Motorola Now charging for Advanced Warranty Replacement

duxdad

Reaction score
Motorola is now charging $24.95 to do a advanced replacement. This is new as I had an advanced replacement before at no charge.
I have owned 8 or 9 Motorola phones over the years and this will be the last!!
Buyer beware!

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Advanced replacement?? As in, to swap a malfunctioning device for a replacement??? My question is..is it a brand new replacement, or a CLNR like you would get from vzw??

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Advanced Exchange program is: you fill out the repair request. They put a $500 hold on your credit card and send you a like new phone (refurbished.....like new). If it was a Moto Maker custom Moto X the refurb will have the same custom options. When the new phone arrives it has a box and prepaid label to ship the broken phone back. Then they lift the hold and charge your card for the repair. Normally $125 plus tax. The two way shipping was totally free for the customer up until a few days ago. Now we have to pay the $24.95 shipping fees.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Warranty replacements are still free. And they also offer an option for us to send our phones to them first, they fix it, charge the $125 and send a like new phone out to you. I don't think that option has the $24.95 fee. But you would be without a phone for a few days, waiting on that replacement. The fee is to have the advance exchange phone delivered first.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Ok..makes sense, thanx for the clarification

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not happy about the new fee either. I just used the Advance Exchange option on 8 June and did not have to pay the shipping fee.

But I wonder......does any other manufacturer offer a similar service? And what are their fees? Was Moto losing money on the expedited shipping fees? Are they the only company that offers a fast, cheap phone replacement program?

For me, personally, I would pay the $24.95 if I had to. Daughter dropped her 2 week old custom Moto X and broke the screen on 8 June. I requested the repair on 9 June and had a like new custom Moto X in my doorstep in 4 days, with all the same options as the original. I would pay the $24.95 shipping fee plus the $125.00 repair all over again. It is still cheaper and faster than any repair shop where I live. Just my opinion though, I can see why some customers are unhappy.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I'm not happy about the new fee either. I just used the Advance Exchange option on 8 June and did not have to pay the shipping fee.

But I wonder......does any other manufacturer offer a similar service? And what are their fees? Was Moto losing money on the expedited shipping fees? Are they the only company that offers a fast, cheap phone replacement program?

For me, personally, I would pay the $24.95 if I had to. Daughter dropped her 2 week old custom Moto X and broke the screen on 8 June. I requested the repair on 9 June and had a like new custom Moto X in my doorstep in 4 days, with all the same options as the original. I would pay the $24.95 shipping fee plus the $125.00 repair all over again. It is still cheaper and faster than any repair shop where I live. Just my opinion though, I can see why some customers are unhappy.

Apple charges $30+tax for a very similar service, so this isn't really a new concept. Moto probably was losing a lot of money paying for the shipping cost of those devices and it just caught up with them. I don't know who else does advanced replacement for free anymore.

OP
D

duxdad

Reaction score
Warranty replacements are still free. And they also offer an option for us to send our phones to them first, they fix it, charge the $125 and send a like new phone out to you. I don't think that option has the $24.95 fee. But you would be without a phone for a few days, waiting on that replacement. The fee is to have the advance exchange phone delivered first.

No quite correct, my Motomaker phone is a warranty claim and they try to charge me $24.95 for advanced.
I had a warranty claim in Feb. and the advanced replacement was free. Not now!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
No quite correct, my Motomaker phone is a warranty claim and they try to charge me $24.95 for advanced.
I had a warranty claim in Feb. and the advanced replacement was free. Not now!
Is there a fee if you do not request the advance exchange option!?

OP
D

duxdad

Reaction score
Is there a fee if you do not request the advance exchange option!?

No fee for standard replacement where Motorola sends replacement phone AFTER they receive your defective phone.