Motorola Droid T2 Dual CPU Super Phone?!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I dont get what you mean by stretching a screen.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I mean unroll to expand the surface area.
Amazing: Sony's paper-thin 'rollable' flexible OLED display | ZDNet

I would guess software could control the screen to adapt to what is unrolled.
Yeah, I saw reports on that stuff like 10 years ago. Funny how it hasn't happened yet. :)

On an interesting side note, but still related to the thread, do you know what the screens on all our Droid phones is made of?

Gorilla Glass. Look it up. IIRC, it was invented by Corning in the 60's and took about 40 years to find a use for it.

From the artists conception it looks like it would use a LOT of GG. :D

Last edited:

DKunch

Reaction score
I dont get what you mean by stretching a screen.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I mean unroll to expand the surface area.
Amazing: Sony's paper-thin 'rollable' flexible OLED display | ZDNet

I would guess software could control the screen to adapt to what is unrolled.

Thats freaking awesome lol... man what else will they come up with... good lord can you imagine how phones or hell even TVs will be now after seeing that.... Hell people will be able to have a 60 in TV that they hang on the wall and pull down like a projector screen without having the projector... man i can only think and imagine how technology will be in the next 30-50 years

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw reports on that stuff like 10 years ago. Funny how it hasn't happened yet. :)

It is a working prototype, and a division of Philips had a working prototype way back in 2007 (defunct, ran out of money).

I'm hopeful the tech is a lot closer than 30-40 yrs. With the Gorilla glass, they didn't have a use for it when it was developed. There's clearly a use and huge potential demand for these flex/rollable screens.

The Phiips prototype was black&white and I think could display moving video, so that's a lot of progess in 3 years.

It doesn't even have to be rollable. I would think you could "unfold" 2 screens below the main one to form one big screen. Call it a "cell pad". Doesn't even seem like it would be that tough to do, you're talking the same tech on a laptop with the hinge to open/close the display.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
New tech = huge price. We won't see "Minority Report" tech for quite a while because demand can't justify the prices. What average guy would pay $600 for a phone and a 2 year contract just because the screen gets bigger. Not very many.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
New tech = huge price. We won't see "Minority Report" tech for quite a while because demand can't justify the prices. What average guy would pay $600 for a phone and a 2 year contract just because the screen gets bigger. Not very many.

The demand is definitely there, but sure they have a ways to go on cost-effective mass production. But don't forget people were paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars not too long ago for phones in the days before big incentive rebates.

Such a screen enables the merger of tablets and cell. IMO, the cell screen is still too small to comfortably enjoy extensive browsing, reading or watching a movie. But if you can triple the current screen real estate? Then I think you have something with true potential to be a pocket pc.

I mean, VZW could still give me my $360 discount or so and I'd dump in another $400 for for such a device, and I bet a good number of people would. That makes retail @ $1000. Doesn't seem like it should be that far off, just think popping off a couple of displays and wiring them to one Droid X. Take a look at the Nintendo 3DS....The tech is very close, maybe not rollable but a fold under/over type design is very achievable.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Nerds.

:)

10Char

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Like this Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense | Video on TED.com

Perhaps I should rephrase so no one gets confused, it's not that the tech isn't here it just isn't available because it's not profitable yet, their is no demand for the tech, or just simply the technical difficulties involved in placing it into the real world, and not at some technology show where a million dollars of research yield someone a working prototype.

Nerds.

10Char

Umm yea, like I said...

77Pat

Reaction score
Like this Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense | Video on TED.com

Perhaps I should rephrase so no one gets confused, it's not that the tech isn't here it just isn't available because it's not profitable yet, their is no demand for the tech, or just simply the technical difficulties involved in placing it into the real world, and not at some technology show where a million dollars of research yield someone a working prototype.

Nerds.

10Char

Umm yea, like I said...

I know, I just think it is cool to see the potential of future tech.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
HJ, it's not that there's no demand for it -- nobody's created the demand for it. As soon as someone figures out a way to do something with it that's "cool", people will buy it.

And they'll be nerds. At least at first. How many people bought and installed those b&w video phones that ran over the analog landlines? Now we have front-facing cameras on our cell phones. See what I'm saying? :)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
HJ, it's not that there's no demand for it -- nobody's created the demand for it. As soon as someone figures out a way to do something with it that's "cool", people will buy it.

Yea I know, chicken or the egg...but until someone can produce it at cost or profit we don't see the new tech for consumer use. So my point still stands, it's got to get cheap to produce before it's consumed. But it has to be demanded before it drives down cost via mass production. So people throw ideas around in the public to test for demand on potential new tech, if it's hot its hot and if its not its not.

A good example of this would be the PS3, AWESOME piece of hardware but it was simply too expensive to produce VS the demand for the system, and for a good while it faltered bad and has cost Sony billions because they sold the units under production cost. Only now 4 years later are they actually selling for a small profit and flourishing as a gaming system. I only bought mine a few months ago and I've wanted one since release. But did I buy it? No. This is what the entire industry tries NOT to do and for obvious reasons.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
And those are very good points.

Of course, your example is leaving out the fact that they were manufacturing a perfectly acceptable alternative, the PS2, for years while they were making the PS3, and in order to get the 3 profitable they had to pare it back to the bone for quite some time and STILL couldn't sell it profitably.

However, in regards to this phone, I'd have loved to have seen it with a touch-sensitive keyboard like the mockup was showing. :) Now THAT would have been an awesome proof-of-concept if nothing else. :D

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Agreed, Touch sensitive keys would be nice. But I've been a huge proponent of virtual slide out keyboards every since that image first appeared and I started thinking about it. The possibilities are endless if done correctly, meaning the potential for full customization of the key screen. Playing a game? The virtual keyboard turns into a virtual controller automatically. Want to change the colors? Sure. Like different fonts? Sure. Need more space between the keys for big fingers? Sure. Also think about the layers possible, want a key that would take you to commonly used phrases that you pick yourself? Done.

Because it's whatever YOU want it to be instead of some designer telling you what you'd like.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
lol.
apple_core.gif