Motorola Olympus aka "Terminator" Spotted!

altimax98

Reaction score
Hey guys I know what your talking about with the manufacturers needing to make apps for the dual core processors but I don't think its that in this case.
From what I read it seems that one core will be dedicated for use while the other dedicated to gpu. That would open up a whole world of fun for our phones and it should be 100% compatible to upgrade anything we run currently:)
I am going to be getting this phone. My 1 year anniversary with the D1 is up on Jan 13th so after that its free game... the D1 is an amazing phone and always will be, but as more memory intensive apps and games and launchers come out its no longer a forefront runner for techies like us..... but my D1 will always be around me for storage and such. Sideloading apps and tethering will keep my D1 around a lot longer then when I deactivate it from verizon service.

I'm really excited... hopefully this will be the same as our d1, a phone ahead of its time packing features and a huge community support base.... :) :) :) :)

I'm excited :)

Sent from one of those missing Droids

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
CES can not come quick enough. This is a bad time for all of those with the DROID 1 who have an annual upgrade and are ready to make a switch.

Why is it a bad time? The Droid 1 still gets the job done just fine, why not just save the upgrade for when a device comes out that is truly upgrade worthy? Like they say, patience is a virtue.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I know what your talking about with the manufacturers needing to make apps for the dual core processors but I don't think its that in this case.
From what I read it seems that one core will be dedicated for use while the other dedicated to gpu. That would open up a whole world of fun for our phones and it should be 100% compatible to upgrade anything we run currently:)

Incorrect. What you are referring to is the way that the CURRENT lineup of System-on-a-chip designs are laid out. For example, the Droid X's OMAP3630 SOC has an ARM Cortex A8 CPU core, and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU core.

A dual-core processor design means that there will be 2 discrete ARM Cortex cores (A9 in the case of the Tegra 2) PLUS a seperate GPU core (GeForce in the case of the Tegra 2)

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
A dual-core processor design means that there will be 2 discrete ARM Cortex cores (A9 in the case of the Tegra 2) PLUS a seperate GPU core (GeForce in the case of the Tegra 2)
This would be correct..............

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
CES can not come quick enough. This is a bad time for all of those with the DROID 1 who have an annual upgrade and are ready to make a switch.

Why is it a bad time? The Droid 1 still gets the job done just fine, why not just save the upgrade for when a device comes out that is truly upgrade worthy? Like they say, patience is a virtue.

I am being patient. When my contract is up next week, I will not be tempted to buy the current crop of phones or the near rumored (Mecha/Merge).

I will wait to the truly remarkably crop of the T2 phones. The DROID 1 does have memory issues, but more important to me, I want 100 + apps and the D1 is not suitable for this. I am been fighting low memory warnings for months. Apps2SD is not a suitable option for me. For some apps, it is. But i rather just be able to store all apps on internal memory. I don't want to overclock a phone so that it can perform how I want. I dont want redraws, etc. Therefore, while I love the D1, I am anxious to move on.

fucco

Reaction score
what is the on board storage?? I have all my apps on the droid on the sd card due to not having enough storage

altimax98

Reaction score

Incorrect. What you are referring to is the way that the CURRENT lineup of System-on-a-chip designs are laid out. For example, the Droid X's OMAP3630 SOC has an ARM Cortex A8 CPU core, and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU core.

A dual-core processor design means that there will be 2 discrete ARM Cortex cores (A9 in the case of the Tegra 2) PLUS a seperate GPU core (GeForce in the case of the Tegra 2)[/QUOTE ]

Yes you are correct I don't know where I read that from. Thanks for the correction.

Sent from one of those missing Droids

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dual core.....better multi tasking? Its not as bad as some make it out to be but if it helps make it better, its all good. I read where battery life is better than single core. That alone would make me want one bad...

Although....I also read where other dual core chips had better battery life than the Tegra 2. Hopefully there will be other dual core chips out to really do comparisons. Or the info I read is old and now wrong. HTC is supposed to have a dual core Snapdragon coming soon, right? Hope its sooner than later...

Here's me still hoping for an OMAP dual core with a Tegra 2 or Mali gpu...

rcjames

Reaction score

Probably two core in one cpu including the third one for graphic. Thats crazy
never knew they would do that or maybe this phone might have the grahpic
core on seperate chip. Most likely they'll have the cpu to carry the two cpu cores and a gpu seperate.

taggert

Reaction score
So, if you were me...waiting impatiently to become a new smartphone user (upgrade 1/2/11) and a non techno would you recommend going with a DX or waiting for either the DINC HD or the Moto Olympus to come out (or something else)?

I'm new to the forum and really learning a lot by being here....and patience is NOT one of my virtues either. LOL!!

MrSinister1

Reaction score
this is a gorgeous phone but I'm also interested in the LG Star because I'm hoping for vanilla android which is a huge plus and maybe an unlocked bootloader. I've been pretty upset with moto, don't get me wrong I love my DX I think it's a great phone and its amazing to me what the devs like drod, TBH and others have been able to do despite the lckd BL but the moto blur junk is terrible IMO and thats after I've used it extensively even though there are a couple aspects of blur that I do think are done well but my biggest complaint with blur, touchwiz, sense and the rest of these custom skins is that its basically mandatory that its attached to our phones and I know some people say they don't take up much mem. or space and that they're not that bad but it takes up some and I shouldn't have it forced upon me and crammed down my throat everytime I open my app drawer and IMHO if I pay $600 or $700(which I fully expect these to be) I should be able to pick and choose what apps and features I want on my phone which is why I'm very interested in the LG star and depressed to hear the Olympus running blur(hopefully it will be a much improved version) and the whole lckd BL issue is a joke to me I have no idea why moto would do this or what purpose it even serves because when any of us root and violate the terms and conditions it voids our warranty anyway so in the end all it does is damage the end user expirience and cause me to express my displeasure with my wallet but I will withhold judgement until we see and hear more info and I'm sure the phone will be a great piece of tech but for my money I wanna be sure and after owning two moto branded droids I've realized how important vanilla android and build quality is to ME so maybe its time for a switch in brands only time will tell. Sorry if I rambled and got a little off topic but I'm just throwing my 2cents in and I bet all these phones will be awesome and its great we live in a world now where we have sooo many great options and not just iphone3 or iphone4 lol.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Kinda looks like a Fascinate. May have to put aside my hate for Blur on this one!

DroidForums junkie!

Beardface

Reaction score
Comes to Verizon in February? Oh how convenient that thats when my upgrade comes

With those specs... yep, I just found the phone I've been waiting for... Sorry, HTC, I'm a Moto guy