Motorola Droid dominating the Android world

J

JohnDroid

It looks like some new statistics have come out that confirm what we at the DroidForums.net site have already known. The Motorola Droid is dominating the Android world.

GigaOm does a better job of breaking it down, but here's the meat and potatoes.

• Droid application downloads increased by 93 percent over previous Fridays in December.
  • Droid accounted for 48 percent of download volume across the leading Android handsets (Droid, myTouch 3G, G1 and HTC Hero).

Initially the Droid was expected to sell 600,000 units in the 4th Quarter, but that figure has since been revised to 1,000,000 units. It is my belief that Motorola will surpass that total as well.

The question now remains, who will be the next "serious" contender to challenge the Droid for Android market share (and in turn, steal market share from other handsets)?

Our guess is that the next cell to move a significant amount of units will be the Nexus One, Google's first branded handset sold "exclusively" by them. They have full creative control over the phone and process and will utilize T-Mobile as the network carrier.

We do not believe that the Nexus One will pose a significant threat to the Droid for a number of reasons.

• The T-Mobile Network is not as large or as good as the Verizon Network
  • Neither Google, HTC nor T-Mobile have spent a significant amount of marketing dollars on the promotional campaign as of yet

The phone hardware is very similar to the Droid with the largest exception being the lack of physical keyboard. However, the Nexus One is rumored to come in at a significantly cheaper price point and require no contract. That is a pretty big plus if you are looking to try one out without a long term commitment.

We will of course keep an eye on things and keep everyone updated, in the mean time for those of you who are interested in the Nexus One, be sure to check out our sister site: Nexus One Forum

modified

Reaction score
I too think that the Droid will continue dominating that chart....until a new Verizon smartphone comes out. People tend to get the latest thing, like me :)

thistle

Reaction score
How much of the download volume is simply due to the fact that droid owners haven't downloaded all of the apps yet whereas users of other handsets have? Unless the company accounted for this somehow this graph doesn't seem to me to show relative usage between the handsets.

TekHawk

Reaction score
How much of the download volume is simply due to the fact that droid owners haven't downloaded all of the apps yet whereas users of other handsets have? Unless the company accounted for this somehow this graph doesn't seem to me to show relative usage between the handsets.

you have a good point but with the ammount of updates the other users where downloading it might not be to far off

tktouch12

Reaction score
the overall purchased number would be more telling. but anyway, what about the eris? is it too small to matter? because i personally think its a great phone (even though i eventually chose the droid (mistake?))

Digital_Cataclysm

Reaction score
Nexus One. In Verizon flavor - this Spring (* Supposedly).
That should put a stop to this...

Unless Motorola does the unthinkable, and gives us a new and Improved Droid 2 in a few short months, running the latest Android OS available at the time. New and Improved keyboard, first on that list please, Motorola.

...If Motorola DID that, do you think Google would be a bunch of *****es about it and be all like "Oh, well - we didn't see that coming - you having a NEW phone out so soon with all this great stuff... nope, sorry - we need to hold on to our latest Android build for OUR phones first.... come talk to us in like, 2 to 6 months".

Do you think Motorola's head would asplode?

Edmvr6

Reaction score
I think those stats will change big time after the Nexus arrives on Verizon..

cookiemomster

Reaction score
Unless Motorola does the unthinkable, and gives us a new and Improved Droid 2 in a few short months, running the latest Android OS available at the time. New and Improved keyboard, first on that list please, Motorola.
I am finally getting used to my keyboard. No, I am not super fast like before but it is now used at an acceptable level. Since it seems to be one single keyboard, would it be possible to get an aftermarket replacement on it? I think I really really love my Droid, the exact one I have.