Motorola Droid Case Reviews

D Roid

Reaction score
Ghost armor is sent from heaven!! I GA'd my phone all around. At first was uneasy about it restricting heat from reaching the circuitry, but it's good to go! I have a knack for dropping my phone as i get out of my car, so a case that extends above the screen is a must. Also i like the grip of a bit larger case.

I've tried a few low pro models from online, but i'm giving a shout out for Verizon's Black Shell/Holster combo (don't use holster). My girl said it's ribbed for my pleasure, forget her, it allows for a solid hold. Only downfall is the speaker is partially covered on both ends and I had to trim the on/off button corner piece with a hot razor. The Ghost armor kept the case from securing completely and impeded on the slide a bit, now it's golden.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ghost armor is sent from heaven!! I GA'd my phone all around. At first was uneasy about it restricting heat from reaching the circuitry, but it's good to go! I have a knack for dropping my phone as i get out of my car, so a case that extends above the screen is a must. Also i like the grip of a bit larger case.

I've tried a few low pro models from online, but i'm giving a shout out for Verizon's Black Shell/Holster combo (don't use holster). My girl said it's ribbed for my pleasure, forget her, it allows for a solid hold. Only downfall is the speaker is partially covered on both ends and I had to trim the on/off button corner piece with a hot razor. The Ghost armor kept the case from securing completely and impeded on the slide a bit, now it's golden.

Hey man I have that same case...but quit using it a while back...but I noticed that even though the case covers both sides of the speaker, it doesn't effect sound. Because the actual speaker is in the center of the gold strip, it doesn't extend all the way across like it would look it does. Play some music, and cover only those sides of the gold strip, and it won't effect the music, but then cover the center of the gold strip, and it muffles the sound...

pwjone1

Reaction score
Vaja Case for Droid now selling...

I'm happy enough with my Sena case for now, but I noticed that Vaja finally lists a Moto Droid case out on their web site:

attachment.php

Vaja - Leather Products

(Select Products/Phones/Motorola/Droid)

* Access to headphone jack
* Access to mute and lock buttons
* Optional personalization
* Cutout for USB port

Cost is kind of up there, and delivery time is quoted at 40+ days. The images seem to be for other phones, not clear if the USB port lines up on the Droid, but I assume that Vaja just hasn't updated the images yet. I am trying to figure out why the bottom is open on the sides, doesn't seem like the Droid would need that, the Sena cases generally do not, but it may be that the Vaja is thick enough that this is an aid to get the phone out of the case. At the price point, it would be kind of nice to see an actual Droid in the case, to see how the details all worked out, but Vaja cases are generally really good, so probably that's all fine.

So anyway, those of you that were looking for a really high-end case to go with your high-end Droid, the Vajas are orderable now. Have fun.

Paul W Jones

Attachments

• VajaDroid.jpg
    VajaDroid.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 781

pwjone1

Reaction score
Sena Kutu First Impressions

I just received a Sena Kutu for my Moto Droid. Here's the product URL:

blackblack.jpg

Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : Motorola-Droid-Kutu

First Impressions

• Very Well made
  • Nice pebble grained leather (easy to hold)
  • Fine Stitching in same color as leather (black in my case)
  • Soft Ribbon material with Leather Padded Pull for getting the phone out of the case
  • Soft Material Inside the Case to keep from scratching the phone

Generally the case is fairly sturdy, no slip boards or anything, but thicker leather, much more protective than say the Sena Ultra-slim. You end up a bit bulkier, but still pretty slim overall, maybe say 20mm (with pull). The bottom of the phone is totally covered and protected by the case, the top is open, but essentially flush. The pull is needed to get the phone out of the case, which otherwise fits kind of snug (probably it will loosen up with time). The slits on the back of the case are for an ID card or whatever, I did not try those out. Not a cheap case, but ultimately I think well worth the money.

Thumbs give some further views.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4391.JPG
    IMG_4391.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 279

DylC32A

Reaction score
First Impressions

• Very Well made
  • Nice pebble grained leather (easy to hold)
  • Fine Stitching in same color as leather (black in my case)
  • Soft Ribbon material with Leather Padded Pull for getting the phone out of the case
  • Soft Material Inside the Case to keep from scratching the phone

Generally the case is fairly sturdy, no slip boards or anything, but thicker leather, much more protective than say the Sena Ultra-slim. You end up a bit bulkier, but still pretty slim overall, maybe say 20mm (with pull). The bottom of the phone is totally covered and protected by the case, the top is open, but essentially flush. The pull is needed to get the phone out of the case, which otherwise fits kind of snug (probably it will loosen up with time). The slits on the back of the case are for an ID card or whatever, I did not try those out. Not a cheap case, but ultimately I think well worth the money.
I just picked up the Kutu black/black as well and I really like it so far. The case is, indeed, a bit pricey, but it's very well made and I feel it will offer a reasonable level of protection in situations where the phone is dropped, albeit not as much as some of the other cases out there. I feel like the slit on the back of the case for ID cards or whatever is a little pointless, but that's just my own opinion. Overall, great case :)

Rorbotron

Reaction score
Alright so I've read through the thread and most of it is all over the place. There doesn't seem to be a overall winner in the droid case department and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have the body glove case and like the feel and protection it provides even though there isn't something covering the screen besides the protector I have on it.

