Motorola Droid A855 Upgrade to Droid A955 Keypad?

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah, the phone is quite a bit snappier. This with a great ROM and tweaking and my phone really does run like a pissed off, drugged up, rodeo bull.

Droids

Reaction score
Other than a possible but unlikely keyboard replacement there is no reason to attempt an upgrade. The D2 will soon be cheap enough to just buy it. Since the form factor is the same between the two the guts may fit. But its not worth it. The parts would cost more than the phone.

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score
Ok, so it's official, I have a friend who broke his Droid 2 and is parting it out. He is sending me the keyboard setup for free, so I'll be deciding this thread in the next week or so, keep an eye out for it!

armoayjay

Reaction score
Hell yeah I really wanna see if this could work plz give us updates wen u can

illmatic636

Reaction score
I'm just going to root for you. This thread is a bit silly if you ask me. Hope you have insurance on it!

shmoo

Reaction score
Bump? I'm going to assume that it didn't work :( bummer

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a question related to this topic - hopefully somebody has done this or knows how to do this...

I got a crack on the directional pad of my rubber keyboard and I want to replace it. Now I've seen replacement parts (i.e. the entire rubber keypad) for around $5 online and I'm just wondering how difficult it is to swap out. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to replace the actual keyboard, just the rubber overlay. The crack doesn't effect the function of the device, it just pisses me off that it has a crack now and I'm stuck with this device for the near future.

I read in an earlier post that the rubber overlay is glued to the actual keyboard, is this correct? If so, can it just be pulled up and replaced without having to take the device apart? That would be ideal...

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score
UPDATE-

I FINALLY got a hold of a a955 with a bad ESN. So tonight and tomorrow, I will be doing many tests with my a855 and this other one. We will finally have this question answered in the next 24 hours. For all of you who subscribed, thank you for being interested.

cloud12077

Reaction score
UPDATE-

I FINALLY got a hold of a a955 with a bad ESN. So tonight and tomorrow, I will be doing many tests with my a855 and this other one. We will finally have this question answered in the next 24 hours. For all of you who subscribed, thank you for being interested.

Good luck!

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score
Ok, so MOST of the keyboard works. I am going to make a diagram of what keys do not work or have different symbols when you press it. All in all, it would work, since all of the letter, directions, alt/caps buttons, enter, 0-9, all work... just random symbols and like the search button do not work. I am pretty excited that I got to try it though.

D

dankarlinski

This ought to be an interesting outcome, no matter which way it goes

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.5)

triptych

Reaction score
Would you be able to talk a dev into merging the keyboard driver software? I'm fairly certain you can custom map keys by modifying the Latin ime apk

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

209pcs

Reaction score
I picked a used A855 off of Craigslist the other day to replace one that had been dropped about 6 months ago. The first thing I noticed was the keyboard - it was not like the keyboard on my previous Droid. This one had raised buttons whereas my last Droid keyboard had flat buttons. As a person with big fingers this made it hard to type, and now with the 'new' Droid that problem is gone. I've been searching the Internet high and low to see if anyone could shed any light on this, and this thread was the closest I came. I'll continue to do more research into this as my curiosity is driving me crazy, but I wanted to post these pics here to see if anyone has any insight.

3vil

Reaction score
I picked a used A855 off of Craigslist the other day to replace one that had been dropped about 6 months ago. The first thing I noticed was the keyboard - it was not like the keyboard on my previous Droid. This one had raised buttons whereas my last Droid keyboard had flat buttons. As a person with big fingers this made it hard to type, and now with the 'new' Droid that problem is gone. I've been searching the Internet high and low to see if anyone could shed any light on this, and this thread was the closest I came. I'll continue to do more research into this as my curiosity is driving me crazy, but I wanted to post these pics here to see if anyone has any insight.

I believe that the raised keys were on some of the droids that were produced early in the production. The keys were later changed to the flat ones because people were having trouble with the keys catching and ripping, when sliding the screen.