Motorola Goes Deep with Bizarre New Tech Ideas: Digital Tattoos and Smart Pills

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-tattoo.jpg

Obviously the hot news out of Motorola's stage appearance at the D11 Conference yesterday was the official announcement of the Moto X phone. However, there was more to their announcement than just that. In fact, if the other ideas presented there are any indication, then not only is Motorola really thinking "outside the box," they actually kicked the box down the street and it fell into a black hole. Moto shared two bizarre ideas that might seem very far ahead of their time.

The first tech showed off was a prototype wearable electronic tattoo. Motorola's SVP for advanced technology, Regina Dugan, wore one on her arm. Regina indicated the tattoo was designed to potentially replace normal authentication methods for logging on to your phone or tablet devices. She said that the tattoo would need to be changed once per week. While this idea does seem a bit out there, it still has some interesting potential applications and could be the progenitor of other forms of digital wearable technology.

The second tech concept shared at the conference took things a step further into weirdo-land. It's a pill developed by Proteus Digital Health that will turn your body into the authentication medium. We will just share a quote with the description and let it speak for itself,

That's right, Motorola hopes to someday bring us a pill that you can ingest that basically turns YOU into an authentication token. The idea is that the pill's electronics would be powered by the acid in your stomach and could create an 18-bit signal in your body.

According to Regina, the pill technology has been successfully tested and is even approved by the FDA. Just don't expect either the tattoo or pill to ship anytime soon, as they are both still “works in progress”.

While this last idea might seem a bit creepy to some, the concept is worth exploring. What's really intriguing about this is that it shows Motorola has been busy even though it looks like they have been taking it easy. It's exciting to see that Motorola is still at the head of the curve when it comes to technical innovations. These are good signs we will see Motorola rise to match and perhaps exceed its former glory. Regardless, if they can execute on some of these ideas in a timely manner, it will only spur competition and that will be great thing for everyone.

Source: AndroidAuthority

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That "tatoo" is actually a great idea. Get rid of the annoying unlocking your phone by having it "know" it's you working it (so some sort of sensor with a range of a few feet).

Although there might be better application than a patch to wear on your arm. A chip that goes on the belt or wallet, or shoe, would be ideal.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The pill seems very interesting...just too much of a chance of abuse...like tracking...so on and so forth

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Bar code on our foreheads would be cool

xsirxx

Reaction score
Doesnt a finger print represent a unique key already? maybe put a scanner right into the unlock mech since we use our thumbs to hold the phone anyways.

Edit: Spell

Last edited:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Pill/microchip, agree with 94lt, way to much potential for abuse. ACLU and others will never let this fly.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The pill seems very interesting...just too much of a chance of abuse...like tracking...so on and so forth

I'd wait, oh, about 20 years to be certain it doesn't cause cancer.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd wait, oh, about 20 years to be certain it doesn't cause cancer.

That too...I don't want cancer due to some electronic jelly bean...

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
How about a digital tattoo activated once you reported that your phone is stolen. Whoever holds it will get the tattoo and can be tracked down even without the phone ;)

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
srsly????

That's the problem with the written word sometimes... tougher to spot sarcasm. CK was making a joke. ;)

Also, I lol'd at your electronic jelly bean crack... hilarious! :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's the problem with the written word sometimes... tougher to spot sarcasm. CK was making a joke. ;)

Also, I lol'd at your electronic jelly bean crack... hilarious! :)

No I got the joke. That was my vague attempt at being funny as well...lol

I was thinking peanut from Jeff Dunham at that moment...lol