Motorola Officially Unleashes the Droid RAZR HD, HD MAXX & Droid RAZR M

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Cracked screens come about with every new phone introduction, however when a phone is advertised as "scratch resistant", some choose to interpret that to mean "shatter-proof" when nothing could be farther from the truth. Also with the addition of Kevlar as a backing material, it gives some the impression that it's more resistant to dings such as those suffered when dropped. Again, nothing could be farther from the truth.

I've seen plenty of postings for ALL models of phones which have suffered screen cracking, and some will admit it was their fault, others won't and still others may not know it was their fault but simply "discover" the damage after last seeing it with no cracks. People carry these phones in their back pockets and sit on them, in their front pockets and then lean over to pick something up or to sit down, drop them inside their pocketbooks and then toss keys into the pocketbook on top, etc. Glass is glass, and glass being as hard as it is (although somewhat flexible), is also brittle. Any structure that is as dense and rigid as glass will shatter with the right amount of pressure, stress, shock, or flex.

What I am saying in a nutshell is, there isn't necessarily an inherent propensity toward cracking in the Droid RAZRs, but there may be an implied indestructibility that causes people to be less careful with them, which in turn results in the cracking. These phones are thinner than anything else out at the time of introduction and with that thinner form factor comes a greater potential to flex. The manufacturer installed an internal frame of stainless steel to minimize the flex, but due to the laminated design (where every layer is physically attached to the one above and below it with adhesive or hardware, a flex in the case translates into a flex of the glass. This is in contrast to other phones where the glass isn't actually part of the physical structure as it is in the RAZR and instead is simply held in place by the exterior surrounding frame, adhesive or some other method.

See below;

[video=youtube;7ridjtcza7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ridjtcza7E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Extinct

Reaction score
Do a search on cracked screens associated with Razr's - much higher prevalence - especially on the Maxx - long thread on the Verizon forum with lots of people stating the screens cracked without abuse. One guy (an IT tech) put it on his nightstand, woke up the next morning to a cracked screen.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/fdcb4fde98

Just a sampling of the many threads out there:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/773042?start=0&tstart=0

[URL]http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7817_102-562476/defective-gorilla-glas-on-droid-razr-maxx/
[/URL]

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
While the Maxx HD is somewhat appealing I think I will stick with my current Maxx. Not worth the loss I would take selling and cost of buying outright just to get a bigger screen and not much more.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
An unlocked edition sounds promising. Makes me hate'm less! :biggrin:

gotta look into how they handle the developer edition. Plus wasnt samsung suppose to have a d.e on vow I wonder what ever happened to that?:angry: (thankfully later users did not need it).

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Cracked screens come about with every new phone introduction, however when a phone is advertised as "scratch resistant", some choose to interpret that to mean "shatter-proof" when nothing could be farther from the truth. Also with the addition of Kevlar as a backing material, it gives some the impression that it's more resistant to dings such as those suffered when dropped. Again, nothing could be farther from the truth.

I've seen plenty of postings for ALL models of phones which have suffered screen cracking, and some will admit it was their fault, others won't and still others may not know it was their fault but simply "discover" the damage after last seeing it with no cracks. People carry these phones in their back pockets and sit on them, in their front pockets and then lean over to pick something up or to sit down, drop them inside their pocketbooks and then toss keys into the pocketbook on top, etc. Glass is glass, and glass being as hard as it is (although somewhat flexible), is also brittle. Any structure that is as dense and rigid as glass will shatter with the right amount of pressure, stress, shock, or flex.

What I am saying in a nutshell is, there isn't necessarily an inherent propensity toward cracking in the Droid RAZRs, but there may be an implied indestructibility that causes people to be less careful with them, which in turn results in the cracking. These phones are thinner than anything else out at the time of introduction and with that thinner form factor comes a greater potential to flex. The manufacturer installed an internal frame of stainless steel to minimize the flex, but due to the laminated design (where every layer is physically attached to the one above and below it with adhesive or hardware, a flex in the case translates into a flex of the glass. This is in contrast to other phones where the glass isn't actually part of the physical structure as it is in the RAZR and instead is simply held in place by the exterior surrounding frame, adhesive or some other method.

See below;

[video=youtube;7ridjtcza7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ridjtcza7E&feature=player_embedded[/video]
#Win

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Do a search on cracked screens associated with Razr's - much higher prevalence - especially on the Maxx - long thread on the Verizon forum with lots of people stating the screens cracked without abuse. One guy (an IT tech) put it on his nightstand, woke up the next morning to a cracked screen.