If I have a gripe it's the top portion that MAYBE covers the mic a little bit. My family which is verizon can hear me fine but whenever I talk with my gf who is currently on sprint she has trouble hearing me. I've read a few reviews that mention the top portion muffles the mic but then read others that don't mention it at all. Is this a issue with the Body glove case? Also since this is my first post and I'm entirely new to the site is there a consensus case people seem to be using? Is the Seido (sp) that case?

I ask because I just picked up my droid and can very easily return the body glove case. I want something that is going to protect my phone from falls which basically elminates the pouch because I'm not using it in the pouch so if I drop it, it's naked. I'm at a loss.

EDIT: I could use an exacto knife to open up the portion near the mic if necessary but if there is a consensus approved case out there I'd rather return the body glove and use the recommended case.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I think I'd rather find the case I want than have the 2.1 upgrade. Leather, velcro and belt loop. Anyone see such a case??
TIA

Rorbotron

Reaction score
I just said screw it and ordered the seidio case and cradle combo and a screen protector to put me over 50 so I could use the 10% coupon code for Valentine's day. Total came to 52.11 shipped priority mail. Essentially got the screen protector free which is fine by me.

droidzer

Reaction score

Leather Case for Motorola Milestone A855 – Book Type (Black/Crocodile Pattern) – Official Product Link

Here you go, here is my first review on my new phone that I bought couple of weeks ago.
The phone itself is very sweet, I never owned an Android phone prior to this one, so I had no previous comparison with another Android system, but this thing is crisp, surfing the net is fast, it has done more than enough for me.
Nice huh?

Motorola Milestone
Anyway, back to the leather case itself…
Received it couple of days ago so the case itself has been in service for quite a few days already.
I was hoping to go with a crocodile skin pattern flip type case. The phone fits snuggly into the case itself, the fitting is actually better than I expected. As you can see, from the picture from the link i provided, none of the functional buttons are blocked off at all

Noticed on the side that it has a smaller leather patch to secure the position of the phone, which is good, because it helps with heat dissipation and giving you easy access to the side buttons.

To sum it up, this is a nice leather case, obviously with careful designs, none of the features are covered up by the case itself, and the magnetic clipping does not put the phone in dock mode also. It provides the phone with luxury protections at the same time functionality does not suffer from it.

pwjone1

Reaction score

Leather Case for Motorola Milestone A855 – Book Type (Black/Crocodile Pattern) – Official Product Link

Here you go, here is my first review on my new phone that I bought couple of weeks ago.
The phone itself is very sweet, I never owned an Android phone prior to this one, so I had no previous comparison with another Android system, but this thing is crisp, surfing the net is fast, it has done more than enough for me.
Nice huh?

Motorola Milestone
Anyway, back to the leather case itself…
Received it couple of days ago so the case itself has been in service for quite a few days already.
I was hoping to go with a crocodile skin pattern flip type case. The phone fits snuggly into the case itself, the fitting is actually better than I expected. As you can see, from the picture from the link i provided, none of the functional buttons are blocked off at all

Noticed on the side that it has a smaller leather patch to secure the position of the phone, which is good, because it helps with heat dissipation and giving you easy access to the side buttons.

To sum it up, this is a nice leather case, obviously with careful designs, none of the features are covered up by the case itself, and the magnetic clipping does not put the phone in dock mode also. It provides the phone with luxury protections at the same time functionality does not suffer from it.

Thanks for the review, the PDAir cases are interesting, although I'm not sure I would have gone crocodile, the smoother or pebble finishes are more to my liking, ala (same model):

3BMODDF41_1.200x200.jpg

It's kind of funny, actually, I used to buy belt cases for my PDAs and data-phones, kind of evolved over time to actually horizontal (generally more comfortable when sitting, didn't press as much on the leg), although an HTC phone came with a vertical pouch (without belt loop, for pocket use, I think a lot of women use the same for purses), free (something Moto could learn from). I eventually came around to putting the phone in that case and in turn into my pants pocket (LCD face inwards, so that the phone+case take any impacts on the back, less chance of damage, granted on a Droid there's still the camera+Flash to worry about). Just seems to get less jostling and impacts that way. Although the trade-off is that when you're sitting, and the phone goes off, it's not as quick a draw, but you also look a little less geeky (and here, I'm not one to throw stones, I at one time had both a phone holster, and a PDA holster, occasionally a beeper, I felt like Batman with his utility belt). Granted, people might look at the bulge in your pants and, well. :smile:

