Motorola Droid Bionic Joins the Droid Family!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Go with the Bionic there isn't a real difference between that and the atrix except the laptop capabilities. Plus the Bionic is early Q2 why wait till Q4 when you can have the same thing sooner.

2. Loooney2ns

Loooney2ns Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still don't understand why there are 2 phones in the first place. They are so similar, they could have been the same, even with 2 different names. This would have saved Motorola millions of dollars in production costs, as well as reducing the number of accessories they have to produce. It had to be pressure from one or both of the phone companies. Motorola would have had twice as many potential customers for the laptop accessory, me included. I would have sold my laptop. I won't go to AT&T and I'm not waiting until Q3-Q4 for a new phone.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Maybe, but the Bionic is LTE and the Atrix is not. Looks to me like mfrs are making trade-offs to keep phones in that sweet spot of $200-$250 contract pricing.

I think the Atrix may have missed the boat a little. There are tablets that snap into a keyboard to basically become a netbook, and so that's what the Atrix should have been. Maybe not there, yet, since the lapdock or whatever you call it basically only does browsing and some cloud stuff.

My guess in 2012 we see the 3-in-1 smartphone device and that will be a real game changer. $300 contract for the phone and maybe another $300 for a tablet and keyboard and you really have something.

4. wingdo

wingdo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well now it gets all interesting for me. My AT&T Account Manager is tempting me to go back to the Dark Side by offering a free Atrix when they come out.

5. bhall238

bhall238 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere around $150 for the Atrix laptop dock. Anyone else see that or was I dreaming?

6. aRsTwiX

aRsTwiX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I asked the store rep at Verizon and he looked clueless when I asked about the Bionic.

I would say if you can live without a laptop dock buy the Bionic.

I know how you feel about upgrading. I've been using this joke of a touchscreen called a LG Chocolate Touch and am going to hop on the smartphone bandwagon as it becomes available.

I hate the Storms though. Was thinking about getting the Storm 2 til I picked it up and played with it and the 4 corner buttons were just weird...

7. aRsTwiX

aRsTwiX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just guessing. It will probably be somewhere above $100 (I've heard the $150 rumor a few times so it's not just you)

8. shdowman

shdowman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Around $150 makes sense...although I would look for it online soon after and you'll get it cheaper. Look at it this way..if you were to pay for an lcd screen and a bluetooth keyboard, how much roughly would that run ya? Keeping in mind that you get no portability.

Personally the ability to use your phone like that is a game changer in my personal opinion. I wont get one as I wont leave vzw, but small incremental specs in phones don't get me excited. The Atrix is the first phone since the iphone where I have said "wow..cool!!!"

By the way, yes it has a modified os for the docks, that doesn't mean that it wont utilize that 1gb RAM in its normal phone state (for the poster earlier who explained the double ram as not that big of deal)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

9. aRsTwiX

aRsTwiX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A phone can't allocate a certain amount for a 2nd operating system then be able to use the whole 1 GB RAM when that 2nd operating system is not in use.

They create partitions for each operating system to use.

And in all honestly, a phone running 1 GB RAM all the time with the same battery as a Bionic would suck the life out of it real quick.

10. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The ram is always running anyway. The other os is always running in the background from what I understand.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. aRsTwiX

aRsTwiX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Source? I would think that would be a retarded design flaw to run half the ram that isnt used until the dock is plugged in.

Sure I've seen "simultaneously" but that doesn't mean all the time.

12. wingdo

wingdo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well pricing for the Atrix and dock are out finally. $199 for the Atrix, $499 for the dock, or $499 total if bought all at once.

No more Atrix envy from me. :)

Search tags for this page
android bionic verizon
bionic phone
droid bioni,

droid bionic

droid bionic phone
droidverizonbionic
motorola bionic
motorola droid bionic
motorola droid bionic jelly bean
verizon android bionic