Defective gorilla glas on Droid Razr/Maxx? - CNET Cell phones Forums

Do a search on cracked screens for any phone model; you'll come up with similar results. Until you do a true double-blind study proving RAZRs crack more than other phones your claim has no merit. And by the way, I am not saying that there isn't the possibility that RAZRs get cracked screens more often than other phones. I just explained why that may be so. What I am saying is that if you take care of your phone, you shouldn't see a higher rate of cracking than with any other. I believe that 99% of the cracked screens on ALL phones comes from user abuse, whether intentional, obvious, accidental, or completely unknown.

People who have woken up with screens cracked in the morning that weren't cracked the night before aren't necessarily out of the woods for blame either. A drop, flex, ding, bump, any manner of mishandling the day before could have resulted in a tiny, potentially microscopic fissure at one side of the glass. Then they put the phone on charge for the night, the battery heats up, the screen heats unevenly (as glass does when heated from one point rather than across the entire surface), and the variation in expansion of the glass at one end versus another adds stress to the fissure, causing it to release the stress by cracking.

If you've ever handled a glass cutter (carbide steel wheel on a spindle), you would know that in order to cut glass, you first stress the surface by scoring a line across it, then you flex it at the line to create the "run", cracking the glass along the scored stress line. Take that same piece of glass and just stress the edge, then place it in an similar situation to the phone, where you heat one area and not another...and watch as the glass cracks wildly in no distinct or obvious direction, but just takes off across the glass sheet.

I am not defending Motorola here, I am trying to level the playing field a bit. Blaming a manufacturer for making what the public has been demanding - a thinner phone, and then having it suffer cracks due to putting it through the same types of stress as thicker and less flexible phones is unfair.

Even Glass can bend and flex, even though it's extremely hard. I am sure you consider a Golf Ball as a pretty hard object. Watch this video and you'll think differently.

[video=youtube;00I2uXDxbaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00I2uXDxbaE&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Last edited:

xrpb11a

Reaction score
Had droid x, upgrade available in may....waiting for droid maxx hd....left charger in hotel in Silver Legacy this weekend....decision time, wait for HD or go for S3, motorola made me sweat this long.....bought the S3 saturday, not looking back with 2 gigs ram and fabulous display/system....
too bad motorola, your delay tactics lost you a customer....:biggrin:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Defective gorilla glas on Droid Razr/Maxx? - CNET Cell phones Forums

I am not doubting you and the other ppl....but I havent used a case or any protection on any phone I have since I had the Droid 1 in 2010.

As banged up as the corners and sides of my RAZR looks from drops....that has to be a manufacturing defect for the ones that spontaneously broke. I even took the back off my RAZR a few times....still no cracked screen. That or maybe heat causing it?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
From what I just read in the UK razr m release.. I wonder if all the moto international models will sport Intel chips??

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am not doubting you and the other ppl....but I havent used a case or any protection on any phone I have since I had the Droid 1 in 2010.

As banged up as the corners and sides of my RAZR looks from drops....that has to be a manufacturing defect for the ones that spontaneously broke. I even took the back off my RAZR a few times....still no cracked screen. That or maybe heat causing it?

I'll agree with you on several points. I too have never used a case since my OG Droid either, and I've had the OGD, the D2, the RAZR, and now the RAZR MAXX. During that time my wife has had the OGD and now the RAZR. Neither of us have seen any signs of cracking of our screens (and I'll tell you she definitely bangs her's up, whereas I haven't a scratch). And just because the guy whose phone seeming cracked overnight for no reason is an "IT Tech", doesn't make his story any more believable or make him any more credible. I've seen enough "IT Techs" that didn't know a thing about engineering, so who's to say whether he is not simply too embarrassed and unwilling to admit that the "IT Tech" didn't actually break his own phone, or perhaps that he simply doesn't want to pay to replace it and so wants to claim a "warranty replacement"? I mean, people DO submit fraudulent warranty claims all the time - even "IT Techs".

https://www.box.net/shared/qbg6nko04g55vsnte5zq

acousticshade

Reaction score
Have to say that moto is late to the party. These are specs from...ahem...other phones last holiday season. Dissapointing that they are about 6-9 months behind other manufacturers. They will probably be on par with the new iPhone though.

As for the cracked screen issue, I do not doubt that there are more razr's with cracked screens for two reasons. 1) its the thinnest phone out there-that means it is much more flexible than other phones. A more flexible phone will lead to more cracked screens. 2) because of the gorilla glass & Kevlar branding, some people will be less careful with it, mistakenly thinking that it is tougher than other phones, when in actuality it is probably not as resiliant.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its like a gun or other "things".... i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Yeah im not a fan of what motorola is doing with these barely incremental upgrades. Seems like most companies are doing this now, small upgrades at full price.

mgrande

Reaction score
Yeah im not a fan of what motorola is doing with these barely incremental upgrades. Seems like most companies are doing this now, small upgrades at full price.

Ots a huge upgrade from my DROIDX

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2