Motorola Mobility working on Tablet/TV Remote

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
photo-3_gallery_post_610x458.jpg

If this leaked image of a box is to be believed, Motorola Mobility is working on a tablet computer that also doubles as a TV controller. Codenamed Corvair, the 6-inch touch-screen tablet running Android 2.3 is currently in testing with cable companies, according to a report by The Verge. The box in the image calls it a "dedicated controller" and shows it wirelessly displaying the same user interface as the TV.

We don't know much specs-wise, but the box says the design is "optimized for low cost," so we wouldn't expect anything high-end inside. It also looks like it says something "OS" in the upper left, so it seems like a fairly custom version of Android. There's also IR control and RF4CE, which is a ZigBee-based RF control protocol, as well as a high-capacity 4,000mAH battery -- makes sense if you've got to keep this thing on a coffee table for days on end.

The device could be a big shot in the arm for the TV efforts of Google, which announced a $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility in August. While handset know-how and patents was the primary objective, the acquisition made Google one of the world's biggest set-top box makers and part of the cable industry's distribution chain. Jeff Greenhouse, a veteran digital strategist and marketer, wrote in a blog post in August that the acquisition held many opportunities for Google, including greater access to the TV ad market. "Set-top boxes offer Google an opportunity to offer new distribution for video content, enhanced integration with its other services (especially nascent Google+) and potentially expand its ad-serving and optimization empire by partnering more closely with cable companies."

Oddly, the device carries the same moniker as the 1960s Chevy that was targeted by Ralph Nader's "Unsafe At Any Speed."

SOURCE: Exclusive: Motorola Corvair Android-based TV controller leaks out | The Verge

Last edited by a moderator:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like my Harmony remote because it is still a remote. I can be laying down and feel the buttons I want to press and don't need to be looking at it to know what button to push. With tablet/phone remotes, you have to be looking at the device.

jayman350

Reaction score
and do you think they could have picked a worse name?

When I think of Corvair, I think of fiery death by exploding gas tanks, not a new type of remote control.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Since using Netflix/Hulu the only remote I use is my TVs for power/vol and the rest is PS3.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think all new phones should have an IR port so that any TV could be controlled with a phone. Instead of looking all around the place for a damn remote, my phone would be right there, already programmed through the app.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I think all new phones should have an IR port so that any TV could be controlled with a phone. Instead of looking all around the place for a damn remote, my phone would be right there, already programmed through the app.

With the way TVs are going you can achieve it with WiFi.

I believe that's how most TV/blu ray remotes work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

J

JohnDroid

and do you think they could have picked a worse name?

When I think of Corvair, I think of fiery death by exploding gas tanks, not a new type of remote control.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Despite the fact that I think the Corvair got a raw deal just because of Nader -- still, it has a stigma, could have chosen a better name.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Now that would make for a heck of a useful purpose for Siri and voice apps. Especially if it could be voice-activated, it could just lay on the coffee table and you'd shot "change the channel to 4"!