Motorola Droid freezes after some calls

norangelica

Reaction score
I bought my MD just a month ago and this had happened to me a couple of times. I still don't know if it's happening only to me and I should take my mobile to the service or is a problem all MD have.
You must have noticed that the screen turns black as soon as you take the mobile to your ear when you called someone and you need to talk right. If you take it back far from your ear the screen turns to the call options where you can see the speaker option, the hung up bottom, etc... Well, sometimes, when I finish a call the screen stays black, the four bottoms below stay lit and theres no way to go back to the home page or turn it of or anything. I have to take out the battery to completely re-start it.
Has it happened to you, is this normal, I guess not but I mean, should I worry and take it to the technical service or is something MD has to fix with a OS update?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought my MD just a month ago and this had happened to me a couple of times. I still don't know if it's happening only to me and I should take my mobile to the service or is a problem all MD have.
You must have noticed that the screen turns black as soon as you take the mobile to your ear when you called someone and you need to talk right. If you take it back far from your ear the screen turns to the call options where you can see the speaker option, the hung up bottom, etc... Well, sometimes, when I finish a call the screen stays black, the four bottoms below stay lit and theres no way to go back to the home page or turn it of or anything. I have to take out the battery to completely re-start it.
Has it happened to you, is this normal, I guess not but I mean, should I worry and take it to the technical service or is something MD has to fix with a OS update?

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Once you pull the Droid back from your face within a couple of seconds it should be lit again. Battery pulling is not normal for a Droid.

Close to where the ear piece is at there is a sensor up there. Make sure it cleaned out used some canned air. I've heard people with long hair frequently have this issue, though I don't understand what difference that should make if you're holding it in front of you.

LadyLailoken

Reaction score
you are not alone. the same thing happens to me with every call, but I dont have to pull the battery. this behavior occurs even if I dont have my Droid up to my ear, like when I call into voice mail. when the call begins, the screen goes blank, sometimes shaking it will light it back up for a moment, but not long enough to input my password. I've also found that some action on my part, which I haven't figured out, will dial voice mail while I'm in a call. frustrating, needless to say. any ideas would be appreciated.

Juissi

Reaction score
I have used my Milestone for a month now and I have the exact same problem.
I've noticed that this phone is a great device but quite a poor phone. Every problem that I've had is related to phone function.

1) About once every two days (I don't get that many calls every day) I get the original posters problem. When I make a call the screen turns black right away even if I have the phone in my hand. The distance sensor has no function and the only way to get the screen work again is to open the keyboard. After I end the phone call the screen stays black for few minutes and even opening the keyboard doesn't help. If I get a phone call during this time the phone rings but there is no way of answering the call since the screen stays dead. Can you imagine how annoying that is?
The screen will come to alive after like 5 minutes or so but that is a long time.

2) My second problem with the phone is that the call quality is sometimes really bad. I can hear the other person just fine and nothing is wrong with that but the person who I'm talking to doesn't hear me at all or they can hear me just barely and are always asking me to speak up or something. It doesn't matter I can shout to the microfone and they still can't hear me properly. This doesn't happen all the just sometimes but frequent enough to be really annoying.

I'm not sure but these two issues might be related. I'll try to find out.

3) This problem is not related to phone functions but built quality. I have to say that the built quality seems to be lacking a bit. Annoyingly my phone screen has dust under the screen at the top left corner. You know small dust particles spread around so that you can see it clearly against the screen. Can't they make the screen airtight?!

PS. I know this is a bit old thread but I found this with Google so other people might find it too.

thatgypsy

Reaction score
I was having alot of trouble with my sensor when I had the hard shell case on, it covered the sensor. Also, my screen protector had statrted bending back from the top left corner and interfering with the sensor. Hope this helps!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
2) My second problem with the phone is that the call quality is sometimes really bad. I can hear the other person just fine and nothing is wrong with that but the person who I'm talking to doesn't hear me at all or they can hear me just barely and are always asking me to speak up or something. It doesn't matter I can shout to the microfone and they still can't hear me properly. This doesn't happen all the just sometimes but frequent enough to be really annoying.
i dont know what your other issues are but i can say that for number 2 you have options. The First thing id do is Go to you droid, click "Phone" Dial ##7764726. This is a "Secret" menu (not so secret). It wont dial anything, but instead its going to ask you for a password. Type "000000" (6- 0's) scroll down to "04 Vocode" -> then select "EVRC-B". go back to home screen then phone will reboot, and then your phones Call quality should be better. :) next after that id update your phone by again going to the "phone" app and dialing "*228" which youll get the programing machine, Choose Option 2, Update roaming. This is like an updated list of towers, its good to run it every once and a while. If you do both things then id expect to gain Quality. :)