Motorola Droid T2 Dual CPU Super Phone?!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
HJ, it's not that there's no demand for it -- nobody's created the demand for it. As soon as someone figures out a way to do something with it that's "cool", people will buy it.

The demand is there. You guys are thinking too literally.

Who wants a foldout screen to triple the size of their cell display? Probably a large % of people buying tablets, whether they know it yet or not. No one wants to carry around a brick, but just imagine connecting 3 IPhones - folds up into same length & width, and 3 times the depth which doesn't seem too bad.

Who wants an ultra-thin rollout display? Ummm, look no further than the market for thin plasma and lcd tv's (or projection onto silver screens, as mentioned a while back).

Now, in the case of the rollout displays I think there are some real drawbacks at this point with the cost of production and also picture quality (that sony demo I posted you can see lines, probably thin layers of transistors or whatever it is). Foldout displays, however, are a reality, but there may be some issues with battery life and some other things. Think how you can link together plasma/monitors to display one large picture across units. This seems very feasible.

Aram58

Reaction score
People were saying that having a keyboard like that would rape the battery (because it is essentially a second display). But could the keyboard use the same display technology as the kindle? That would save battery. Just an idea

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It wouldn't be a secondary display, really, just some heat-sensitive capacitors and a very low-level backlight LED. But having a Kindle-style display would be neat, provided it was capacitive-touch as well.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a secondary display, really, just some heat-sensitive capacitors and a very low-level backlight LED. But having a Kindle-style display would be neat, provided it was capacitive-touch as well.

He's referring to the completely virtual keyboard that I was talking about earlier, not the touch sensitive back-lit display.:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

He's referring to the completely virtual keyboard that I was talking about earlier, not the touch sensitive back-lit display.:)
My bad. I saw one of those actually made up for a PC. Yay lasers!

But I still want that slider keyboard.

Aram58

Reaction score
Any confirmation on weather or not
This will be on lte/4g?
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

My bad. I saw one of those actually made up for a PC. Yay lasers!

But I still want that slider keyboard.

lol, a slider IS what we're talking about. It's basically a dim lit secondary display that slides out from the main display for a fully virtual keyboard. Sorry we've confused you so. :)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Heh, evidently so. Either tech is something I'd look forward to in the next generation of phones though. I'd consider the touch sensitive keys to be evolutionary and the secondary display revolutionary though in therms of potential. :)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Well it seems like it will be Lte/Global and the code name or the name it will actually be called is Etna or the Droid Etna. It hasn't really been confirmed. They've been dropping hints over at Howardforums.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

bug_monster

Reaction score
Well it seems like it will be Lte/Global and the code name or the name it will actually be called is Etna or the Droid Etna. It hasn't really been confirmed. They've been dropping hints over at Howardforums.
It's the Olympus, AT&T is getting it in 3G guise, and shortly afterward Verizon gets it in 4G/LTE.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/92121-its-coming-motorola-olympus.html

Motorla Olympus is the name for the AT&T version. Motorola Etna is the name for the VZW version. It's unclear if these are internal code names, or final carrier marketing names (probably the former, as we're still a ways away from release of either).

Sniper_5

Reaction score
It's the Olympus, AT&T is getting it in 3G guise, and shortly afterward Verizon gets it in 4G/LTE.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/92121-its-coming-motorola-olympus.html

Motorla Olympus is the name for the AT&T version. Motorola Etna is the name for the VZW version. It's unclear if these are internal code names, or final carrier marketing names (probably the former, as we're still a ways away from release of either).

I certainly hope etna is not the final name. Grandma doesn't inspire confidence in an add claiming break neck speeds on a dual core device lol.

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz

sul7en

Reaction score

I certainly hope etna is not the final name. Grandma doesn't inspire confidence in an add claiming break neck speeds on a dual core device lol.

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz

That's Edna not Etna