Motorola Issues Statement Stating Why it Won't Upgrade Droid 3 and Droid X2 to ICS

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what everyone is all ticked off about. Well, I mean, I DO understand. But I don't understand why everyone thinks Verizon / Motorola owes them something. They're a business, trying to make a profit. To some level, yes, they need great customer service. But for the average consumer (remember, tech savvy forum members are probably a fairly small percentage of their user base) as long as they get bugfixes and their device lasts two years, they don't care if a different OS comes out and isn't released for their phone. I had an HTC Thunderbolt. It was taking so long to get ICS that I just went and got a Nexus on my upgrade instead of holding onto it. Then the SGIII comes out. And something better than that will come out too. Am I complaining? No. That's just the way it is. A new phone will come out 6 months after you upgrade and you will get device envy. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is. Never buy a device that you don't think you'd be happy with for two years. If you're able to upgrade off contract, great. If not, you won't have sour grapes.

It's no different than Apple leaving devices behind with newer versions of iOS. Wait, actually it is; Apple didn't leave devices behind that are capable of running the new OS. They may not have been able to cover everything, but they did what they could. Motorola is simply passing the buck the same way VZ did, and clearly their claim about ram is B.S.

As to profit, this does not help them out what-so-ever. Customers who have no idea what OS they're running may simply wonder why their friends' phones are running so much more smoothly, feel let down, and possibly find their dissatisfaction to be enough reason to move to another brand besides Moto. Heck, some of them may even migrate to another carrier; people have done so for far less. Conscious consumers like ourselves know Moto is just playing a game, and will definitely make ourselves heard by not supporting Moto anymore. When something stinks, it stinks, and this is garbage.

On the two years bit, my Droid 2 has made me happy for all of its time in my hands thanks to the great development that Moto is now allowing VZ to try so hard and castrate. No device is futureproof, but I shop until I'm satisfied and know what I'm getting. To each his or her own.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I think why the d3 and dx2 aren't getting official ics is because they weren't popular phones to begin with and/or didn't sell well. But this is why our community rules; we bring what the big companies don't. My r2d2 is running ics via cm9. Was my r2 ever going to get ics? No. So if you're comfortable just flash a rom.

dockatz

Reaction score
Motorola is Google now. You can't work any closer than that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moto Mobility has been losing money. They don't have the resources/cash flow to put into upgrading all their devices. Looks like the X2 and D3 missed their cut-off.

Hopefully Google gets them to focus on making (and supporting) a few good phones as opposed to marginally differentiated devices (vs. even other Moto phones). I mean, really, the number of variants from some of these OEM's is just stupid. Apple doesn't make phones for lower price points, they just let their older models fill those tiers. It's not rocket science.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again though, if there are Devs out there coding in their free time between classes, when they get off of work, etc, then the people getting paid to handle things full-time at Moto should be getting the job done. HTC is managing, Sony is managing, and I know they are bigger companies and more diverse, but there's no excuse if you want to be competitive. Failing your customers is not the way to increase return sales and loyalty.

skennelly

Reaction score
F U Motorola
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2211276

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Motorola's updates may not be perfect, but it would not be wise of them to release an update with this many bugs just so they can say "here you go, it's ICS". :

WHAT DOESN'T WORK?
- Main multimedia audio is not working
- Bluetooth probably has issues since the latest merge of kernel sources
- Battery seems to have some issues
- LED/Light operation will need to be looked at
- and in general many Alpha style bugs

It's nice to see some folks having fun with this, but seriously it would be a nightmare for Motorola and VZW if this mess was an OTA update.

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Motorola's updates may not be perfect, but it would not be wise of them to release an update with this many bugs just so they can say "here you go, it's ICS". :

WHAT DOESN'T WORK?
- Main multimedia audio is not working
- Bluetooth probably has issues since the latest merge of kernel sources
- Battery seems to have some issues
- LED/Light operation will need to be looked at
- and in general many Alpha style bugs

It's nice to see some folks having fun with this, but seriously it would be a nightmare for Motorola and VZW if this mess was an OTA update.

Motorola wouldn't have as much trouble. The devs are having to build drivers and codec from scratch, a leg up Moto would have. But the point is, now there is a viable way to run ICS and JB on deviced with 512MB RAM. They couldn't before because TI didn't support it, now they do. The bugs will get fixed in this build, will just take time.

So you can't compare what someone is working on on nights and free time to what Motorola could, and should do.

skennelly

Reaction score
Motorola wouldn't have as much trouble. The devs are having to build drivers and codec from scratch, a leg up Moto would have. But the point is, now there is a viable way to run ICS and JB on deviced with 512MB RAM. They couldn't before because TI didn't support it, now they do. The bugs will get fixed in this build, will just take time.

So you can't compare what someone is working on on nights and free time to what Motorola could, and should do.

True and a great point. However, you may be Motorola's developers too much credit. They had all those things when gb was released and most of those builds were pretty buggy. Lol :)