Motorola is Preparing to Reveal Slew of Smart Wearables (including a dog collar) for MWC 2016

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verve-smart-wearables-by-moto.png

While we have no idea if Motorola plans to reveal any smartphones or tablets during Mobile World Congress this year, they have clued us in on a few intriguing products they will be showing off. Motorola is planning to unveil a number of different smart-wearable devices, and one of them is actually a smart dog collar.

The smart dog collar is called the Verve Retrieve. It is IP67 water-resistant, and includes GPS and cellular connectivity, so you can always be aware of your dog's location. That's not all though, the Verve Retrieve can also create a “virtual fence” that alerts you if your pet moves outside of a safe zone that you can customize. What an incredible idea!

Beyond that nifty pet guardian device, Motorola will also show off the Verve Cam. This is an activity camera which can shoot up to 2.5K HD video at up to 30FPS. It also includes large variety of accessories for you to attach it in various ways. Motorola also provides easy video editing software and for sharing on social media, as well as the ability to setup a live broadcast.

Motorola also has a pair of wireless earbuds called the VerveRider and VerveLoop. We will feed you all the info we can find on them after the big event next week.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The dog collar would be nice to have when training a new dog on recall. Right now I use a really long leash and treats.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Cellular Connectivity". I can imagine the rant thread now. My dog got out the yard and it used my entire data allotment tracking it down. Curse you (fill in the carrier of choice) for doing away with unlimited. Then T-Mobile comes up with an add on with unlimited data to your dog collar to try to sway users away from AT&T
Ip67 should suffice unless we forget to take it off before throwing a fetch toy into the pond for them to retrieve. Then I'm not so sure.
I do like that idea a lot though. I'm also intrigued at any possibility of a good set of Bluetooth headphones. My Gear Circles are a hoot to use.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Cellular connectivity to me means I can pull an app on my phone and see where the GPS signal is coming from. If it comes down to losing an animal or paying for data overages, I'll pay the overages(If I ever leave UDP)

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cellular connectivity to me means I can pull an app on my phone and see where the GPS signal is coming from. If it comes down to losing an animal or paying for data overages, I'll pay the overages(If I ever leave UDP)

I believe the collar would have to have data to connect to the internet. Not sure of a way of sending GPS location without a data connection.

DougDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea of that collar a lot! I would be a buyer for that.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I believe the collar would have to have data to connect to the internet. Not sure of a way of sending GPS location without a data connection.
Yes a data connection but it doesn't use data like sending an email or checking facebook.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Verve cam should be a hit with the Periscopers. The Retrieve, I'm not really feeling. I mean if I let my dog out on the loose in the neighborhood I'd probably purchase it but then again I'd never do that.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely use some of these with my dog.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Retrieve, I'm not really feeling. I mean if I let my dog out on the loose in the neighborhood I'd probably purchase it but then again I'd never do that.

I think the point of the dog collar is for just in case your dog gets out of the backyard or if someone steals him/her. If your dog is a 100% house dog, except when he is with you, then the collar probably isn't that useful for you. For many dog owners, it's a great security device to make sure you never lose your loved one.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Verve cam should be a hit with the Periscopers. The Retrieve, I'm not really feeling. I mean if I let my dog out on the loose in the neighborhood I'd probably purchase it but then again I'd never do that.

This dude obviously does not have a dog.
;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I live down in hillbilly hell(people steal peoples pitbulls and Rottweiler's). And from what I've seen of the idiot dog thieves down here...if they steal a dog, the first thing to go is the collar if there is one..even having to say that in a public forum let's me know that we need to move..ugh.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I live down in hillbilly hell(people steal peoples pitbulls and Rottweiler's). And from what I've seen of the idiot dog thieves down here...if they steal a dog, the first thing to go is the collar if there is one..even having to say that in a public forum let's me know that we need to move..ugh.
A true hillbilly wouldn't think to remove the collar right away. It'd be "real purrty". Sounds like you live in a hillbilly wannabe town called redneckville

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><