1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Motorola Officially Confirms No More Webtop and Laptop Accessories

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It's now officially confirmed from Motorola. They will be killing their Webtop and laptop accessories programs. For those unfamiliar with Webtop, it was software that allows a Motorola smartphone to dock with a laptop accessory. It would then give you some computer functionality. Even though it got rave critical reviews because of the concept of it, when it was first released it was a bit buggy and slow. Additionally, AT&T and Motorola priced the phone and laptop dock at $500, which turned off most potential buyers. In the end it may have been a concept that was simply too far ahead of its time, and was poorly executed.

The Webtop product was one of Sanjay Jha's (Moto's former CEO) favorite projects, but their new CEO, Dennis Woodside decided to focus on a few core ideas like improved battery efficiency, faster Android updates, and LTE. Here's Moto's official statement,

How many of you guys will be sad to see it go?

Source: CNET
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I think its a great product but the price is just way too much. Also, the apps for phones aren't so full featured that the laptop experience is minimal. I'm sad to see it go as it i can be useful in some situations, but with how popular and powerful tablets have become, the webtop items are no longer needed. Tablets have cases with built in bluetooth keyboards and you can get them for less than just the webtop kit.
  3. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

I have both the 10" and 14" Lapdocks. I also enjoy plugging my phone via HDMI into TVs and using Webtop. If this functionality is not available in the future, I will switch to Samsung for my Android needs.
    2 people like this.
  4. swc2001

swc2001 Member

:mad: I think this is horrible. I believe that this was one of the items that really put Motorola a step ahead of its competition.
    Webtop is not just for the docks...you can use it on a smart TV as well.
    They really didnt advertise that the phones could do this enough either. I would bet you that 90% of Razr Owners dont even know that their phone can do Webtop. This is somthing that should have been shouted from the rooftops not bottled up on the forums and specific Verizon locations.
    They should at least offer the webtop on the phone... just let other manufactures come up with the Accesories.

If the next phones dont at very least have the Micro HDMI out.... I will be VERY UPSET!! That feature brings phones to the next level.
    It really needs to be advertised more as well!
  5. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE New Member

I think the "ahead of it's time" point of view is an accurate one. Great idea, but just too cost-prohibitive right now.

Personally, if I want to do stuff on my phone on a bigger screen, I'll hook up the HDMI cable and stream stuff if that's what I wanna do. Other than that, the Qwerty keyboard on my D4 is enough of a keyboard for me, and I can just do epic surfing on my HDTV if I wanted to. Thing is, I've a computer at home and at work at that point. :p
    1 person likes this.
  6. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

As little as they did to inform customers of its features, I'd say devices like the Asus Padphone will dominate this market. Moto needs to focus on streamlining what they have anyway, because part of their issues now stem from putting out far too much product at one time.
  7. jtpowell

jtpowell Member

It is not cost prohibitive from a manufacturing standpoint. They were greedy and chose a bad price point is closer to the truth. Also the first implementation vs how it is on ICS didn't help sell it. If you compare the first webtop to now you could easily say 1/2 baked. At least if they keep hdmi I'll hang around. If they lose hdmi ouput then cya.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jseah

jseah New Member

FWIW, you can find them on the "daily deal" sites selling for $50 (for the Atrix) and $60 (for the Bionic).
  9. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

yeah I didn't use webtop much but having HDMI out what a complete win... I would hook my bionic up to my TV to watch movies all the time... it worked well and was smaller and quicker then plugging in my laptop.

I think things like the asus padfone are absolutely wonderful and will definitely take over eventually... motorola is definitely making a bad choice this time around
  10. Domestic violence

Domestic violence Member

I bought lapdock 100 for $49 and sold it for $80. I went back and bought another to keep for myself (the last one around) I used it maybe, 4 times so I packed it back up and haven't decided if I should keep it or sell it.

I use my Kindle Fire for anything off of my phone and with wifi at work and foxfi working fine, I dont have much of a need for the lapdock.
  11. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

I got the dock for my Bionic 3 or 4 months ago when they were $50. For me the biggest problem was that there was no way to scroll - unless you hooked up an external mouse (which is a hassle if you're using the dock so you can travel light). Such a simple thing - enable scroll on the track pad - but it was a deal breaker for me. I kept wanting to touch the screen to scroll.

Oh well, I have an Asus Transformer, so the lapdock was just an inexpensive experiment (a failed one, for me). My dock hasn't seen the light of day for months now.
  12. mykl376

mykl376 Member

You can use the up/down arrows on the keyboard to scroll. I know it's not optimal, but it does get the job done, a little bit slower. I still catch myself trying to scroll with the side of the touchpad like I do on my actual laptop, so I do feel your frustration!
  13. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

To scroll hold down the left pad button and swipe in the direction you want to scroll.
  14. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Yeah they say theyre going to work on this, yet theyre putting out a Razr M, a Razr HD, a Razr HD MAXX. Oh wait, did you hear they might be working on a Razr Nexus? Moto is their own biggest competitor.
  15. marleyinoc

marleyinoc New Member

To be fair, those were probably already in the pipelines. I don't know how long it takes r & d wise, so I can't say that for sure, but I'd suspect it made more sense to follow through with these.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB
  16. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

i will be sad to see it go..it was one reason i stayed with MOTO
    2 people like this.
  17. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

for a company Motorola's size it really doesn't take that long, after all they simply copy whatever current device they have and then add one thing to it.

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.
  18. MightyT01

MightyT01 Member

I'm typing this now on my Lapdock 100. I use it frequently, now that I have Webtop 3.0 and ICS. Webtop 2.0 with Firefox was terrible, buggy, and slow as molasses.

Webtop 3.0 IS Android 4.0 ICS tablet version. It works great! I understand stopping the accessories as a cost issue, but not Webtop 3.0. Like I said it's straight up Android 4.0 tablet version. I use it on my Lapdock and connected to my HDTV with my Razr Maxx dock and a USB Logitech K400 wireless Keyboard which works right out of the box perfectly. I agree with previous posts that this should have been shouted out as a major enhancement when we went to ICS. The appearance and use of Android 4.0 ICS Tablet version on my HDTV looks better than if I just mirrored my phone on the TV. Motorola really came through on this upgrade to Webtop 3.0 and it was a much more elegant solution than the original Webtop 2.0.

The absolute versatility of this arrangement is fantastic. I can take my Droid Razr Maxx on the road and only bring the Lapdock and HDMI cables and I'm set for anything. I can sit on my couch and surf, check emails, text, read, type, etc while on the Lapdock at home or on the road.
    I'm sad to see this being discontinued. I'd love to see a tablet dock for our Droids, like the Padfone. Maybe a third party might try this. One of the best things about Moto is they have always had a tremendous selection of accessories unlike the Galaxy Nexus when it came out. Again, I think Moto was ahead of it's time. I'm glad I hung in there and got the ICS upgrade for my Maxx because I use my Lapdock now on a daily basis.

P.S. Just for grins I may try to see if my brother's SGS II can connect to the Lapdock via the MHL connector.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2 and my Lapdock 100.
Search tags for this page

motorola hdmi webtop

vzw phones that use motorola webtop laptop

webtop connector android