Motorola has just posted their "official stance" on Custom ROMs for Milestone

m0zzie

Reaction score
What a joke! The first reply to it sums it up nicely. It's ridiculous that the Droid gets an unsigned bootloader whilst we're stuck with one we can't modify.

Custom ROMs | Facebook

DAGr8

Reaction score
you beat me to it .. actually being along time motofan , this is no surprise ...

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
Even Droid and Cliq have their signatures checked, only they were both bypassed (Droid by rooting using a hole in the recovery, Cliq by having a hole in RAMDLD allowing unsigned flashes therefore rooting it).

Milestone appears to have same structure as MotoMagX phones (which signature is bypassed). Unlike Droid or Cliq, which check for signature during the flashing process (Droid by flashing the Android method, Cliq both RSD Lite and Android method), Milestone checks the signature when booted (Droid also checks signature when booted, but not for recovery). However no bootloader flash is available and until that there is no way of getting rid of the signatures.

Don't forget that system is yaffs2, so if it has signature, it can be only checked once and that is right after it has been flashed.

Last edited:

Leftblank

Reaction score
So realistically; is there any chance we'll be able to install roms at some point? Perhaps the 2.1 update will come with some new holes?

DAGr8

Reaction score
So realistically; is there any chance we'll be able to install roms at some point? Perhaps the 2.1 update will come with some new holes?

Well , yea custom roms technicaly lready exist , one could easily make one , the problem is with 'developing new/diffrent things nto already implemented , since everything needs to eb signed (or almost) in our milestone , not likely that is gonna change , becaus eof a lack of better phone ( to Me stone > nexus) I am still staying with the stone , tbh motorola really fooled me , I taugth i was primarly buying a Android device , but in fact I bought a jail locked Android phone , even with root there is very little mods we can do to it , but that is not new to motorola , I am currently working on my own custom theme , so far I have modded the framework-res.apk , soon ( probably wait till 2.1 gets released) I will be making a SBF file with al my customisation in it ringtones wallpappers / thems must have apps etc bu unles some major break thru in avoidign the signature ( very unlikely )fingers crossed ' that is as far as custom roms will go ...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This sucks for you Milestone users :(

I really feel bad for you guys, honestly....cause this is a very fun thing to experiment with...