Motorola Launching Android Home Phone This Summer

KevinJ

Reaction score
See? It's inevitable.

Now it will just be days until it becomes "aware" of us.

I was really hoping for alien overlords, not robots. :(

blue

Reaction score
Home phone, is that like beta tapes or laser disks? I haven't owned one since 2002...lol

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, let's see... My land line home phone last dropped a call, I think, in 1957. The voice quality of my home phone is significantly better than my cell phone. The handset holds a charge for about four days. I can answer the phone in most rooms in the house without carrying a phone around.

Here's a phone that presumably can access both data and voice streams, stays charged in its cradle, and presumably uses the Verizon land line network, a network that charitably is somewhat more reliable than the VZW network.

Of course, you can't take the phone to the store. And you can't download games from the Market. So? There's a huge market for phones like this.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
Well, let's see... My land line home phone last dropped a call, I think, in 1957. The voice quality of my home phone is significantly better than my cell phone. The handset holds a charge for about four days. I can answer the phone in most rooms in the house without carrying a phone around.

Here's a phone that presumably can access both data and voice streams, stays charged in its cradle, and presumably uses the Verizon land line network, a network that charitably is somewhat more reliable than the VZW network.

Of course, you can't take the phone to the store. And you can't download games from the Market. So? There's a huge market for phones like this.

That huge landline market you speak of has been dropping 4-6 percent a year since 2000...and that drop per year is only increasing.

For people in remote areas that don't get reliable cell phone coverage, for power outages, for calling 911...yes, the home phone has it's uses. Unfortunately I've just named almost all of them, and this phone would also suck for those power outages...

In this economy, why would someone have two phone lines when one is clearly enough? What will this $150 phone do that a $20 cordless phone and my home computer (which almost everyone already has anyway) won't?

Releasing with an older operating system? Things move so fast these days, why would you NOT release on the latest and greatest operating system? Hooks up to wifi but no Skype or other IP calling? fail.

It's like they announced a new cassette player...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That huge landline market you speak of has been dropping 4-6 percent a year since 2000...and that drop per year is only increasing.

About 20% of the nation's households currently use cell phones exclusively. So at a rate of, say, five percent per year that means sometime in the next two decades the number of cell phone only households will surpass those with land lines.

From a marketing standpoint it's advisable not to assume that the entire nation is made up of single 20-somethings.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, since I got free VoIP with my Droid I've been debating getting an adapter for like $60 and busting a few of my cordless phones out of storage. Haven't had a home phone in about 7-8 years, and that's only because it came free with my rent.

Yeah, there probably is a serviceable market for this new contraption for at least a while. Personally, between the Droid, my laptop, and my playstation all hooked to WiFi I really have no need for any type of landline phone or what it might offer.

I think, ultimately, what will breathe some life back into those obsolete land lines is an affordable extender that will let you connect that old digital phone to your cell service. $60 you'd probably have a deal, but not at $200 or whatever it currently is. Whether we want to admit it or not, the call clarity on cells, especially smart phones, is still inferior to the old land line and the speakerphone on these handsets is also not adequate for business/important calls. Yeah, you have bluetooth but IMO a quality speakerphone is still preferable but there is very little value I would place on it.