively bringing phones to their lineup with unlocked bootloaders? Oh it doesn't. It say's you can activate a phone on their network if the bootloader is unlocked. It doesn't say they'll be debuting phones with unlocked bootloaders, or even so much as an un-encrypted/unsigned bootloader.

How one gets from permitting unlocked bootloaders to making a blanket statement that all devices should come with unlocked bootloaders because it's permitted is beyond me.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I hope mto gets a clue...

HTC has pledged to unlock from this point, Samsung has sent free phones to CyanogenMod devs and Sony has said they will put a site up to unlock phones. So for those who say we don't have any say, or that it is just gonna get worse with locked down phones I think they need to look at what is happening.. Other than Moto, which is usually their own worse enemy, most other top OEMs are going to open phones up more not lock them down more. So that is a win for us and a loss for moto... Just look at HTC, sales twice last years numbers for the same period... Obviously their strategy is working just fine!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Well u ppl can play the blame game but verizon announced via twitter that WE CAN HAVE DEVICES WITH UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS...

Sent from my DROID2

Talk about taking something out of context and reading what you want into it.

@VZWSupport
VZW Support
@andrewwalberg I have confirmed we allow phones w/ unlocked bootloaders to be activated on our network. Sorry for the misinformation.

Where does it say that they'll be actively bringing phones to their lineup with unlocked bootloaders? Oh it doesn't. It say's you can activate a phone on their network if the bootloader is unlocked. It doesn't say they'll be debuting phones with unlocked bootloaders, or even so much as an un-encrypted/unsigned bootloader.

How one gets from permitting unlocked bootloaders to making a blanket statement that all devices should come with unlocked bootloaders because it's permitted is beyond me.
i didnt say they were bringing phones into their lineup...im just saying exactly what u said, that YOU CAN activate a phone with unlocked bootloaders!

ddosprotection

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my DROID2

not trying to play a blame game, just think it's a little silly to think Verizon has zero say in it - especially with how they're clamping down on tetherers/rooters... and based on a twitter post alone. Of course they can have them, heck, they do currently. Bootloaders have nothing to do with the phone working on a network, generally speaking anyway. Anyway, not a big deal, didn't mean to start a debate, just wanted to throw my .02 in - whether it's wrong or not! :)

Last edited: