Motorola Droid G1 Problems updating SU and flashing Clockworkmod recover... help!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by donnie5336, Sep 20, 2011.

1. donnie5336

donnie5336 New Member

Ok, so I've got the OG Droid and I rooted a while back using Soup or Root v2.06 Beta and everything worked smoothly. I never installed clockworkmod recovery then or flashed any roms, just rooted at the time to be able to use some apps that required root. Well, I recently noticed that some of these apps weren't working correctly, so I went into my Superuser app and clicked to check for updates on the binary (currently is v2.3.1-ef). A popup would come up that said "checking..." then would disappear and nothing would happen. So i went to the marketplace and updated the Superuser app... (ChainsDD now v2.3.6.3). So then I again tried clicking to update the binary.

Now it comes up with a pop-up that says "New version of su - There is a new version of the su binary available. Press OK to attempt to install it automatically." OK so I click "ok" and it says: "An error occurred and su was not updated. A zip file (su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip) has been placed on your sdcard, please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update your su binary.

Well reboot into recovery mode and it goes into "Android system recovery <3e>" with these options
    -reboot system now
    -apply sdcard:update.zip
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -wibe baseband data

Ok so I tried apply sdcard:update.zip which I know is not flashing the su zip file on my SD card, and obviously that doesnt work. So, reboot and download clockworkmod Rom Manager. When I click on "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery" I get confirm phone model (Motorola Droid - CDMA), then it downloads a file and near the end of download I get the message "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" So, obviously my Superuser is not working at all. So, I need clockworkmod recovery to flash my new su binary, but i need superuser working to flash clockworkmod recovery. So i am stuck. Where do i go now?
  2. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

You're gonna have to sbf SPRecovery or RZRecovery. It's actually quite simple to do, if I had the time I would find you the links, maybe later today.
  3. donnie5336

donnie5336 New Member

If it matters, I am running 2.2.2 and build FRG83G. I remember when I rooted originally (using Soup or Root b2.06 Beta) my build was FRG83D. Did my phone get an update that I didnt know about that made me lose root?
  4. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

That's quite possible. Reroot it, it'll reinstall superuser
  5. donnie5336

donnie5336 New Member

Well i still have superusuer icon and app in my app drawer. I can open it but like i said when i try to update the binary it tells me the zip file has been saved to my sd card and I'll have to flash it. So does this mean I'm still rooted? Halfway rooted? Not rooted at all? I went to SU app in app manager and removed all upadates, that didnt work. So i re-installed SU updates and got it back to where I am now still. So do i just connect back to my PC and run the Soup or Root again just like it is now? or do i have to unroot first somehow?
  6. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

Updates break the root but it never removes the SU app. Just try rerooting.
  7. donnie5336

donnie5336 New Member

For some reason I can't get the motorola drivers update thing to work on this PC... should it work if i use another root like super1click or something? or will i mess something up having rooted one way then trying another?
  8. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

You should be able to use superoneclick, try version 1.5 or earlier and use rageagainstthecage method.
  9. donnie5336

donnie5336 New Member

Im rooted again!!! Thanks!!!!
    (Had to use 1.7 by the way...)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  10. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

Happy to help. That what these forums are for.
Search tags for this page

android system recovery 3e su update rror su

clockworkmod update for g1

flashing su.com

motorola g1 recovery mode

superuser v2.3.6.3 binary