Motorola Droid 4 Gets New Update with Some Bug Fixes and Feature Enhancements

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-4-update.png

The current Champion of the Droids, the Motorola Droid 4 is getting a new update, version 6.13.219. This new update has a few bug fixes and small enhancements. Here's a breakdown:
  • Device Features
  • + Enhanced loud call end and connect tones over Bluetooth.®
  • + Power On function has been fixed.
  • + Improved battery life.
  • + Improvements made to reduce touch screen lockups, device sluggishness and blank screen lockups.
  • + Keypad backlight only launches when needed.
  • Applications & Widgets
  • + Successfully receive Visual Voice Mail notifications.
  • + MotoCastTM widget can be added to home screen and thumbnail view.
  • + Improved text message delivery when using the Messaging application.
  • Network Connectivity
  • + Improvements to Wi-Fi connectivity.
And... here is a description of how to manually get it:
1) Download this file and place it in the root of your SD card on your phone.

2) Power the phone off and when it reboots, hold down the Power button and volume keys at the same time. This will take you to the bootloader menu.

3) Select Recovery with the volume up key and press down both volume buttons when the exclamation point appears.

4) Go down to “Apply update from sdcard.” You’ll want to select this with the device’s power button.

5) Scroll down and select the name of the file that you just downloaded. It will be called ‘Blur_Version.6.13.215.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip’.

6) The update should install and you’ll have all of the fixes on board your Droid 4.
Enjoy!

Source: GottaBeMobile and Verizon - Droid 4 Update.pdf

Logan3824

Reaction score
So I'm still rocking the OG droid and I think I'm going to upgrade this weekend before the upgrade fee starts. As much as I love the features and everything about the nexus, I really like a physical keyboard and the durability of motorala. How does the D4 stand up against the other 4g giants?

Edit : I noticed the droid 4 has some purplish color on the camera and on the video, do they have any updates from developers increasing the quality of the video? I know that the D4 shoots in higher FPS than nexus but the quality seems better.

Such a hard decision to make >_> :icon_eek:

silverfang77

Reaction score
Glad I'm not getting this till July. By then all these bugs should be worked out.

technique

Reaction score
  • MotoCastTM widget can be added to home screen and thumbnail view <-- What is Thumbnail view?

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Hesitant to apply this simply because I've modded the crap out of my stock setup. I don't like unfreezing apps, and I'm leery of it killing root and/or some of my system tweaks (including the tether).

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It seems that all Android devices are plagued with wifi issues. I take my ASUS tf101 to wifi hotspots and even with strong signal the wifi will toggle itself on and off randomly. When I use my tablet and phones at home the wifi icon on the phone will sometimes turn white which still allows connectivity to my network share but not to the internet. I have to use the WiFi Fixer app/widget on my Android devices. Google is becoming more and more like Microsoft everyday. Incompatibility between their products and services (Chrome browser v.s. GMail). Sometimes gmail or other google sites don't function properly in the Chrome browser :blink:. Now we just keep getting these "patches" like Android is a moth-eaten ragdoll that needs to be patched and stitched up from time to time. If these companies were less focused on meeting deadlines and pushing products out asap and more focused on quality and quality-control they won't have to continually release this many patches and updates.

android-patched-01.jpg

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Guess if I did any UI customization, the update process tells me to kick rocks. Lawl.

So much for my being worried I suppose. I'll wait until I have to SBF this sucker, or get the ICS update I suppose. :p

Byakushiki

Reaction score
It seems that all Android devices are plagued with wifi issues. I take my ASUS tf101 to wifi hotspots and even with strong signal the wifi will toggle itself on and off randomly. When I use my tablet and phones at home the wifi icon on the phone will sometimes turn white which still allows connectivity to my network share but not to the internet. I have to use the WiFi Fixer app/widget on my Android devices. Google is becoming more and more like Microsoft everyday. Incompatibility between their products and services (Chrome browser v.s. GMail). Sometimes gmail or other google sites don't function properly in the Chrome browser :blink:. Now we just keep getting these "patches" like Android is a moth-eaten ragdoll that needs to be patched and stitched up from time to time. If these companies were less focused on meeting deadlines and pushing products out asap and more focused on quality and quality-control they won't have to continually release this many patches and updates.

View attachment 49253

...On the bright side, in comparison, Apple's iPhone 4, during its debut, had internet connectivity issues with...You guessed it, Wi-Fi.
Not all is so bad :biggrin:

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
...On the bright side, in comparison, Apple's iPhone 4, during its debut, had internet connectivity issues with...You guessed it, Wi-Fi.
Not all is so bad :biggrin:
You just shared (additional) common ground between Apple and Android. I personally do not sit well with that thought. :p

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Thanks to OTA RootKeeper I was able to restore root after installing this update :biggrin: After installing my WiFi signal strength was at no bars even though I am in the same room as the wireless router. Used WiFi Fixer to reassociate the wifi, now it's at full strength. We'll see how it works over time.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Guess if I did any UI customization, the update process tells me to kick rocks. Lawl.

So much for my being worried I suppose. I'll wait until I have to SBF this sucker, or get the ICS update I suppose. :p

Well don't get too risky because as far as I know an sbf has yet to be leaked.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

neoj2

Reaction score
Thanks to OTA RootKeeper I was able to restore root after installing this update :biggrin: After installing my WiFi signal strength was at no bars even though I am in the same room as the wireless router. Used WiFi Fixer to reassociate the wifi, now it's at full strength. We'll see how it works over time.
Nice find for OTA Rootkeeper. I wanted to update my girlfriends D4 but afraid it would lose root. That app looks to disregard those fears. I wonder with this update is it still possible to flash the current ICS roms or wait till one is developed for new update?

krazienluv10

Reaction score
was looking at the download files, why is the one we downloaded is 215, while the verizon is a 219 file? wouldnt verizons 219 be more uptodate?

boddah

Reaction score
I think it's a Verizon/Moto thing, the updates are named by the system you come FROM, not the one it updates to