Motorola Droid "Kinzie" XT1585 for Verizon Benchmarked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-kinzie-benchmark.png

A device which is supposedly the XT1585 model Motorola Droid "Kinzie" (previously rumored here), just showed up on a GFXBenchmark. This device features the following specs (revealed by the benchmark):
  • 5.5-inch display with a 1440 x 2560 (QHD 2K) resolution and a pixel density of 534ppi
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 1.9GHz CPU and the Adreno 430 GPU
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage
  • 20MP rear camera
  • 5MP front camera
  • Android 5.1.1 pre-installed
The Kinzie is just one of two new Droids which have been rumored over the past several months. The other is the "Clark," which supposedly includes the Snapdragon 808 and a 5.2-inch QHD 2K display. The above benchmark is the first confirmation that the Kinzie exists. We will keep an eye out for any new info on either device, so continue to check back with us.

The source of this story didn't share what the device scored, and it looks like it has been removed from the GFXBenchmark site.

Source: Winfuture.de Translated

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure how I feel about these Droid branded phones returning. Imo, they served their purpose. Android has a much better chunk of the market share than it did in the first couple years of the Droid line. It's rare for me these days to hear someone call an android phone that ISN'T a Droid-branded device a Droid.

I think I'd prefer they just put out quality devices and let Moto call them whatever they want. I really don't see the point/benefit in resurrecting the Droid moniker. Especially with the issue the Droid Turbo seems to be having with updates. I have to wonder what kinda contract they signed to use the trademark for this long or if they've renewed it with LucasFilm.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So a year after the Turbo they're going to release a nearly identical phone with a bigger screen??? ok, slight bump in megapixels and slight bump in cpu that overheats.

Otherwise the smaller 5.2" is, almost literally, a "refresh" on the Turbo....sort of like what HTC did with the M9 vs. M8. OEM's are REALLY starting to test the limits of just how slow they can trickle out tech with minimal upgrades.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am totally guessing here (SWAG) but I bet one is the new 2015 Droid (insert name here) and the other will be the new 2015 Moto X. Personally, I am looking forward to both. If they put a big battery in the new Moto X, that might be the first phone that pulls me away from the Droid lineup.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This reminds me of the razr maxx then the maxx hd..very small jump in tech you'd think moto would've learned or vzw.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This reminds me of the razr maxx then the maxx hd..very small jump in tech you'd think moto would've learned or vzw.

Unless they are not both Droids? Remember last year when the new Droid rumors started and some sites thought there would be a normal size (5-ish inch) and then a Droid+ also, and that ended up being the new Nexus. It's hard to say what they are really up to, but I still think one is a Droid and the other is a Moto X. But I am wrong often with these guesses.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about these Droid branded phones returning. Imo, they served their purpose. Android has a much better chunk of the market share than it did in the first couple years of the Droid line. It's rare for me these days to hear someone call an android phone that ISN'T a Droid-branded device a Droid.

I think I'd prefer they just put out quality devices and let Moto call them whatever they want. I really don't see the point/benefit in resurrecting the Droid moniker. Especially with the issue the Droid Turbo seems to be having with updates. I have to wonder what kinda contract they signed to use the trademark for this long or if they've renewed it with LucasFilm.
Exactly, they are really gonna try to drag out this 'DROOOIIIDD' ad campaign smh. Its over guys, move to the next. I hate when companies drag stuff out and milk it. When it's over it's over, and "droid" is over lol. But I guess they'll wait til the numbers hit the bottom of the toilet before they even start brainstorming something new and updated...

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Marginally interesting, but until Motorola (Lenovo) comes out with a similar speced phone with a microSD, I'm buying LG phones.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Unless they are not both Droids? Remember last year when the new Droid rumors started and some sites thought there would be a normal size (5-ish inch) and then a Droid+ also, and that ended up being the new Nexus. It's hard to say what they are really up to, but I still think one is a Droid and the other is a Moto X. But I am wrong often with these guesses.
No...my point is..either of these is only a small step up from the turbo...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No...my point is..either of these is only a small step up from the turbo...

Agreed. But I think the phablet size was something missing from the Moto line-up last year, and the other is likely a decent bump of the Moto X.

Thought I've seen rumors of a "mini" type again. Not sure if there will be a Turbo/Maxx device this year or not.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thought I've seen rumors of a "mini" type again. Not sure if there will be a Turbo/Maxx device this year or not.

From what I have read (don't remember where now) Moto is still in contract with Verizon to continue making a Droid line, so I think we will see at least one new Droid model this year.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
From what I have read (don't remember where now) Moto is still in contract with Verizon to continue making a Droid line, so I think we will see at least one new Droid model this year.

But VZW has had little continuity with the Droid brand - mostly just a series of one-off devices under the Droid "umbrella".

The Droid "brand" doesn't mean much and has been all over the map in quality, specs and price. It's little more than a VZW exclusive line.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To a point, I agree. There were what, 4 Moto Droids? 2 Droid X's. How many variations on the MAXX did they end up with? Regular and HD?

I mean, I think they'be been smart enough to update a device in the line that did well, but a majority of them didn't do well enough. Maybe there's something to be said for it. I think we only had to many regular Moto droids because the physical keyboard really helped to facilitate the move from dumb phones to smart phones for a lot of people.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A lot of them haven't done well because a lot of them just haven't been that good, plus after the OG Verizon pretty much axed the marketing budget. Marketing is what really drives sales, and Apple and Sammie have the advantage of a massive global campaign budget.

After the OG, I really have no clue what VZW strategy has been with the Droid line. Seems like it could have or should have been an exclusive flagship device, and one where they push the envelope that makes people say "I have to be on VZW because I have to have that phone!". Instead, VZW pays George Lucas for the branding and they pay OEM's for exclusivity...just to roll out mostly forgettable Droid phones.