Motorola Droid Maintenance Release Prelude to Android 2.1

tktouch12

Reaction score
thanks for the info. this is great.
sorry, but will it be pretty easy to update to this (then 2.1) on a rooted phone? (assuming the exploit isn't patched). or will we have to reset our phone or something annoying like that?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our sources have indicated Android 2.1 has passed all internal testing on the Droid and a target is to have all Droids updated before the end of the month.

So then, what are these sources?
It was Thomas J. Snodgrass who lives in Tulsa, OK, originally from Sun Valley, ID. His half brother's baby sister dated a VZW store tech who's Priest is a friend of a friend of the liason between Google Development and the VZW Development rep, however that friend's brother's Uncle was told confidentially not to give up Thomas' name to danDroid. Not sure what's going to happen next since I announced his source in here.

cuskit

Reaction score
droid-android21-update.jpg

We were expecting an update to happen this week beginning on January 22nd but folks its arriving early! Verizon is pushing out a 61.4 MB maintenance release today ahead of schedule that should get users excited for whats soon to come. We haven't seen reports of the version / build number change, although we believe there is still something going on behind the scenes and soon, that will update to 2.0.1 ESD59.

Our sources have indicated Android 2.1 has passed all internal testing on the Droid and a target is to have all Droids updated before the end of the month. This patch had added some minor fixes and preps the phone for a smooth Android 2.1 RELEASE. To be clear, the forthcoming immediate update is not 2.1, but a precursor to smooth the transition to 2.1 which will follow within the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned, more details to come!

Check out the discussion already in progress here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/16618-droid-update-morning.html
Checking my phone just now - I see my system is at 2.01, Build #ESD 56. You show ESD59 as this upcoming update. Have I missed a couple of steps? cuskit

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Checking my phone just now - I see my system is at 2.01, Build #ESD 56. You show ESD59 as this upcoming update. Have I missed a couple of steps? cuskit
negative sir....I am waiting to get additional details on that as well.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
droid-android21-update.jpg

We were expecting an update to happen this week beginning on January 22nd but folks its arriving early! Verizon is pushing out a 61.4 MB maintenance release today ahead of schedule that should get users excited for whats soon to come. We haven't seen reports of the version / build number change, although we believe there is still something going on behind the scenes and soon, that will update to 2.0.1 ESD59.

Our sources have indicated Android 2.1 has passed all internal testing on the Droid and a target is to have all Droids updated before the end of the month. This patch had added some minor fixes and preps the phone for a smooth Android 2.1 RELEASE. To be clear, the forthcoming immediate update is not 2.1, but a precursor to smooth the transition to 2.1 which will follow within the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned, more details to come!

Check out the discussion already in progress here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/16618-droid-update-morning.html

i was wondering the same thing cause the people that got this update reported there build asESD56 not ESD59

TreeFrog

Reaction score
It was Thomas J. Snodgrass who lives in Tulsa, OK, originally from Sun Valley, ID. His half brother's baby sister dated a VZW store tech who's Priest is a friend of a friend of the liason between Google Development and the VZW Development rep, however that friend's brother's Uncle was told confidentially not to give up Thomas' name to danDroid. Not sure what's going to happen next since I announced his source in here.
hehe...i knew that guy! =)

tktouch12

Reaction score
will it be possible to upgrade to this (or 2.1) on a rooted phone (assuming the root exploit isnt patched) (with sholes recovery installed)?? or will we have to wipe our phones to do that?

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
Sources?

Just out of curiosity your description mentions that your sources report that android 2.1 is ready for the droid. Who might these sources be? Is it a google representative a developer or a bunch of information gathered from other sites? I am purely curious because droid forums seems to mention sources a lot.

Thanks for the info though I just dont know if I can trust everything I read!

Android 2.1!!!!!!!!!!:greendroid:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
will it be possible to upgrade to this (or 2.1) on a rooted phone (assuming the root exploit isnt patched) (with sholes recovery installed)?? or will we have to wipe our phones to do that?

:icon_ banana:this is what i heard on a different 2.1 thread:

I got the notice for the update at about 03:00 this morning, saw that it was 2.01 when I already had that one since I bought the phone just before Xmas. After applying it, my superuser permissions app was gone, and SU access shut off. Reapplied the root package and all returned to normal.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
so will there be any problems updating on a rooted phone? Or will it update just like a stock unrooted droid?

We are three pages in and this question has been asked half a dozen times. Read the thread before you ask monotonous questions.

Hopefully we can get our hands on a direct download for the update again. :icon_ banana: