Motorola Droid Wireless-G alternative

hennessy01

Reaction score
I do not have a wireless g network available for me currently is there any wireless-n or Ethernet adapters I can use with my droid or will be any?

Thank you for any and all your help.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How would the adapter connect to the Droid? USB?

Which N router/AP do you have? Does it really not have support for G?

kennyg23

Reaction score
every n router also supports a/b/g. PDAnet is a tethering program which after rereading your post is not exactly what you are asking for.

OP
H

hennessy01

Reaction score
Ya the PDAnet isn't what I needed. Ya the adapter would connect via USB and the WAP that is in my house is only outputting N right now. I know it can do G but all my devices are N and they get much better performance when not coupled with G. That's why I asked for either of those 2 options.

pudah

Reaction score
Ya the PDAnet isn't what I needed. Ya the adapter would connect via USB and the WAP that is in my house is only outputting N right now. I know it can do G but all my devices are N and they get much better performance when not coupled with G. That's why I asked for either of those 2 options.

Im looking at this too. I got a new N router and ran my PS3 via eathernet and my printer via ethernet as well so that everything wireless can be N for the speed boost. The only left over is the Droid which works on b/g. I am trying to figure out a way to connect the Droid to the netork on N, but that wont happen. I'm wondering if there is some access point I can plug in to the router, or if perhaps I can plug my old G router in to the network as well to send out a G signal just for the Droid and the rest can be on the N router running N only. Will this mess up the signal of the N or creat conflicts, or is it possible? That I haven't figuered out yet.

Atook

Reaction score
Plugging in your old G router is probably the best idea. It shouldn't slow down your N connection at all. Depending on how the router is configured, you might not be able to see the Driod from your other machines on the N network though.

pudah

Reaction score
Plugging in your old G router is probably the best idea. It shouldn't slow down your N connection at all. Depending on how the router is configured, you might not be able to see the Driod from your other machines on the N network though.

Do I run a network cable out of the N router into the G router as the internet in or into one of the ethernet ports? Anything to set up on the G router specifically, or can I somehow split the signal coming out of the cable modem and have 1 cable going into the N router and 1 to the G and have them run as separate networks? This could be handy because I could then pair the Droid to the G network and keep my PS3 wired and on the G network as a backup. Im not sure how I'd split that though or if it would degrade the incoming signal/speed.

Atook

Reaction score
You should be able to run a cable from an ethernet port on your N router to the internet port on your G router. If you run into troubles, try running the cable to one of the other ethernet ports on the G router, which sometimes will solve DHCP issues.

My Belkin G router actually had a setting in the configuration that allows it to operate as an access point, which is how I run my network. The N router supplies internet to the G router/access point, and all my machines 'see' each other on the network.

pudah

Reaction score
You should be able to run a cable from an ethernet port on your N router to the internet port on your G router. If you run into troubles, try running the cable to one of the other ethernet ports on the G router, which sometimes will solve DHCP issues.

My Belkin G router actually had a setting in the configuration that allows it to operate as an access point, which is how I run my network. The N router supplies internet to the G router/access point, and all my machines 'see' each other on the network.

Yeah I just wouldnt want the N devices bouncing on to and off of the G router so I'd have to have different PWs or something. I could use a hub too I suppose.

Atook

Reaction score
Just name the SSID on the wireless routers differently and you'll be fine.

pudah

Reaction score
Well, I got my N network up and running in fixed N mode. Fast and strong... very happy. I added a G access point for the droid. No issues, works great. However, I tried to connect the Droid to the N router and it works just fine. I thought this wasn't possible. I have a laptop without an 802.11n adapter and it cant connect, so it must be that the Droid CAN connect to N.