Motorola Droid A855 Upgrade to Droid A955 Keypad?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I guarantee it wont work.

If its that big of a deal why not just get a Droid 2 and have all the benefits of an upgraded phone?

lol cmon, no need to shoot down his idea.

maybe he's not eligible for upgrade and doesn't wanna pay the full price. If all he's looking for is the keyboard upgrade, why not let him try? Hell if it's an easy mod i would do it myself as well.

triptych

Reaction score
D2 keyboard in an a855 would be sweet. Please do a write up if all goes well

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score

If its that big of a deal why not just get a Droid 2 and have all the benefits of an upgraded phone?

lol cmon, no need to shoot down his idea.

maybe he's not eligible for upgrade and doesn't wanna pay the full price. If all he's looking for is the keyboard upgrade, why not let him try? Hell if it's an easy mod i would do it myself as well.

Im not trying to be mean, just being real. Ive been repairing and tweaking electronics like cell phones for awhile and "most" of the time, even between upgrades to the same device, if hardware profiles change at all they are usually not interchangable with each other.

Why? Dunno, Im guessing the manufacturers do this to keep people from doing just what he wants to do, and force them to replace their devices with the newer model.

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score
And that's exactly why I am doing it. To find out. I mean... The keypad was $11 shipped. There is no reason NOT to try it.

cpjr

Reaction score
Also, Im willing to bet that part you ordered is simply the keypad (just the buttons) and not the actual keyboard itself. Which wouldnt do you any good.

Hope Im wrong, that would be cool to swap out...when I had a Droid 1 my biggest complaint was the crappy keyboard.

Milton515

Reaction score
Keep us updated on your progress.... Because I was wondering the same thing, because I really don't like how close the keys are together on the hardware keyboard.... I have big thumbs and always hit more than one key when I use it

Sent from D1 running UD1.0.0 with Launcher Pro Plus with Red Theme and stock UD kernel

Coolsaber57

Reaction score

Ah, all the benefits including....a locked bootloader ;)

cpjr

Reaction score

I guess....I would rather have all the hardware upgrades of the D2 personally. I have the X now and could care less that the bootloader is locked, I can do everything I need to with it, any mods I want, overclocking, custom ROM and theming and the phone screams. There is nothing I could do with my old D1 that I cant do with the X.

I think people make a much bigger stink about the bootloader just because....

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score

Do you think this would happen? Basically this would be my findings indefinitely if this happened, making me just put a Milestone keypad back in it's place.

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score

Do you think this would happen? Please elaborate your statement.

He's talking about the D2.

Ah. good.

Just to avoid any problems incurred with my personal ESN mobo, I will first attempt to put the keyboard into a D1 with a bad ESN, this should avoid all problems with losing my main phone. God knows I have enough of them from parts phones in that cell parts bin.

OP
N

Nerofmx

Reaction score
Well that product was just the keys and not the board and ribbon. So I will keep an eye out still for the whole setup.

shmoo

Reaction score
This is a really interesting concept. I will be keeping my eye on this thread. Good luck sir!

cpjr

Reaction score
Well that product was just the keys and not the board and ribbon. So I will keep an eye out still for the whole setup.

Im not going to say I told you so ;)

Droids

Reaction score
This picture shows what I thought would be the actual keyboard. I was under the impression the "keyboard" was just glued to the phone and a ribbon cable (from the ribbon harness) plugs into it. Are you saying the ribbon is permanently attached to the keyboard and the keyboard is more than just what is shown?
yhst-95074494282087_2131_10034092