Paul W Jones

pwjone1

Reaction score
I think I'd rather find the case I want than have the 2.1 upgrade. Leather, velcro and belt loop. Anyone see such a case??
TIA

They are around, various options, although I have a decent case or two myself, what I want next is the Android 2.1 upgrade :)

If you're not too wedded to the Velcro (which from my experience, can be kind of noisy), there's a fairly decent looking Piel Frama out now for the Moto Droid:

motorola_droid.jpg

Motorola Droid cases PIEL FRAMA

(comes in various colors, I showed the tan as it's a bit easier to see the details. obviously a gorgeous case (not too sure though that they shouldn't have reversed the phone (think of where the protective flap hangs when you're talking on the phone), looks like it could work either horizontally or vertically. and I will warn you, this one's not cheap)

But if you are wedded to the Velcro, you could go with the more or less stock Verizon Wireless variant, which looks like:

Vera855D.JPG

And there's a Cellet variation (various phone stores and eBay):

LEXEP1.jpg

Here's the google search that will show the latter two:

Motorola Droid Case Velcro Belt Leather - Google Product Search

pwjone1

Reaction score
I just picked up the Kutu black/black as well and I really like it so far. The case is, indeed, a bit pricey, but it's very well made and I feel it will offer a reasonable level of protection in situations where the phone is dropped, albeit not as much as some of the other cases out there. I feel like the slit on the back of the case for ID cards or whatever is a little pointless, but that's just my own opinion. Overall, great case :)

After fiddling a bit more with the Sena Kutu, and trying to figure out why I'd want business cards in a phone case (I carry both business and private cards in my wallet), I had a "duh" moment, realized that it would be kind of a handy thing, for if I lost or misplaced the phone. I run with a phone lock on, no way actually for someone to see who to return the phone to. But if you have a card, then they have a contact. Problem of course is, they won't reach you at your mobile number, but hey, it's not a perfect scheme.

It would be nice if the phone and credit card companies could get together, and figure out a way via Bluetooth or wireless, to let my cell phone be a charge card (and ID card), also, so I could ditch the wallet, but I reckon that won't happen any time soon. Seems kind of an obvious thing, that should be on someones To-Do list. (I do realize there are Apps for taking pictures of the ID cards, but basically I'm really lazy, I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket, just want to push a button ala some of the Infinity car entry/start systems (come to think of it, my Droid should do that too :) )).

pwjone1

Reaction score
TIA

Another couple of variants, these are from Fortte (another pretty good quality manufacturer):

Leather pda cases for your Motorola Droid (Verizon), Book Model for Motorola Droid (Verizon), Lateral Pouch Velcro for Motorola Droid (Verizon), Le Soft for Motorola Droid (Verizon) and Vertical Pouch Velcro for Motorola Droid (Verizon)

resizeImage.php

This one opens to the side, velcro. You presumably take it off the belt to use or answer the phone. For ones like this (and the earlier Piel Frama), you get maybe a little better protection (there's nothing showing, screen or camera, outside), but I always tell people that buy this sort of case, think of where the flap hangs (you don't want it hitting your head or cheek or whatever).

Here's another, more traditional variant:

resizeImage.php

horizontal holster. I was never all that keen on cases that left the corners unprotected, Murphy's Law says that's where you'll invariably end up crunching into something, but you do need a way of getting the phone out of the case, so...

Another variant, vertical holster:

resizeImage.php

All run maybe in the high $20s, low $30s.

Burtonbell

Reaction score
I had the body glove snap on case for my Droid but it kept sliding off by the volume buttons when I opened the phone. I returned it to the Verizon store and bought the clear plastic case for it and have not had any problems with it yet.
It doesn't slip out of my hand or scratch easily which is what I feared most when I bought it.

My wife has the Eris body glove case and that fits perfectly and she has had no problems with it.

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....i have the PIEL FRAMA case about 2 months....it's been very good....have dropped it....had it thrown into my dashboard when another driver decided not to brake behind me....clip is still tight and no cracks-snap still snaps perfect....best part is i can turn it either way....no i don't like the flap up, but i am kinda used to it now....and it's a plus for me because i am in the rain and snow sometimes and it covers the phone with it's leather hinge....i did put my old dare plug into the headphone/mike hole fyi....never will understand why that little plug no longer comes with a phone....yeah it cost a lot-but it is a very good case, and i'm very tough on cases....another point advantage, the clip is very easy to remove from the belt and when not out and about i leave it on the case, turn it sideways and it raises up the phone for a better view angle....this should last a long time....end of story :rating10: