Motorola Droid gets Overclocked.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
motorola-droid-overclocked.jpg

The gurus at AllDroid.org have done it again. This time pushing the speed of the Motorola Droid to the limits of 1.1 GHz. The Droid stock runs at 600 Mhz so running nearly twice the speed probably is a Droid health hazard after a period of time. However running the Droid at 800Mhz proved to be quite stable and still provides roughly a 33% boost in performance.

Follow the ongoing discussion here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/18166-super-overclocking-droid-alldroid.html

justicw

Reaction score
I would LOVE to be able to OC my phone but I don't want to root yet. Is it possable to OC without root? I doubt it but hey it never hurts to ask lol

LrdElderon

Reaction score
sorry didn't quite quote that last post quite right i think :icon_eek:

IEatCake

Reaction score
and what was the power deficit? 33% increase in performance and what? 40-50% decrease in battery life? anyone keeping a log of normal battery usage times with different clock speeds?.

+1 while getting a faster clock is a "neat trick" are the any measurements for SAR output levels, heat levels, and power usage?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problems with heat so far (according to the people who did this over at alldroid). With SetCPU profiles on, battery drain really isn't an issue for me at all. If I am loosing any battery life, it is no where near 40-50%...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problems with heat so far (according to the people who did this over at alldroid). With SetCPU profiles on, battery drain really isn't an issue for me at all. If I am loosing any battery life, it is no where near 40-50%...

What are you clocked at?

Spydaz

Reaction score
OK so.. If i Root right now what do i have to download for the OC? Is it the app in the App Store SetCPU?? Is this the right one?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK so.. If i Root right now what do i have to download for the OC? Is it the app in the App Store SetCPU?? Is this the right one?

You have to flash a new kernel. SetCPU just allows you to control the speed on the cpu.

hacku

Reaction score
The Droid stock runs at 600 Mhz so running nearly twice the speed probably is a Droid health hazard after a period of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I know the Droid comes with a 600Mhz processor, but I thought that in stock form it's actually underclocked and runs at 550Mhz.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid stock runs at 600 Mhz so running nearly twice the speed probably is a Droid health hazard after a period of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I know the Droid comes with a 600Mhz processor, but I thought that in stock form it's actually underclocked and runs at 550Mhz.

It is under-clocked (to 550Mhz) by default. The consensus is this was done purely for battery life not for concern over temp or other factors. But that is just the consensus. Moto admitted this but didn't say for sure whether or not their were other concerns the possibly influenced their decision. It's likely going to be a craps shoot like on PCs (i.e. some people can overclock the HE!! out of their PCs with NO issue(s) and others try a simple even a simple OC and fry their chips).

Should be noted for noobs that modern processors are not 'individually' tested or specked. This means some chips can handle OC very easily (and be highly OC'd) while other will not. So if you decide to OC be sure to go in small increments and test the device thoroughly and not jump straight to a high number).