Motorola Droid gets Overclocked.

m21knight

Reaction score
The thing about overclocking the droid is that they actually over clocking it without messing with the voltage which is probably why there barely is any heat increase. As long you have SetCPU and have scale at 125 as the minimal that you will not see any damage.

+1. People think electronics are rather fragile items. They will shut off before damage occurs these days, and the odds of that are minute because the voltage is not increasing. Overclocking will show a slow linear temperature increase the higher the Mhz, overvolting will show an exponential increase of temperature.

I agree with you on the fact that electronics are not as sinsitive as people think, the problem with this statement is the biggest concern is not whether or not you cook your chip, it is what happenes to the battery when it overheats.

I also disagree whither this whole voltage not increasing BS. Anyone who understands even the most basic electronics (primarily ohms law...V=IR), will realize that voltage isn't what causes things to cook, its current. Every time the CPU does an operation the chip pulls a little bit of charge through it, and when you overclock, you increase the # times per second that this occurs. The result? More charge pumping through the Chip in the same amount of time. This current spike increases the CPU and battery operating temprature. This may not cause catostraphic failure, but will significantly reduce the life of your hardware, especially the battery.

Reaction score
The thing about overclocking the droid is that they actually over clocking it without messing with the voltage which is probably why there barely is any heat increase. As long you have SetCPU and have scale at 125 as the minimal that you will not see any damage.

+1. People think electronics are rather fragile items. They will shut off before damage occurs these days, and the odds of that are minute because the voltage is not increasing. Overclocking will show a slow linear temperature increase the higher the Mhz, overvolting will show an exponential increase of temperature.

I agree with you on the fact that electronics are not as sinsitive as people think, the problem with this statement is the biggest concern is not whether or not you cook your chip, it is what happenes to the battery when it overheats.

I also disagree whither this whole voltage not increasing BS. Anyone who understands even the most basic electronics (primarily ohms law...V=IR), will realize that voltage isn't what causes things to cook, its current. Every time the CPU does an operation the chip pulls a little bit of charge through it, and when you overclock, you increase the # times per second that this occurs. The result? More charge pumping through the Chip in the same amount of time. This current spike increases the CPU and battery operating temprature. This may not cause catostraphic failure, but will significantly reduce the life of your hardware, especially the battery.

That is not how CPUs work. CPUs can work just fine up to a certain MHz given certain conditions. The main condition that increases temp is voltage.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

That is not how CPUs work. CPUs can work just fine up to a certain MHz given certain conditions. The main condition that increases temp is voltage.

Quoted for truth

yes overclocking regardless of voltage increase or not will increase heat from the higher loads it can run and it "might" decrease the life of your device depending on what how aggressively you overclock and how you use apps like setcpu to underclock when you don't need the full speed. This results in better performance but cooler temps and better battery at the same time depending on setup.

But it's heat that kills the chip. At least from personal experience.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
also of note is the fact that noone really knows what the cpu temp is unless someone has opened up their droid and put a sensor probe on the actual chip. All the temp sensors are reading the battery afaik. For most people concerned with overclocking battery temp seems to be the biggest issue anyways.

m21knight

Reaction score

Uh...not even sure what you are trying to say. Maybe I should take over. You generally can overclock systems in two ways: 1. Modify the oscillator which is what sets your clock speed (generally a hardware modification) or 2. upscale/downscale (Software configuration). The way upscaling works is it "tells" the systme to perform x numer of operations per cycle or x number of cycles per operation. The operations usually take fractions of a cycle, so there is genrally lots of "dead" time where your CPU is doing nothing. This is why people find it terribly usefull to overclock their systems because theoretically they can handle it. All types of processors in current technology are essientially a wafer of silicon with millions of transistors printed on them. Any time one of these transistors cycles, there is a voltage drop across them. Where did that energy go you ask? It is converted into heat. You increase the number of times that happes every second, you get increased heat.

sweetdroid

Reaction score
If v=I xR then v/R the more voltage u have the more current so voltage does inturn cook chips. I know what ur saying just thought I would add some sarcasm!

sweetdroid

Reaction score
But in a chip voltage is what variers and current is rather fixed so overvoltages causes the heat issues along with fast switching as the person before me stated

Technoman

Reaction score
I am not going to quote anyone on this for several reasons. There are pieces and parts of each of the above posts that are right in their own way.

You can't change OHM's Law. Heat is created by resistance, and the amount of voltage applied to that resistance. When over-clocking, you are not varying resistance, voltage, or current. You are varying CYCLE's. Therefore you end up with more heat because the CYCLE time does not allow for the device to cool as it did prior to the over-clocking.

It is nothing more than that. If you had modified the voltage applied, resistance (load), you then would in result modify the current being drawn.

victorythagr8

Reaction score
also of note is the fact that noone really knows what the cpu temp is unless someone has opened up their droid and put a sensor probe on the actual chip. All the temp sensors are reading the battery afaik. For most people concerned with overclocking battery temp seems to be the biggest issue anyways.

well there is an app that actually reads the CPU temp sensor called Temp monitor but it only works on the newer Tazkernal overclock. And i notice there is no major temperature difference.

spillner

Reaction score
I used to have my phone OC to 900mhz, I saw no diiference in performance and actually caused some performance issues. Plus my phone ran real hot and the battery life decreased, ended up going back to stock where it was more stable.

victorythagr8

Reaction score
I used to have my phone OC to 900mhz, I saw no diiference in performance and actually caused some performance issues. Plus my phone ran real hot and the battery life decreased, ended up going back to stock where it was more stable.

Did you used sholes rom because sholes rom has problem with other developers kernel or have set CPU set currectly.

the newer OC kernels are far more stable than before and works alot better with Bugless Beast rom

jtbnet

Reaction score
On Tuesday I jumped from the Taz OC 1.1GHZ to 1.3GHZ kernel running SetCPU min 250MHZ/ max 1.3 GHZ w/ondemand settings... have TempMonitor watch both Battery and on CPU temps and see CPU temp idle ~70F to Max 130F when running benchmarks... Seems WELL within chip temp specs... I run a pretty stock setup other than OC kernel, no ROM/Theme installs and use my Cell as primary work phone and secondary work email so pretty heavily... Battery usage hasn't really seemed to change noticebly.

NOTE: you mileage Will vary.... I'd estimate half the folks trying overclocking have been stable over 950MHZ... much smaller percentage at 1.3GHZ so I was one of the lucky one...

CyberDroid

Reaction score
On Tuesday I jumped from the Taz OC 1.1GHZ to 1.3GHZ kernel running SetCPU min 250MHZ/ max 1.3 GHZ w/ondemand settings... have TempMonitor watch both Battery and on CPU temps and see CPU temp idle ~70F to Max 130F when running benchmarks... Seems WELL within chip temp specs... I run a pretty stock setup other than OC kernel, no ROM/Theme installs and use my Cell as primary work phone and secondary work email so pretty heavily... Battery usage hasn't really seemed to change noticebly.

NOTE: you mileage Will vary.... I'd estimate half the folks trying overclocking have been stable over 950MHZ... much smaller percentage at 1.3GHZ so I was one of the lucky one...

Agreed 100% with what you're saying. I'm curently pushing the limits and testing stable @ 1.5 GHz for the last 48Hrs. Core temp is within Specs and Bugless Beast rom is running smooth as silk.

Battery life has not drastically decreased as one would have expected, keeing the batt usage outlined to the daily routine of normal use and limiting the number of APN connections with another program to 3m connects every 15m unless screen is active. I have actually noticed a gain even with the OC.