Motorola Droid email issues

allenbirnbach

Reaction score
I've been having an ongoing problem where my Droid stops capturing email. I called Verizon, and was put in touch with Motorola. Their solution was to shut down the phone, pull the battery, wait 30 seconds, reinstall the battery and relaunch the phone. This seems to clear up whatever the snag is, and messages flow back in again.

However, this is happening, and I'm not exaggerating at least once a day. Very frustrating because I never know when there is just a lapse in new messages, or the phone has stopped pulling in new messages.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Can't decide if this is a general Droid issue, or specific to my unit and I need to have it replaced.

tt8698

Reaction score
i have the same issue where i will not receive any e-mails at all, even if i go into the app and hard refresh it
im using the gmail app and the stock email (for hotmail account)

the only way to recieve my emails is to restart the phone which is very annoying

any ideas

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Sounds like the guy that helped you doesn't realize this isn't a Blackberry. Sure that solution may work, but I'm sure that there are more logical solutions to this issue. I've never had any reason to pull the battery out of my phone, other than to get to the SD card, which I had no reason to remove, but felt like doing so just to play with everything. :)

Check over your sync settings and do a manual sync, not a refresh, from the Accounts & sync menu. You might also try killing the app if you happen to already have a task killer, and restart it. If you don't you could also try going to Settings>Applications>Running services and if you see SyncManager running, touch it, kill it, and reopen the Email app so that it restarts itself. If none of these options work it sounds more like a software defect than some coincidental network issue. I have no idea about Blackberry/RIM but I refuse to believe Google would ever allow a mobile product to be branded with their name that required such a primitive means of troubleshooting.

trowa

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Sometimes also when I delete an e-mail from my POP3 account it refreshes like 15 minutes later. I made sure that I have the option turned on to delete from the server. One e-mail I did this 3 times and it kept coming back in my inbox. The only way to remove it was to load outlook on my computer and download it off the server. =/

OP
A

allenbirnbach

Reaction score
My email server is everyone.net. Although gmail is on this phone, I do not use it. I have had the same experience with deleted mail coming back, but my real concern is the emails not coming in.

I suppose the next time this problem occurs I can try the task killer approach. Very disappointing to have such a sophisticated phone and have such a basic issue. The whole reason for going to a smartphone was for email access. Arghh.

clinhart

Reaction score
Droid Error "Email (processcom.android.email) has stopped"

I have trouble with both imap and pop email messages coming in from my personal email through GoDaddy. I have talked to them - it is not any server settings or issues. My gmail is 90% of the time pretty instantaneous. But my personal emails either never come in - even if I manually refresh them - or if I turn off the phone & turn back on, then may get a few come in. But I get several times a day - most likely when it is trying to get the emails - the following error:
Sorry! The application Email (processcom.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force Close]
This appears to me to be a software issue?? Anybody know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks for any help.

OP
A

allenbirnbach

Reaction score
I'm thinking to have my personal email forwarded to gmail to get around some of these issues. For those using gmail, any feedback on how gmail works, particularly with dealing with spam? What about attachments? Is there a limit to the size inbound and outbound?

clinhart

Reaction score
Forwarding to Gmail

Because I am not getting my emails, I have them forwarded to my gmail
account. They arrive pretty fast. I do not know the limitations gmail has
which has not been an issue so far for me. I believe no problems in size.
However, it is very frustrating to have to forward just to get my emails -
I have multiple email addresses for both personal and work. Would love
to keep them separate. Hoping this can be corrected.

Threepio

Reaction score
I have the same problems i have to refresh each of my accounts to get my emails. But sometimes they will free flow into my account.

but most of the time i have to refresh the accounts to get the email. kind of annoying after coming from a blackberry that always got my emails instantaneously.

dosorio911

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Thats why Im here to check on the issue, but I see Im not the only one with this problem. I agree with some of you. Seems like such a complicated gmail issue with what's supposed to be such a smart phone. Very disappointed right now.

RoNYC

Reaction score
Same here! There would be days where the email notification would go crazy and days, like yesterday, that I have to manually refresh to get an email.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have trouble with both imap and pop email messages coming in from my personal email through GoDaddy. I have talked to them - it is not any server settings or issues. My gmail is 90% of the time pretty instantaneous. But my personal emails either never come in - even if I manually refresh them - or if I turn off the phone & turn back on, then may get a few come in. But I get several times a day - most likely when it is trying to get the emails - the following error:
Sorry! The application Email (processcom.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force Close]
This appears to me to be a software issue?? Anybody know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks for any help.

How did you set up your GoDaddy email? Here's the link that's worked for others.

Using an Android Mobile Device with Your Email - GoDaddy Help Center, Search the GoDaddy Knowledge Base

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have the same issue where i will not receive any e-mails at all, even if i go into the app and hard refresh it
im using the gmail app and the stock email (for hotmail account)

the only way to recieve my emails is to restart the phone which is very annoying

any ideas

And how did you set up the Hotmail account? Here are instructions that seem to work - at least for me and everyone I've passed them on to.

EMAIL SETUP for POP3 ACCOUNTS: Hotmail POP3 (This also works for WINDOWS LIVE email setup) (non-root solution)

1. From the home screen, pull up the applications tab (at the bottom of the screen)
2. Touch Mail
3. Touch Manual Setup at the bottom left corner
4. In the incoming server settings, enter the details as follows:
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete hotmail address)
Password: enter your hotmail password
POP3 server: pop3.live.com
Port: 995
Security type: SSL
5. Touch Next to continue to SMTP Server Settings and enter the details as follows:
SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Port: 587
Security type: TLS (and check mark “Require sign-in”)
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete hotmail address again)
Password: enter your hotmail password again
6. Touch Next
7. Fill out your personal information (Name etc.)
(If you are having problems be sure that WiFi is turned OFF then try again)