Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
If Im not mistaken, I think you can only do it once per current contract, meaning, you cant piggy back contracts, extending it to like 20 years you are committed to VZW lol

When I tried to get a Droid in December I was a year into my two year contract. Two VZW stores would absolutely not extend my contract or sell me the phone at anything but full price.

Thats strange, I guess it comes down to, who you talk to, when you talk to them, what store they are in, what their mood is, did they have their coffee yet, was their a fight at home, is the kid doing ok in school etc etc

And if everythings kosher, I guess they will do it :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At the risk of AOLishness, me too.

Really hope that the Droid Pro would be LTE capable, but I haven't been hearing one way or the other. I gather the device is still sort of vaporware anyway. But I'll be able to run a Froyo-based CyanogenMod on my droid fairly soon, I can easily use it for the next 6-9 months until the device I'm looking for is available.

I don't see the big thing with wanting it 4g/LTE is, seeing as verizon will not be rolling out 3g for phones until what late 2011? I know most will say well it will be there when they roll it out, but the vast majority if not most of us will have bought at least another phone by the time that 4g/LTE get rolled out in our areas.

"Verizon Wireless expects to commercially launch its LTE 4G network in up to 30 markets in 2010, covering 100 million people" (source, news.vzw.com)

You forgot the other part of that article

"Moments ago, during Verizon Wireless’ “700MHz LTE Device Specifications Webcast” VZW reaffirmed that their LTE rollout is on time and on schedule. Verizon plans to launch LTE in 25 to 30 markets by the end of this year, which Big Red states will cover roughly one-third of the U.S. population. The company also reiterated that by 2013 the LTE coverage map will meet, and in all likelihood surpass, the current 3G coverage map. Verizon also reviewed some of the tests they are putting the LTE standard though, some of which include SMS-over-LTE and CDMA-to-LTE handoffs. There was no mention of when LTE enabled handsets will start flowing into the marketplace, but having a capable, tested network in place for when that time does come sounds like a great idea to us."

The 4g/LTE was supposed to hit data devices first (air cards, mifis) before it hits phones, the early dates on their rollout were attributed to the other devices in their arsenal, not phones. I doubt that has changed.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If Im not mistaken, I think you can only do it once per current contract, meaning, you cant piggy back contracts, extending it to like 20 years you are committed to VZW lol

When I tried to get a Droid in December I was a year into my two year contract. Two VZW stores would absolutely not extend my contract or sell me the phone at anything but full price.

Thats strange, I guess it comes down to, who you talk to, when you talk to them, what store they are in, what their mood is, did they have their coffee yet, was their a fight at home, is the kid doing ok in school etc etc

Yes you are allowed to do what they call an early upgrade at 10 months into your contract and that will allow you to get the phone of your choice for the price you see them offering it to new 2-yr contract folks. If a store tells you that is not possible, then dial up verizon and have them tell the folks your talking to, stop jerking you around.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes you are allowed to do what they call an early upgrade at 10 months into your contract and that will allow you to get the phone of your choice for the price you see them offering it to new 2-yr contract folks. If a store tells you that is not possible, then dial up verizon and have them tell the folks your talking to, stop jerking you around.

Now is that only for the primary line? My wife is considering the primary line while I am listed as the secondary.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't see the big thing with wanting it 4g/LTE is, seeing as verizon will not be rolling out 3g for phones until what late 2011? I know most will say well it will be there when they roll it out, but the vast majority if not most of us will have bought at least another phone by the time that 4g/LTE get rolled out in our areas.

"Verizon Wireless expects to commercially launch its LTE 4G network in up to 30 markets in 2010, covering 100 million people" (source, news.vzw.com)

You forgot the other part of that article

"Moments ago, during Verizon Wireless’ “700MHz LTE Device Specifications Webcast” VZW reaffirmed that their LTE rollout is on time and on schedule. Verizon plans to launch LTE in 25 to 30 markets by the end of this year, which Big Red states will cover roughly one-third of the U.S. population. The company also reiterated that by 2013 the LTE coverage map will meet, and in all likelihood surpass, the current 3G coverage map. Verizon also reviewed some of the tests they are putting the LTE standard though, some of which include SMS-over-LTE and CDMA-to-LTE handoffs. There was no mention of when LTE enabled handsets will start flowing into the marketplace, but having a capable, tested network in place for when that time does come sounds like a great idea to us."

The 4g/LTE was supposed to hit data devices first (air cards, mifis) before it hits phones, the early dates on their rollout were attributed to the other devices in their arsenal, not phones. I doubt that has changed.

Fine - even it's Q2 to Q3 of 2011 I can still wait. The point is that phones capable of utilizing a faster network is of importance to some of us, it might not be to you. Whereas some of the features of these newer phones are not things I HAVE to have right away, but maybe for some other people they are enough of an incentive to upgrade.

danh63

Reaction score
So, does anyone know for sure when the x is coming to stores????

shobe

Reaction score
As much as I would love to get this phone, I'm still plenty happy with my current Moto-Droid. Hopefully, by the time I'm up for upgrade, they will have 4g / LTE phones available. I'd hate to buy a new phone now only to not have it be able to take advantage of a faster network later. Also, I would really prefer to have MOTO keep the higher end Droid phones stay "Google Experience", i.e., no Motoblur, Ninjablur, or any other shell on it. It seems that we get our OS upgrades faster than other phones because they don't have to monkey with packaging the upgrade to encompass the different, customized UI.

chameleocat

Reaction score
Droid x

Droid x to go on sale next week according to the verizon wireless customer service rep. I just spoke to as of price he couldn't tell me or the specific date they just got the information of it today!

kxs783kms

Reaction score
I wonder what's the deal with this phone. It seems as if accessories are starting to show up online, stating they will go onsale on June 22. Hummmmmmmm?????????